cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLASH SALE! From November 23 to 25 - Get a SIM + your next 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Effective November 23, 2018 until November 25, 2018 at 11:59PM ET, we are offering a SIM card and your next 30 days for $0 when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers! This will be applied as an account credit and the offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• 30 Days for $0: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card in-store at a participating retailer on a 30-day plan from November 23 to November 25, 2018, you will get your next 30 days of service for $0!
    • Participating retailers include:
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique
      • K-Mobile
      • Select Koodo Authorized Dealers
    • The credit value that you will receive will be equal to the price of the rate plan on which you activated your SIM card. This credit will cover the rate plan cost only. It will not cover additional costs such as Add-Ons.
    • Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 5 days. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal.
    • For example, if you sign up on our current $35 for 1 GB at 3G speed, Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Unlimited International Text 30-day plan, your account will be credited $35 within 5 days of activating.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message shortly after the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.
    • You will not need to top-up your account at your first renewal date, unless you purchase Add-Ons, change or future-date your plan to a more expensive plan during the first 30 days. Note that, if you have registered for AutoPay, you will continue to receive your $2 AutoPay reward every 30 days. All Reward rules, which can be found at publicmobile.ca/rewardrules, apply.  
  • $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate in-store only at participating retailers.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team  

98 REPLIES 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjat87, Getting the SIM for free does not make you ineligible for the $25 referral (or the ongoing $1 referral bonus for your friend).  The $1 referral will show up in your friend's self serve portal.  He should get a notification at some point.  Also, the $25 bonuses will take a few days to show up.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

it can take up to five days to see your $25 fee

mjat87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous So, I did enter a friend's number as referral when self-registering. I do not, however, see reference to that having happened in my bill / account summary. No $1 "refer a friend" reward, no $25 credit... Perhaps they will show up in time? 

And I did not pay for my SIM card. The WOW! employee just gave it to me for free. I hope you're not suggesting that I am not eligible for the $25 referral credit because I did not pay for the SIM....... 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjat87, Unfortunately, the rules for the second month free are that you need to activate in store.  However, all is not lost.  If you activate at home, and enter a referal (another PM customer's phone number), you and the referrer each get $25.  Depending on the plan you would be taking, it might be close to the second month free.  Unfortunately though, you had to pay for the SIM.

mjat87

Just got back from the 1.5 hour drive to the nearest Public Mobile retailer... A "Wow! Mobile Boutique" kiosk in Kingston.

I mentioned the flash sale to the employee, who didn't seem aware of its existence. Then he tried to access the site, but was unable to do so on his computer. Seemed to be offline. 

So he just gave me the SIM card and assured me that I would have the first month free credit by registering myself at home. As I'm reading now, though, it seems I may have gotten screwed...

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Awesome BF deals

TK123

This is a great deal - keep in mind there are two promos going on right now for Public Mobile - one is "online" and one is "in-store" - different benefits with each option.  The best one for new users is the "in-store" option.

Great cell phone plans - lots of them - one is $40 unlimited Canada wide calling and 5GB of 3G data, no set up fees and free SIM card available TODAYand SUNDAY only. Just be aware that to get the "next 30 days free" (after 30 days), you MUST sign up for a 30 day plan and you MUST do it "in store". There is no "next 30 days free" deal for a 90 day plan. Public Mobile is owned by Telus so you get nationwide coverage wherever you would get Telus - Telus is one of the big three so coverage is not an issue (Stay away from Freedom Mobile). Message me if you need a referral.

I recommend going to London Drugs if you live in Western Canada. The one at Robson and Bute is the one I used and recommend - 1187 Robson street, Vancouver.
I signed up five weeks ago for the same deal.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SERVICE WITH YOUR CURRENT PROVIDER - you will lose your number if you do that - Public Mobile will take car of that for you. Once you are sure you are getting service from Public Mobile, it is OK to check with your OLD provider.

There are a few drawbacks that you should be aware of
1) It is 30 days NOT a month
2) It is a pre-pay service so you have to pay ahead and ensure there is enough in your account at renewal date or set up autopay via a credit card - you can and should do that - you'll save $2 a month if you do that. Setting up auto-pay is a little finicky accepting your credit card address - have your name and address on your Credit Card EXACTLY the same as your Public Mobile name and address.
3) There is no live support - all questions are handled online ONLY.
4) To get all that data, you get only 3G speeds. 3G is still plenty fast - you can watch 1080p video with 3G. If you really need LTE, you can select that option, but it will cost more - absolutely unnecessary for me. And, turn OFF LTE too is my recommendation.  3G is slightly faster than "throttled LTE" and I have encountered "missed calls" with LTE on.
5) The ONLY potential problem, as far as I can see, is when you change your service initially to Public Mobile when you go in the store, e.g. London Drugs. You have to be on the ball for this. Although not required, I recommend printing your bill from your current provider with your account number and address on it and bringing it with you to the store. They are going to give you a new SIM card and port your old number to that SIM card so you can keep the same number. Your time in the store is about 15 minutes - sign some stuff and set up payment etc. but it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to "port" your number to Public Mobile and to your new SIM card (you don't have to wait around for this at the store). That process should go smooth but if it doesn't, go back to the store. Don't deal with it online. At London Drugs, they have a direct line to Telus (Public Mobile) to fix porting issues and activation issues. I call it the "bat phone", but it's ONLY for porting and activation issues. Ask them at the store if they have a "bat phone". If they don't have a "bat phone" go to another store that does.

bigmouth2015

Some retail reps are incompetent and work only to get paid and not genuinely helping. Post online here or go to another retail outlet to verify if doubtful at anytime 

bushman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I agree. I would’ve definitely went for other stores if only there was one haha. Only Walmart exist closer from where I live.

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I just bought a SIM card at a Wow kiosk.  No questions asked, no attempt to activate, no mention of this new promo....interesting.  I guess it will be the $25 refer a friend deal.  Net value is about the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@helen_llw33 wrote:

I just went Walmart and got a new SIM for a new account. The sales didn't tell me this promotion. She also charged me $10 for SIM card. I've activited the SIM already. Could I still get the credit for first month?

Somebody else has reported success asking. If you can prove it with all your receipts then maybe they'll give you a break.

If you went in knowing the promo then don't expect them to tell you about it. Tell them about it and ask them to hook you up.

It's also not "first month". You pay for the first month and you get credited the amount of your plan choice into your account that can be used for the following month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bushman wrote:

Hi,

So, I drove all the way to Walmart (I live in the country) just to get this deal, and the representative simply said: "Sorry, I can't do it since the system has no option for it and she hasn't heard anything from her head office." Got home disappointed. 

Dear Public mobile, 

Please make sure the offer is in effect and its communicated to all the providers. Thanks.

There are several other stores that could have activated for you. London Drugs, K Mobile, Wow Mobile, The Mobile Shop (Superstore/Loblaws related).

The catch word is of course "participating". Sucks.

helen_llw33

I just went Walmart and got a new SIM for a new account. The sales didn't tell me this promotion. She also charged me $10 for SIM card. I've activited the SIM already. Could I still get the credit for first month?

bushman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

So, I drove all the way to Walmart (I live in the country) just to get this deal, and the representative simply said: "Sorry, I can't do it since the system has no option for it and she hasn't heard anything from her head office." Got home disappointed. 

Dear Public mobile, 

Please make sure the offer is in effect and its communicated to all the providers. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tomessafi wrote:

Kudos to PM Moderators. They credited my account for the job the Walmart SP didn't do.

Wow. Again with the fast turn around. Nice pattern emerging. Glad you got it sorted.

tomessafi

Kudos to PM Moderators. They credited my account for the job the Walmart SP didn't do.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, yes, if someone doesn't have a friend referral, this is great.  But those who are trying to get friends referred, are getting screwed.

Walmart is the worst of these retailers by far, demanding that activations occur in-store.

Why do you continue to argue with me?

Really if you are feeling screwed then you aren't looking out for the best options to bring people over.   You will still get the $1 a month and this Flash sale is the best deal for your friends.  

I have to agree with this. I would rather try to give friends the best possible deal.  So if it is for them to get a free month then so be it. 

I also disagree with the concept "new 25+25 promo time to start refering friends again".  If pm is a better deal and saves people money then we should be refering whenever and not waiting to refer when it benefits us more.

popping

@stonechucker wrote:

Once again, an in-store activation deal that screws over the awesome friend referral deal.

To all current subscribers, make sure you go with your friend when they go to "buy" their sim.  Make sure they buy it, and activate at home.

This may the reason why PM extended the $25 referral credit to Dec 16 - extra 10 days.

I will give my referral a SIM card and do the activation together online at home - nobody is going any where..  At least my promo is matching PM free SIM.  It is a better deal with me if my friend is planning to get $10 50/50 plan.

@tomessafi wrote:

Thanks @stonechucker I have had a referral but still that doesn't make it right. The walmart salesperson didn't want to other not couldn't. He barely answered to my question and just wnated to get rid of the customers in line. In any case I don't see why I shouldn't have the promo applied to me because that man didn't want to do his job...

I guess in this situation, It's up to publi Mobile to right the wrong.

Cheers

Tom

It they didn't want to why did you agree to the sim purchase and leave?  I would have stayed and got what I was looking for.  I am sure the rep acted this way is that black Friday a lot of promos from all providers and the other providers give a better commission so the rep didn't want to spend time with the PM customer when they could activate X customer and make more money

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

tomessafi

yep @srlawren it's ironic Smiley Happy

I have sent a private message to the moderators with my purchasing ticket... we'll see what happens

srlawren

@tomessafi not to make light of your situation, but your story is actually kind of ironic.  I say this because there have been plenty of people that went into a Walmart locatiion to only purchase a SIM card, which they would activate online later themselves, only to have the Walmart employee refuse to sell them the card without activation and said they were not allowed.  So ironically you were only able to do what many others wanted to do.  Ideally, every Walmart location that carries the SIM cards would do either, depending on customer's wishes--I believe this is what PM intended for the partnership, but some locations/employees seem to think otherwise.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tomessafi

Thanks @stonechucker I have had a referral but still that doesn't make it right. The walmart salesperson didn't want to other not couldn't. He barely answered to my question and just wnated to get rid of the customers in line. In any case I don't see why I shouldn't have the promo applied to me because that man didn't want to do his job...

I guess in this situation, It's up to publi Mobile to right the wrong.

Cheers

Tom

@tomessafi on an online activation, there normally is not a free SIM card.  The Walmart employee did the best they could do for you, as you say they 'couldn't activate' in store for you.

Hopefully you have/had a friend who referred you for the $25/$25 deal.

tomessafi

I've got a sim card today from a walmart and I activated a 30 days plan online because the Walmart salesperson didn't give me this information even though I asked if I could activate it in-store. He repllied that I had to go online because he couldn't do it.

How come he didn't activated my plan and I had to pay $10+tx while I should have had the Sim card for free?

Thank you for your help.

Tom

@stonechucker wrote:

@ShawnC13, I firmly believe in handshake deals as being binding.  When a friend agrees to activate so we can both receive the $25 bonus, I have every right to expect the bonus.  If someone had offered this suggestion to me when I was signing up, I absolutely would have done the online activation.

Yes, I know, it was only online activations when I signed up.  I'm just old-fashioned.

@stonechucker, totally agree with you if your referral has agreed to the $25 for both parties.  I see the Retail promo as a way to offer a sweeter deal to those who maybe on fence.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13, I firmly believe in handshake deals as being binding.  When a friend agrees to activate so we can both receive the $25 bonus, I have every right to expect the bonus.  If someone had offered this suggestion to me when I was signing up, I absolutely would have done the online activation.

Yes, I know, it was only online activations when I signed up.  I'm just old-fashioned.

@Haiggy, yes, @Anonymous is right.

The $25/$25 offer requires online activation, rather than in-store activation.  To be honest, I don't know how Public Mobile knows the difference if it's the same form.

There has to be something from these stores that identify an in-store activation.  It's completely possible to track it via IP Address submitting the transaction if someone has set this up for the retail locations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Haiggy wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, yes, if someone doesn't have a friend referral, this is great.  But those who are trying to get friends referred, are getting screwed.

How so? You still have the opportunity to put in your friend's phone number upon activation in-store. It's literally the same form.

Yes but I think his point is that that's only worth $10 to the new customer and just the repeating $1 reward to the referer as opposed to $25 for both.

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

How so? You still have the opportunity to put in your friend's phone number upon activation in-store. It's literally the same form.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice, let the Black Friday promos begin Smiley LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.