cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of October 16, 2018: This offer is now expired.

Hey Community,

Effective July 18th, 2018 as a competitive response, we are bringing back our 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 plan for a limited time only!

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

310 REPLIES 310

jace829
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yay! Just joined Public Mobile from Koodo! Having to adjust to longer service response times will take a bit of time for me, but for the price and the amount of data I'm getting, this is probably one of the best deals around. Excited!

@computergeek541, when I looked at the page this afternoon, the more detail page said in zone.  I know I have a vision impairment, but my magnification was large enough to read with ease.

If it has changed since I looked at it, my information was correct at the time I wrote it.

EDIT.  So, now I see I was looking at the 5.5 plan earlier, which is a zone plan.  If I had kept scrolling, I would have found the correct plan.  Sorry, my mistake.

@stonechucker wrote:

I looked at the ad on Lucky today... they're still Zone plans... however, they throttle data at no charge after full use (in Zone).

The current version of the $40/4.5GB plan at Lucky Mobile isn't a zoned plan.  I'm uncertain if Lucky does "unlimited" on this plan.  Not long ago, Lucky also offered $45/5.5 unzoned, but now they are only offering this as an in-zone plan.

I looked at the ad on Lucky today... they're still Zone plans... however, they throttle data at no charge after full use (in Zone).

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

MobileSyrup forgot to mention the $5 auto-topup credit only last for 5 months.

But the last line of the article caught my attention:

Bell is also planning to bring Lucky Mobile customers an app that enables talk and text over Wi-Fi by the end of 2018.

That is what a number of PM customers are waiting for. 

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Lucky called me today to get to switch because I was with Virgin before they said and the new plan would be great they said. I don't see any positive for me as my plan is better value for my $$

cappaj

@ToniCipriani wrote:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/08/08/lucky-mobile-4-5gb-plan-back-to-school-bell/

Time to match Bell's competitive response to your competitive response?

Hmmm, if they could get something together today before my plan renews tonight, that'd be great.

ToniCipriani

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/08/08/lucky-mobile-4-5gb-plan-back-to-school-bell/

Time to match Bell's competitive response to your competitive response?

JanD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great deal!

win2018
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

it is so nice deal. I just changed to this plan

Tony6688

I switched to PM recently from Freedom Mobile and can compare coverage. Now I have access to the network from my basement desk, but before no service when I had horrible freedom mobile. 

I am so happy now.

Watoko

Got a SIM card ordered for a friend for this promo. Hold the train doors open!!!!

Well that's good to know 👍

Tony6688

Based on my experience, PM 3G speed quality and coverage is better than LTE speed offered by FM.

I don't regret switching the carriers. 

Tony6688

Because of various promos offered by PM, I'm switching from FM all my 4 accounts.

So far, 2 accounts done, 2 more will be done in next couple weeks. 

Tony6688

I wish this promo is around next couple week and I will sign my son to this. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Unknown I understand the concern.  And that would be a tough call since that plan with FM is quite good as well.  Has FM been reliable for you?  Are you able to make and receive calls in the places you frequent, etc?  Do you routinely use all or nearly all of your 5GB of plan data?  If so, then probably makes sense to stay where you are, on that grandfathered plan.  If you usually have some data left over (at least 500MB typically--comparing 5GB FM to 4.5GB PM), don't mind slower data, and have had signal issues with FM, then you might want to consider this plan with PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Unknown

@srlawren wrote:

@Unknown bit of a long story but PM are now being VERY careful how they phrase answer to questions like this.  Let me see if I can condense:  for several years, PM had a strong history of NEVER raising prices on existing plan-holders (grandfathered plans no longer available), and the community would always respond that you'd keep your price and plan indefinitely, becuase this is what past experience up until then lead us all to believe.

All that said, no you don't lose the promo at the end of the 30 days, it's not intended to be temprorary.  You will get to keep it probably indefinitely, with the expectation that eventually the price may go up a little.  Of course, being contract-free means you can easily move on if that is unacceptable at the time.  I think the risk is minimal if the promo plan meets your needs well today.

Thanks for the reply.  It just sounded to me from their FB post that once the promo is over, my plan would no longer be available to me.  I think the regular $40 plan was for 2GB or 2.5GB and this promo gave an extra 2-2.5GB??  I'm just afraid that if/when this promo is over, my plan will revert back to the regular one.

It's something I have to consider, moving over here from Freedom, where I still have a plan that they no longer offer ($39 unlimited data---5GB full speed).  Have a week to decide before my next billing cycle.

srlawren

@Unknown bit of a long story but PM are now being VERY careful how they phrase answer to questions like this.  Let me see if I can condense:  for several years, PM had a strong history of NEVER raising prices on existing plan-holders (grandfathered plans no longer available), and the community would always respond that you'd keep your price and plan indefinitely, becuase this is what past experience up until then lead us all to believe.

Then sometime last year I believe it was, PM started raising prices on some of their "legacy" plans.  To be fair, these were very inexpensive plans that were from back in 2015 or older.  These plans also had access to phone-based support (a call centre) that PM claimed was expensive to run and they used that to justify the price increases.  None of the newer plans (basically late 2015 and newer) have access to this call centre in comparison.  This didn't go over well, but it happened.

Then, PM announced they would raise the price on what was calls the 2016 Fall Promo Plan.  This was offered for about a month or two in late 2016 and was an amazing value and very popular.  The community exploded with outrage, and something like 1,600 (I believe) CCTS complaints were logged, and PM eventually backed down and cancelled the increase "for now", noting that "all good things do come to an end".  

Okay sorry this is still a long reply.  The bottom line is, it's in the terms & conditions that PM can, at any time, with 30 days notice, increase the prices on their rate plans.  To date, this has been quite rare, and I think they are pretty gun-shy about that now, but nobody can say this won't ever happen again.  In fact, I'd say it's inevitable that plan prices will go up at some point, even for grandfathered plan holders.  

This is why PM are now very careful to NOT give the impression or statement that you can keep the same plan at the same price forever (which some staff had basically stated in the past).  

All that said, no you don't lose the promo at the end of the 30 days, it's not intended to be temprorary.  You will get to keep it probably indefinitely, with the expectation that eventually the price may go up a little.  Of course, being contract-free means you can easily move on if that is unacceptable at the time.  I think the risk is minimal if the promo plan meets your needs well today.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

matbasm

Even if a plan is no longer offered, you can still renew it.  If at some time PM wants to change the price or actually drop that plan, they would notify you and give you options.  I have not seen any recent plan be 'dropped' completely.  I really wouldn't worry about it.

Unknown

@matbasm wrote:

@Unknown, welcome to Public Mobile.  Your plan will not change/revert at the end of the current 30 day period.  You can keep using this plan until you change it.  There is always the possibility that Public Mobile raises the price on the plan (as it is within their right to do so as per the terms and conditions).  However, it is not something you need to be worried about in the short term.

The reason I brought this up is because this question was asked on Facebook a few times regarding this promo and the response from PM was this:

Q1:  so what happens after 30 days if you get this plan? does it reload with the same plan? or do you have to get another plan?
Public Mobile
Public Mobile 
Thank you reaching out to us. How do you do? 
After 30 days, your plan will renew again the same. It will remain the same as long as it's available however, we may not guarantee that it will always be the offered as is but for now, it will renew after the initial 30 days. 
Hopefully this answers your question and helps!

Q2:  What happens after 30 days Public Mobile?
Public Mobile
Public Mobile Hi there! 
Thank you for your interest. Hope you`re doing fine.
After the initial 30 days, if the plan is still available, it will renew again. However, we may not guarantee for how long the plan will be available. For now until further notice, after the first 30 days, the plan will renew again as is. 
Hopefully this answers your question and everything is clear enough for you. 
Thank you!

matbasm

@Unknown, welcome to Public Mobile.  Your plan will not change/revert at the end of the current 30 day period.  You can keep using this plan until you change it.  There is always the possibility that Public Mobile raises the price on the plan (as it is within their right to do so as per the terms and conditions).  However, it is not something you need to be worried about in the short term.

Unknown

Hi peeps...just got onboard with this plan over the weekend but as a new PM customer, I'm confused with how the PM plans work.  If you sign up for a promo plan (like this one is currently), once the promo is over, will I lose it and need to choose a new plan? Is there a permanent $40 plan that I will end up having once this promo is over?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@fo1964, this is a public forum, please do not post your personal information here. I just sent you a private message and will be waiting for your reply with the required information.

Thank you! 

Aïssata

cappaj

@fo1964 wrote:

Hi sorry to put this in here I need to get a password  reset for XXX XXX XXXX so we can renew the plan t

Send a private message to Moderator_Team for the fastest resolution (but note that they've been extra busy lately and may take a day or two to respond). Include your phone number, name, PIN, account number, and anything else you can to help them help you faster. (Also, I wouldn't post your phone number here on the forum, this is a public place and anyone can see it.)

fo1964

Hi sorry to put this in here I need to get a password  reset for xxx xxx xxxx so we can renew the plan t

cevagora

I did the switch today, couldn’t pass this up. Ported my number over from rogers and everything went smooooth. 

Phew lol

srlawren

@doe outdated content.  The cap is 3.0Mbps.  Originally it was 2.5Mbps when the "3G"-speed data plans were introduced last year, but was later raised to 3.0 to be more competitive.

doe
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mimmo wrote:

@crtowns wrote:

I just read this in the fine print on this deal:

"Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network."

Any comments on this?!? This is telling me with my iPhone 7 that I won't actually be limited to 3Mbps, I could get up to 12-200 Mbps on the 3G plan. This almost sounds to me like they are saying you still good be receiving LTE like speeds on this plan. 

Does anyone have an insight on this? 

On 3g plans yourmax speed is  3mbs

Fine print for this plan reads now in Self-serve account: "Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network.", though on https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans it still refers to 3 Mbps.

Are now all 3G plans throttled to 2.5 Mbps, or only this 4.5GB/$40 plan, or is there a mistake in Self-serve account?

Need Help? Let's chat.