cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended to Oct 6 - Get an extra $10 Credit for You & a Friend by Referring them to Public Mobile

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The Refer-a-friend promotion has been extended to October 6, 2019 11:59 PM ET.

*This offer is online-only.

Hey Community,

From September 23th until September 30th, 2019, you and your friend can each get an extra $10 credit (on top of the regular Referral perks) when you refer them to Public Mobile and they activate online. Plus, for each referral, you will receive an entry into a lucky draw for a chance to win 1 of 3 pairs of Cineplex General Admission Tickets, so we can take you and a friend to catch a flick that you love.

You

Your friend

• $1 off your payment every 30 days for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile  
  • *New* Extra $10 one-time credit
  • $10 one-time credit
  • *New* Extra $10 one-time credit

Get the full scoop below.

Taking advantage of this promo is easy. Just follow these steps:

As a Public Mobile customer you need to:

1. Be a good pal and refer a friend to Public Mobile.
  2. Tell your friend that they need to successfully activate online on a $25/mo plan or higher during the promotional period and include you as their referrer in order to be eligible for the promotion. Learn more about Referral Codes HERE
  3. The extra one-time $10 credit will be applied to your Self-Serve account within 72 hours of your friend’s online activation. In addition, you will continue to be eligible for the $1 referral credit off your monthly bill for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile.

Your friend will need to:

1. Purchase a Public Mobile SIM card. (Find a store)
  2. Activate a Public Mobile SIM card online on a $25/mo plan or higher at activate.publicmobile.ca.
  3. Enter your active Public Mobile referral code on the referral page during the activation process. The one-time $10 credit will be applied to their Self-Serve account within 72 hours of activation.

FAQs and terms and conditions are below. Happy referring!

-Public Mobile Community team

FAQ

Spoiler

• Where do I find my referral code?

Visit this link to learn more about referral codes.

• If I am referred and then I refer a friend or family member am I eligible for both sender and receiver rewards? 

Yes, you are. This means that you would receive one $10 credit for being referred. Then, after activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender and earn $10 Refer-a-Friend credits during the promotional period. Learn more here

• As the referral receiver, am I eligible for the ongoing $10 Refer a Friend Reward credit, as well as this $10 Refer a Friend credit? 

Yes, these credits are stackable. You will receive a total of $20 via two $10 account credits.

• When does this promotion end? 

This promotion will end September 30, 2019 11:59PM EST. Activations after this point will not be considered for the promotion.

Terms and Conditions

Referral sender (current Public Mobile customer)

• All existing Refer a Friend eligibility requirements and rules apply. To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules.  
  • You and your referee have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation.  
  • You can’t refer yourself or an existing Public Mobile customer.
  • TELUS team members, contractors, sales representatives acting on TELUS's behalf and associates at retail locations who receive special pricing are excluded from this promotion.

Referral receiver (your friend)

• Must activate on a $25/mo plan or higher with Public Mobile.
  • You must input the referral information (referrer’s Public Mobile referral code) during your activation.
  • You and your referrer have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • After activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender.

OTHER

TELUS assumes no responsibility for lost, delayed, damaged or misdirected referrals or communications or for any failure of the website, for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or referral to be received by TELUS on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to your (or any other person's) computer related to or resulting from this program. TELUS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this program should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of TELUS, corrupt the security or proper administration of the program or for any other reason. Referrals are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, unintelligible, falsified, altered or tampered with or unlawful in any way. Referrals submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that a referral has been made in a manner not sanctioned by these terms, you and all of you referrals will be disqualified from this program and any referral credits that have been awarded will be deducted. You agree to abide by the terms of this program and the decisions of the TELUS team, which are final. This program is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

TELUS may end the promotion or change any of the terms at any time, without notice and without obligation to award any promotion.

PRIVACY

Your privacy is important to TELUS. We have a long-standing policy of protecting the privacy of our customers in all of our business operations. Please visit telus.com/privacy for more information on the principles that govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. These principles reflect our continuing commitment to protecting our customers' privacy.

Contest Rules

Spoiler

Public Mobile Refer-a-Friend Promotion Contest

CONTEST RULES

1.       HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY 

No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must refer a friend onto the Public Mobile network during the promotion period of September 23 to September 30, 2019 at 11:59 pm ET. One entry per referral. An entry is defined as the successful activation of a newly referred customer. No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

Contest runs September 23 to September 30, 2019 at 11:59pm ET.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1.     THE PRIZE

There will be three (3) prizes awarded.  Each winner will receive the following prize:

Two (2) Cineplex General Admission Tickets (Retail Value $8.75)

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile or cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1.     THE DRAW

A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about October 1 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.

In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form.  If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

1.     PRIVACY

By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation.  Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1.     QUEBEC RESIDENTS

Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.

1.     OTHER

All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified.  Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

139 REPLIES 139

@Sarahwhite  usually just a few hours for cell. A few days for landlines and up to 7 days for VoIP  You should get a text from public mobile saying it's complete. Try restarting your phone now and then till its done 

Sarahwhite
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks!!

Any chance you would know how long number porting takes? I can call people, but they can’t call me.

@Sarahwhite they say that for both but usually the first one appears the morning after activation , the 2nd one takes a bit more time 

Sarahwhite

@GR wrote:

@Sarahwhite  it can take up to 72 hours 

For both credits? Or just the second $10?

@Sarahwhite  it can take up to 72 hours 

Sarahwhite

Is there a delay for the &10+$10 credit for joining with a referral code? I just activated and it’s not showing up anywhere?

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@JustM  Hey you are very welcome. Pm is pretty good about crediting or applying promos in a timely manner. Sometimes the odd person gets missed. You may or may not get a text telling you as such. So you do have to self regulate your account and ask for remediation when necessary. I have yet to hear from someone that once they have contacted a moderator that a retroactive credit, reward or promo has not been applied. People may complain of lack of direct customer service (phone number/agent) but once waiting for a day or two for a response the moderators are generous in the awarding of credits and retroactive promos.

Well, I can tell you from direct experience managing well over a dozen accounts over the last 1 1/2 years and having literally hundreds of interactions that the Mods do NOT always award the credits and sometimes you have to ask multiple times before they do, even for straightforward, obvious situations. Some mods will even argue with you when they are completely wrong, even for as little as $2 (what a waste of time and energy; makes one second guess if the effort is worth it), because many do not know their stuff. Sorry to dispel the myths...

@pm-smayer97  Thank you for posting your experience dealing with the moderators. I can only comment from my own experience and what I have read from posts on the site. Your post is the first I have read of these kind of interactions where the interaction and the result is not positive and as it seems quite negative ones (not on your part) as far as the moderators response to your requests (on behalf of others and yourself). More over the denial of a request for credit that you feel is deserving is all the more frustrating when it is due to lack of knowledge, customer service skill, poor training or simple attitude on behalf of the employee. I have certainly read  comment/posts on the site from moderators that is obviously wrong or contrary to standard terms or policy of public mobile. While disappointed that public mobiles employee customer service is not as rosy as I had perceived it to be it's good to have an all around perspective of what to expect when making requests.

@darlicious wrote:

@JustM  Hey you are very welcome. Pm is pretty good about crediting or applying promos in a timely manner. Sometimes the odd person gets missed. You may or may not get a text telling you as such. So you do have to self regulate your account and ask for remediation when necessary. I have yet to hear from someone that once they have contacted a moderator that a retroactive credit, reward or promo has not been applied. People may complain of lack of direct customer service (phone number/agent) but once waiting for a day or two for a response the moderators are generous in the awarding of credits and retroactive promos.

Well, I can tell you from direct experience managing well over a dozen accounts over the last 1 1/2 years and having literally hundreds of interactions that the Mods do NOT always award the credits and sometimes you have to ask multiple times before they do, even for straightforward, obvious situations. Some mods will even argue with you when they are completely wrong, even for as little as $2 (what a waste of time and energy; makes one second guess if the effort is worth it), because many do not know their stuff. Sorry to dispel the myths...

JustM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

yup from browsing here before I signed up I think you summarized the gist of PM pretty well. For the few days I've had service it has worked well and I did get 2 SMS alerts from PM about credit so that was great. Thanks again 🙂

JustM

@darlicious Thank you, that's good to know.

@computergeek541 Thanks. I've already received my $20 credit.

Hi @jni 

Did you signup online with the 25+ plan?

If yes, I think you should contact moderators about it

Have the person's referral code handy

jni

Hi, I have signed up during this time and both the person who referred me and myself have not recieved the $10 yet in our account. 

@JustM I also believe that it says that any time that you change your plan. You won't lose your $20 credit by performing a scheduled plan change, but I suggest waiting until you have the $20 credit in your balance before making the request.

@JustM  That is an excellent question. Generally i think thats a standard message to make sure you review your choice if you are on a promo. Although the refer a friend is a "promo" you recieve a one time credit that appears in your transaction history rather than the promotions box.  A credit and a promo are applied differently. I think your safe in this case.

JustM

Hello! I signed up to PM on the current $25 promo and I've received the credit 🙂 I tried to switch to the $15 plan for next month, selecting renew on next payment date, but I got the message below.

"Your new plan will take effect on your next renewal date and you won't be charged until then. This changes replaces any other future-dated plan changes. After changing your plan, you will lose your current promotion." Screenshot here.PM plan 15CAD.png

I'm a bit confused. Does that mean I lose the $20 promo credit? Should I use up the credit on the $25 plan first then switch? I didn't find anything in the promo rules that states this.

@shawnih wrote:

I didn’t get my bonus and messaged a mod and was told the promo expired sep 30 so I wouldn’t get it. Wasn’t it extended?

Yes extended to October 6. It's in the thread title and first message. Talk to the moderators again.

shawnih

I didn’t get my bonus and messaged a mod and was told the promo expired sep 30 so I wouldn’t get it. Wasn’t it extended?

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

This promo is good to help us get referrals. People need extra incentive to convince them and $10 more might get someone on the fence to activate.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Though they get everything done for them rather than having to do it themselves. 

That said, I have seen constant confusion during my 1 year around here with promos for in store only or DIY only. So yes, in many ways they should simplify allowing all promos to be done either way.

Terry

@AE_Collector  Yes I agree. Activating online can be fraught with errors. Even now knowing the tricks of the trade in can be an exercise in frustration. I helped with 2 activations on Monday. The first went smoothly until payment when it would not accept visa/debit. I used my credit card to get it to accept payment and changed the payee information the following day. The second activation  was similar but instead of allowing us to try a different card it just gave us a generic error msg. With the lock out of session we missed the deadline for the promotions. Luckily the refer a friend bonus was extended but the rbc promo was not. We will have to ask the moderators if they will apply it retroactively. But then took 4 more tries and lockout sessions to finally activate the account. It didn't end up getting activated til 24 hours after we had started. Extending promos for in store activations  would ease pressure on the site and help eliminate many failed attempts for less computer savvy users not to say these issues don't happen in store as well. I've had the computers freeze at London drugs mid activation and had to do it at home online instead. It is unfair on new customers to lose out on a promotion because the pm activation site can't handle or has technical issues that require multiple attempts at activating.

Though they get everything done for them rather than having to do it themselves. 

That said, I have seen constant confusion during my 1 year around here with promos for in store only or DIY only. So yes, in many ways they should simplify things a bit and allow all promos to be done either way.

Terry

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is a great idea but should also be for instore too. We have a ton of people that come in with referals, this isn't fair to them. JMO

Alan_K

Lucky draw winners have been contacted! Stay tuned for the announcement of the winners. 🙂

smp99

@Tony12 wrote:

I just got 10 dollar credit not an extra ten dollar credit! When will that extra 10 dollar credit be applied which has been said is one time if you transfer to public mobile before September 30?

Hi @Tony12 

We are going to need more info. 

What plan did you sign up for? What store did you use to create your account or did you do this at home?

@Tony12 wrote:

I just got 10 dollar credit not an extra ten dollar credit! When will that extra 10 dollar credit be applied which has been said is one time if you transfer to public mobile before September 30?

@Tony12   Are you the referrer or the new customer? The friend who supplies the referral code gets $10. The referred customer gets $20 but only if you activate a $25+ plan. Otherwise you just get the regular $10 credit. Credits are applied within 72 hrs. Most receive it by the next day. If you met the conditions of the promo and it does not appear in your account after 72 hrs message the moderators via simon (?) At the bottom right of page.

andie27

Awesome, I got my referral credit within a day of activation.  Going to bring in another friend now that it got extended.

Tony12

@techtoys wrote:

The $10 refereal fee will show up pretty quick for the one being referred but it usually takes up 72 hours for you to see $10 in your referral rewards because of waiting for  payment to fully go through on the one being referred and connected to your account

Referrrals get connected to the referrer's account immediately. As for waiting for payment to go through, the new customer's service wouldn't be working if it hasn't already. This is surely an automated process, and while I don't know the details of the order that these credits are paid out, the reasons given earlier are not reasons for the referrer's credits taking longer.

techtoys

The $10 refereal fee will show up pretty quick for the one being referred but it usually takes up 72 hours for you to see $10 in your referral rewards because of waiting for  payment to fully go through on the one being referred and connected to your account

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Did this just happen? 

I first noticed the update on Monday afternoon.

@computergeek541  I only just noticed it after the original deadline passed as I was busy helping a couple of friends sign up. I've posted but no answers on "generic error" have you seen this before when submitting payment with a card. Had a second credit card handy but didn't give option to retry. Earlier my other friends card wasn't accepted but we were able to retry so used my cc so he wouldn't miss deadline because of lock out.

Need Help? Let's chat.