cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLASH SALE! Get a SIM + your next 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Effective January 12, 2019 until January 13, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, we are offering a SIM card and your next 30 days for $0 when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers! This will be applied as an account credit and the offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• 30 Days for $0: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card in-store at a participating retailer on a 30-day plan from January 12 until January 13 2019, you will get your next 30 days of service for $0!
    • Participating retailers include:
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique
      • K-Mobile
      • Select Koodo Authorized Dealers
    • The credit value that you will receive will be equal to the price of the rate plan on which you activated your SIM card. This credit will cover the rate plan cost only. It will not cover additional costs such as Add-Ons.
    • Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 72 hours. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal.
    • For example, if you sign up on our current $35 for 1 GB at 3G speed, Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Unlimited International Text 30-day plan, your account will be credited $35 within 72 hours of activating.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message shortly after the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.
    • You will not need to top-up your account at your first renewal date, unless you purchase Add-Ons, change or future-date your plan to a more expensive plan during the first 30 days. Note that, if you have registered for AutoPay, you will continue to receive your $2 AutoPay reward every 30 days. All Reward rules, which can be found at publicmobile.ca/rewardrules, apply.  
  • $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate in-store only at participating retailers.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team  

40 REPLIES 40

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is a great deal with great cell phone plan. Just be aware that to get the "next 30 days free" (after 30 days), you must sign up for a 30 day plan. There is no "next 30 days free" deal for a 90 day plan. Public Mobile is owned by Telus so you get nationwide coverage wherever you would get Telus - Telus is one of the big three so coverage is not an issue (Stay away from Freedom Mobile). I get $1 off per month if you use my number as a referrer. Send me a private message if you need a referer number and you get a $10 credit to your account. 

I recommend going to London Drugs if you live in Western Canada. The one at Robson and Bute in Vancouver is the one I used and recommend - 1187 Robson street, Vancouver.
I signed up two months ago for the same deal.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SERVICE WITH YOUR CURRENT PROVIDER - you will lose your number if you do that - Public Mobile will take car of that for you. Once you are sure you are getting service from Public Mobile, it is OK to check with your OLD provider.

There are a few drawbacks that you should be aware of

1) It is 30 days NOT a full month.

2) It is a pre-pay service so you have to pay ahead and ensure there is enough in your account at renewal date or set up autopay via a credit card - you can and should do that - you'll save $2 a month if you do that. Setting up auto-pay is a little finicky accepting your credit card address - have your name and address on your Credit Card EXACTLY the same as your Public Mobile name and address and don't use a space between the third and fourth character in your postal code.

3) There is no live support - all questions are handled online ONLY.

4) Lots of data available in the 3G Data plans. 3G is still plenty fast - you can watch 1080p video with 3G. If you really need LTE, you can select that option, but it will cost more - absolutely unnecessary for me. Because Public Mobile has ONLY LTE and not VoLTE, your phone has to switch to 3G to make or receive a call - this switching can fail 1-2% of the time resulting in a missed call so I highly recommend turning off LTE and using 3G all the time, eliminating the need for your phone to switch to 3G on incoming calls.

5) The ONLY potential problem, as far as I can see, is when you change your service initially to Public Mobile when you go in the store, e.g. London Drugs. You have to be on the ball for this. Although not required, I recommend printing your bill from your current provider with your account number and address on it and bringing it with you to the store. They are going to give you a new SIM card and port your old number to that SIM card so you can keep the same number. Your time in the store is about 15 minutes - sign some stuff and set up payment etc. but it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to "port" your number to Public Mobile and to your new SIM card (you don't have to wait around for this at the store). That process should go smooth but if it doesn't, go back to the store. Don't deal with it online. At London Drugs, they have a direct line to Telus (Public Mobile) to fix porting issues and activation issues. I call it the "bat phone", but it's ONLY for porting and activation issues. Ask them at the store if they have a "bat phone". If they don't have a "bat phone" go to another store that does.

born
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When we sign up in stores, can we provide a friend's number as our referral?

Carld123

@c4po wrote:

hi,

i became a member on jan 11, 19.  i didn't know about the sale.  can i still qualify somehow?

thx

@c4po

Sorry...the sale is offered only on the dates shown..not before or after..

c4po
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi,

i became a member on jan 11, 19.  i didn't know about the sale.  can i still qualify somehow?

thx

born
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Same. Just got one two hours ago! Will save for next time and go in store this weekend.

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

wish i knew that before i got my sim card yesterday. Could of waited 2 more days.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Carld123 wrote:

Anyone activating on the 13th..something to remember..System maintenance is happening until 10am est..so no really early morning activations.

This is not online offer.  System maintenance is scheduled to be completed by 10am just in time for most stores 10am opening on Sunday except Walmart.

Carld123

Anyone activating on the 13th..something to remember..System maintenance is happening until 10am est..so no really early morning activations.

@RobertQc wrote:

@Alan_KNice. Keep the promotions coming. Maybe something in the 90 day variety soon? 😉

They have been getting away from the 90 plans for a while now as it seemed it was confusing to many customers.  I am with you though @RobertQc, I love the 90 day cycle especially with the community rewards, loyalty rewards, autopay what I pay for 90 days have people thinking it is impossible but with PM it is all possible

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Alan_KNice. Keep the promotions coming. Maybe something in the 90 day variety soon? 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.