cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of October 16, 2018: This offer is now expired.

Hey Community,

Effective July 18th, 2018 as a competitive response, we are bringing back our 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 plan for a limited time only!

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

310 REPLIES 310

beleaf67
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@mimmo wrote:

Once you have an active account. Go to switch plan and then select the new plan, there you will have two options one of which is change on next renewal

Thank you 🙂

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Once you have an active account. Go to switch plan and then select the new plan, there you will have two options one of which is change on next renewal

beleaf67

@mimmo wrote:

@beleaf67 wrote:

Thank you,

Since I'm still on Fido $15/month 3gb LTE plan (on my dual sim phones) for anohter 2 months and I don't want to pay $20 cancellation fees (times 2 for my and my wife) .  I'm thinking about keeping fido for data, get $25 voice/txt for now and in December switch to $40/month plan.  Hopefully the special will be still on 🙂

@beleaf67 you could get the 25$ plan for 90 day term and then futuredate the 40 promo which locks in the plan.  

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but how do I future date $40 plan with 90 days/$75 plan?  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@beleaf67 wrote:

Thank you,

Since I'm still on Fido $15/month 3gb LTE plan (on my dual sim phones) for anohter 2 months and I don't want to pay $20 cancellation fees (times 2 for my and my wife) .  I'm thinking about keeping fido for data, get $25 voice/txt for now and in December switch to $40/month plan.  Hopefully the special will be still on 🙂

@beleaf67 you could get the 25$ plan for 90 day term and then futuredate the 40 promo which locks in the plan.  

beleaf67

Thank you,

@beleaf67 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

For $120 package the 90 days plan for unlimted talk/text + 3gb of 4LTE;  is the 3gb for data for a month or is it for 90 days (combined)?

Ever since 3G speed plans options have been added, the full speed LTE plans have become so over priced, I would not recommend it to anyone under any circumstance.  They used to offer a bit of a price advantage for signing up 90 day duration plans, but not anymore.  Unfortunately, the only worthwhile plans are 30 days long and 3G data speed.  Having said that, the one thing this service offers a lot of is migration opportunities to the Koodo brand.  If you do sign up for a $40/4.5GB plan it would not be surprising to see an offer before the end of the year.  Koodo plans are full speed LTE and at prices much better than what this brand offers. 

@beleaf67 wrote:

THanks so much guys 😛

hanks so much :-). My wife and I use dual SIM phones Petro (voice) and Fido (data). During recent/current power down to the Tornado in Ottawa (we just got power restored and even previously) we always had issues with our house location in Barrhaven/Ottawa to get good signal with rogers towers, and we being without power for over 48hrs we had to drive around around our neighborhood to get any NEWS updates and it was very painful to do it.  
Therefore I HAVE to move away from Rogers, and I think PM is good choice as they use Telus/Bell towers.

Looking at this: (thanks for the link)

I should be in much better shape with PM than I'm with Rogers. (for my house location).

Is the 3G much slower than 4LTE I'm currently using with FIDO 3gb $15/month? I'm not watching videos (i.e. youtube), just regular browsing, facebook, tweeter, waze for gps driving and my son uses Instagram. However I would hate it if it was much slower... I guess I could go for 90 days $120 for 3gb of LTE or $135 for 6gb of LTE.

Please advise.

@beleaf67, I also have Fido 3GB data only plans which are used in tablets.  For pure downloads, you will notice a difference compared to these LTE lite (3G speed plans).  Otherwise, watching video and doing social media, there is virtually zero difference.  Here is a fairly recent test of 3G vs LTE that may help you decide.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3G-vs-LTE/m-p/248442

@beleaf67

For that plan that you choose (build your own plan), it is 3 GB for the whole 3 months and province wide calling only. 

beleaf67

Thanks for the info.

For $120 package the 90 days plan for unlimted talk/text + 3gb of 4LTE;  is the 3gb for data for a month or is it for 90 days (combined)?

@beleaf67, you'll be more than fine on the throttled LTE plan, of '3G Speeds'.  It's LTE, just not all the speed behind it.  When you sign up, you will have the full speed for up to 72 hours, before the speed threshold is set.

I'm currently on the FULL LTE, and as I don't get the higher speeds where I live and work, I'm down-grading next cycle to the $40/30-day 4.5 3G Speed plan.  However, at $135 for 90-day the 6 GB LTE isn't a bad price if you feel you need the LTE speeds.

Have you ever performed a speed test on your Fido plans?  The 3G speeds are capped at 3000 Mbps, and if need be, you could force your phone to connect to actual 3G signal for data, and perhaps get faster speeds.

beleaf67

THanks so much guys 😛

hanks so much :-). My wife and I use dual SIM phones Petro (voice) and Fido (data). During recent/current power down to the Tornado in Ottawa (we just got power restored and even previously) we always had issues with our house location in Barrhaven/Ottawa to get good signal with rogers towers, and we being without power for over 48hrs we had to drive around around our neighborhood to get any NEWS updates and it was very painful to do it.  
Therefore I HAVE to move away from Rogers, and I think PM is good choice as they use Telus/Bell towers.

Looking at this: (thanks for the link)

I should be in much better shape with PM than I'm with Rogers. (for my house location).

Is the 3G much slower than 4LTE I'm currently using with FIDO 3gb $15/month? I'm not watching videos (i.e. youtube), just regular browsing, facebook, tweeter, waze for gps driving and my son uses Instagram. However I would hate it if it was much slower... I guess I could go for 90 days $120 for 3gb of LTE or $135 for 6gb of LTE.

Please advise.

Souky123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Need unlimited data

Souky123

Awesome they just need unlimited data in which they can do going lte 4g 3g throttling it down which makes unlimited data

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can also order a SIM direct from Public Mobile for $10+tax (free shipping). As the others said, there seem to be regular promotions both online and in-store, usually slightly different and one might be better for you than the other. For example, most recently they had an online offer that gave you $25 credit, and an in-store offer of free SIM and 2nd month free. If you were signing up for the $10 plan, the online offer was a better deal. If you were signing up for $40 plan (for example), the in-store offer was a better deal.

No matter what plan you sign up for, you will want to give an existing PM customer's number as a referral when you sign up. But note that after you sign up and try it (and decide you like it), when you sign up your wife as a new customer, you will be the person doing the referring. That way you get both the referrer and referee bonus, if any. The default no-promotions referral bonuses are $10 to the new customer, and $1/mo to the existing customer. 

Depending on your urgency (and how much you want to switch) you could consider waiting for a promotion, or just bite the bullet and get a $10 SIM on some plan with a referral.

In terms of testing the service quality (both Fido and Petrocan use Rogers network, Public Mobile uses Bell/Telus), you could sign up for this $40 plan, or cheaper would be the $10 plan (50 minutes + 50 texts + UL incoming texts) and a $10 data Add-On (200MB). But if you like PM, it's $20 wasted. 🙂

FWIW, you mentioned poor service on Rogers-based carriers in Barrhaven. This map is great for seeing where towers are, on PM you will use Telus or Bell. https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

=aw

@beleaf67 wrote:

HI Guys,

I'm total noob at PM.  I'm looking to move from Fido(data) and Petero(voice), very bad service in Barrhaven (Ottawa).   I'm planning to try this plan and if it works fine move my wife and my wife on it.   Where is the best place to buy sim, walmart in Ottawa?  is there a way to get free sim(s) and what about referal bonus, do I need a friend with PM number?   Is the phone # transfer from Petro(rogers) free?

Thanks,
Martin

WalMart There are over 400 WalMart locations across Canada. Find the store closest to you by clicking here.

The Mobile Shop. There are nearly 200 The Mobile Shop locations across Canada, located in places like Loblaws and Real Canadian Superstore. Find the store closest to you by clicking here.

Wow! Mobile boutique. Not very many but in a lot of major cities. Find the closest to you by clicking here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@beleaf67 wrote:

HI Guys,

I'm total noob at PM.  I'm looking to move from Fido(data) and Petero(voice), very bad service in Barrhaven (Ottawa).   I'm planning to try this plan and if it works fine move my wife and my wife on it.   Where is the best place to buy sim, walmart in Ottawa?  is there a way to get free sim(s) and what about referal bonus, do I need a friend with PM number?   Is the phone # transfer from Petro(rogers) free?

Thanks,
Martin

SIM's are available at Walmart, Wow Mobile, K Mobile, The Mobile Shop (Loblaws/Superstore).

If you're not in any rush, keep an eye out here for announcements of promos. They seem to happen somewhat frequently. I made the mistake of plunging on in without being aware of this and saw a couple promos go by that I would've liked to have enjoyed.

You would need to know someone with an active PM account to get the referral. Sometimes there are promos on that as well.

Number porting is free.

beleaf67

HI Guys,

Thanks,
Martin

hamaida

I just got 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40 and 8 GB at 3G speed for $50
I switch all my cell numbers to PM. We like it better than Freedom.

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

it's a great way to save and have awesome service!!

Souky123

Correct and you save another $2 off your plan

Willaug56

So if I use autopay I don't have to do anything but just pay 

ckw888

I agree with all good and positive feedbacks. Consider the competition is just heating up, we can enjoy these premium plan for a long time.

You can keep renewing the plan.  It will not change, UNLESS you are given at least 30 days notice from Public Mobile of a change.

You should not expect a change any time soon.

Souky123

You stay on the same plan unless you change it

Willaug56

Waiting for my sim just ordered this morning hoping this plan lasts, after the 30 days can I keep this plan or will have to switch to another how does that work

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ckw888 wrote:

Found this offer one week ago and switched from other vendor. The switching is pretty much painless. I switch because my old vendor's connectivity in my house is at the border of the service. Public is has very good coverage. My experience is very positive in the area of Ottawa.

Yes, I have found the same with Public Mobile in terms of coverage in the Ottawa-area. Unless you are in centretown all the time, it makes little sense to use any provider outside of the Telus or Bell networks if you require reliable service.

@ckw888 wrote:

Found this offer one week ago and switched from other vendor. The switching is pretty much painless. I switch because my old vendor's connectivity in my house is at the border of the service. Public is has very good coverage. My experience is very positive in the area of Ottawa.

Welcome, PM works on the Telus network so it is pretty good. Glad you are having a positive experience.

ckw888

lanlin

Thank you. Just changed my plan to this one.

Wongster94

I got this plan yesterday and rly enjoying it. Definitely gonna be saving a few bucks when prices eventually go up in the future. Thx!

Need Help? Let's chat.