cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: GPS Time Reset Issue Impacting Location Accuracy on Select Phones

@z10user4 wrote:

So my idea of seeing if the GPS in ones phone or other devices shows a wrong date is a valid way of testing? Assuming the program one uses that displays a date is actually getting it from the GPS.

Totally.  Many (older) devices went from Apr 6, 2019 23:59:59 GMT --> Aug 22, 1999 00:00:00 GMT, so it was a quick/easy way to check.  Many devices needed to be power-cycled for this effect to be observed, but that's definitely a valid way to check.  Many devices could use multiple sources for time (e.g. GPS, cell, or NTP servers), so it's important to be aware of which source is being used for tests.

@z10user4 wrote:

if one doesn't have their GPS on then will this emergency locating thing work at all anyway? I know some triangulation can be done using the cell towers but if the phone doesn't have the GPS radios on then how would it be found other than the general vicinity?

Yes, it should work, but I haven't been on top of E911 specs in the last 20 years (I worked at a company that did this stuff when E911 was in its infancy).  I don't think most truly use triangulation (a term over-used in dramatic TV series and movies), since determining angle of signal arriving at a cell tower with any degree of acuracy is extremely difficult if not near impossible.  Location based on signal latency is more likely achieved by trilateration, and more specifically hyperbolic trilateration through time-difference of arrival calculations.  I won't go through all the details (I'm sure Google has answers), but suffice it to say that trigonometry and quadratics from high school math class come heavily into play!

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So my Dad has an older LG-A341 and ever since the GPS reset he has had no service. Is it possible this was caused by the GPS reset? I have removed sim, powered off/on, reset the device but can't get anything. Any suggestions?

Mayor / Maire

@Inspired14u wrote:

So my Dad has an older LG-A341 and ever since the GPS reset he has had no service. Is it possible this was caused by the GPS reset? I have removed sim, powered off/on, reset the device but can't get anything. Any suggestions?

@Inspired14u  Did you try putting the sim in another phone to see if its a problem with the service or the phone?

Mayor / Maire

@Inspired14u wrote:

Does it say active on the account?

If limited minutes, are they all used?

Does the phone have GPS aka location services?

I would highly doubt improper functioning of GPS would affect all the other phone services.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Inspired14u wrote:

It's a coincidence.  You don't need GPS for phone calls, texts, or data.