cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended to Oct 6 - Get an extra $10 Credit for You & a Friend by Referring them to Public Mobile

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The Refer-a-friend promotion has been extended to October 6, 2019 11:59 PM ET.

*This offer is online-only.

Hey Community,

From September 23th until September 30th, 2019, you and your friend can each get an extra $10 credit (on top of the regular Referral perks) when you refer them to Public Mobile and they activate online. Plus, for each referral, you will receive an entry into a lucky draw for a chance to win 1 of 3 pairs of Cineplex General Admission Tickets, so we can take you and a friend to catch a flick that you love.

You

Your friend

• $1 off your payment every 30 days for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile  
  • *New* Extra $10 one-time credit
  • $10 one-time credit
  • *New* Extra $10 one-time credit

Get the full scoop below.

Taking advantage of this promo is easy. Just follow these steps:

As a Public Mobile customer you need to:

1. Be a good pal and refer a friend to Public Mobile.
  2. Tell your friend that they need to successfully activate online on a $25/mo plan or higher during the promotional period and include you as their referrer in order to be eligible for the promotion. Learn more about Referral Codes HERE
  3. The extra one-time $10 credit will be applied to your Self-Serve account within 72 hours of your friend’s online activation. In addition, you will continue to be eligible for the $1 referral credit off your monthly bill for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile.

Your friend will need to:

1. Purchase a Public Mobile SIM card. (Find a store)
  2. Activate a Public Mobile SIM card online on a $25/mo plan or higher at activate.publicmobile.ca.
  3. Enter your active Public Mobile referral code on the referral page during the activation process. The one-time $10 credit will be applied to their Self-Serve account within 72 hours of activation.

FAQs and terms and conditions are below. Happy referring!

-Public Mobile Community team

FAQ

Spoiler

• Where do I find my referral code?

Visit this link to learn more about referral codes.

• If I am referred and then I refer a friend or family member am I eligible for both sender and receiver rewards? 

Yes, you are. This means that you would receive one $10 credit for being referred. Then, after activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender and earn $10 Refer-a-Friend credits during the promotional period. Learn more here

• As the referral receiver, am I eligible for the ongoing $10 Refer a Friend Reward credit, as well as this $10 Refer a Friend credit? 

Yes, these credits are stackable. You will receive a total of $20 via two $10 account credits.

• When does this promotion end? 

This promotion will end September 30, 2019 11:59PM EST. Activations after this point will not be considered for the promotion.

Terms and Conditions

Referral sender (current Public Mobile customer)

• All existing Refer a Friend eligibility requirements and rules apply. To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules.  
  • You and your referee have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation.  
  • You can’t refer yourself or an existing Public Mobile customer.
  • TELUS team members, contractors, sales representatives acting on TELUS's behalf and associates at retail locations who receive special pricing are excluded from this promotion.

Referral receiver (your friend)

• Must activate on a $25/mo plan or higher with Public Mobile.
  • You must input the referral information (referrer’s Public Mobile referral code) during your activation.
  • You and your referrer have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • After activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender.

OTHER

TELUS assumes no responsibility for lost, delayed, damaged or misdirected referrals or communications or for any failure of the website, for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or referral to be received by TELUS on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to your (or any other person's) computer related to or resulting from this program. TELUS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this program should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of TELUS, corrupt the security or proper administration of the program or for any other reason. Referrals are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, unintelligible, falsified, altered or tampered with or unlawful in any way. Referrals submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that a referral has been made in a manner not sanctioned by these terms, you and all of you referrals will be disqualified from this program and any referral credits that have been awarded will be deducted. You agree to abide by the terms of this program and the decisions of the TELUS team, which are final. This program is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

TELUS may end the promotion or change any of the terms at any time, without notice and without obligation to award any promotion.

PRIVACY

Your privacy is important to TELUS. We have a long-standing policy of protecting the privacy of our customers in all of our business operations. Please visit telus.com/privacy for more information on the principles that govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. These principles reflect our continuing commitment to protecting our customers' privacy.

Contest Rules

Spoiler

Public Mobile Refer-a-Friend Promotion Contest

CONTEST RULES

1.       HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY 

No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must refer a friend onto the Public Mobile network during the promotion period of September 23 to September 30, 2019 at 11:59 pm ET. One entry per referral. An entry is defined as the successful activation of a newly referred customer. No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

Contest runs September 23 to September 30, 2019 at 11:59pm ET.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1.     THE PRIZE

There will be three (3) prizes awarded.  Each winner will receive the following prize:

Two (2) Cineplex General Admission Tickets (Retail Value $8.75)

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile or cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1.     THE DRAW

A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about October 1 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.

In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form.  If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

1.     PRIVACY

By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation.  Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1.     QUEBEC RESIDENTS

Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.

1.     OTHER

All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified.  Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

139 REPLIES 139

@darlicious wrote:

Did this just happen? 

I first noticed the update on Monday afternoon.

Did this just happen? Awesome because not only will it help a friend who just missed the deadline due to a "generic error" msg I have a few other friends who want to sign up. Thanks public mobile and thank you @Alan_K  you really are listening!

Shotgun0221
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes it's a new sign up and within the correct dates. Should be able to recieve it as i signed up that way also. My friend recieved her $10 but i havnt yet but still hasnt been 72hrs either. It Can take up to 72hrs to recieve it, it says.

magicmedia
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

great offer

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The 2 people I referred already received their $10+$10 discount, but nothing on my end yet.

kelvarnsen

Extending it is pretty cool. I was going to take advantage today but ran out of time.

@shellybartlett wrote:

I been waiting since thrusday to get my 10.00 credit for referring a friend. Does it have to be just business days

These credits get paid on weekends too.

For a referral that I got on early Friday afternoon, I ended up getting it early on Sunday morning. That's a day longer than I'm used but still within the 72 hour promise.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

As a referrer, you need to read the details and make sure your referee follow the details of the promo.  If not, both side will get lest in this case.  Since PM is a prepaid provider, there is no refund of unused days.  It is not a simple cancel and activate again for the postpaid service.

smp99

@sunrain wrote:

Hi there, my friend signed up for a $25 plan but we did the sign up at London Drugs in the store.  They use the computer there, so does that still qualify as an online sign up?  We used the referral code.  

Sorry, that counts as an in store activation. PM has a way of dectecting such activations.

sunrain

Hi there, my friend signed up for a $25 plan but we did the sign up at London Drugs in the store.  They use the computer there, so does that still qualify as an online sign up?  We used the referral code.  

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Received $10. Thanks PM. 

@shellybartlettNo but your friend's plan has to be at least $25.

shellybartlett

I been waiting since thrusday to get my 10.00 credit for referring a friend. Does it have to be just business days

smp99

I got the credit this morning for an activation done yesterday afternoon. That is typical. I have always seen these credits appear overnight.

@Shotgun0221  it may take up to 72 hours it says to get the 10$ credit on your account 

Shotgun0221

Love the idea as i just signed up recently and referred a friend who also signed up.. I hope to see i get the $10 reward soon as i did do it between sept.23 and 30th. Nothing yet but has only been 5hrs since they signed up so We'll see if it happens.

DL888

I did 2 referrals yesterday, nothing in my account yet but it is showing on the other 2.

@dnewf wrote:

Just set up my 3rd new referral  mintutes  ago and I dont see 10 bucks off for me but i do see another 1 dollar taken off. Whats up?  Repost sorry just read it can take up to 72 hrs!!!

You'll probably get it in time.  Keep track of your referrals and ask moderators to manually give you the credit if you don't.

dnewf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just set up my 3rd new referral  mintutes  ago and I dont see 10 bucks off for me but i do see another 1 dollar taken off. Whats up?  Repost sorry just read it can take up to 72 hrs!!!

@DL888 wrote:

Just ported 2 family members over tonight, waiting for the referral credit to show up.

Public Mobile says to allow them 72 hours to apply the credits, but if the credits for this promotion are anything like the norm, I think that you'll see them in the next 5 or so hours.

DL888

Just ported 2 family members over tonight, waiting for the referral credit to show up.

If you activated using your friends 6 digit referal code your friend would have almost instantly received a text telling him he had a new referal. You woukd normally have a $10 New Customer crefit showvup in your account likely within 24-72 hours.

If your activation was done yourself online, not at a dealer and on a $25 or higher plan and during this 1 week promotion period there will be a second $10 bonus credit show up in both your account and the account of the friend who referred you within something like a week after activation I believe.

I would first check with your friend to see if they received the new referal text.

Terry

8FA4855C-07F4-42A0-9AB1-49F50E7B5B16.jpeg

<Edit> Looks as though I type too slow! Yes, you should get the extra credits before too long.

Terry

@moosedrools  I would say wait another 48 hours and if you still don't see the other 10$ then message the moderators! It does say it can take up to 72 hours to be applied 

moosedrools

Yeap. Got the $40 plan and activated yesterday.. maybe i have to wait for this extra one? I do see only 10 bucks discount..

@moosedrools  did you activate online with a 25$ plan or higher?  When dud you activate? 

moosedrools

I didnt receive this promotion discount when i used my friends referral to activate within this time frame. Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks!

gelovet

New in Public Mobile with the referral. 

Nothing about the credit in my account, will let you know in 72h

@majabiera  welcome to public, hope you like it here. I

it gets bumpy this is the place to come to and ask for suggestions before having to contact Moderators. 

You may have to test your patience but it looks like it's not much worse than waiting in call. So far I can't see myself leaving. response times are not too short but at least (at this point) they don't take days as suggested in some previous posts. I had to contact moderators twice and the most delay was actually due to me as I wasn't checking back frequently enough.

majabiera

@ooakosiryan wrote:

@ooakosiryan wrote:

@Alan_K  For convenience, I want to tell the person I'm referring to just go to Walmart to and activate in-store. Walmart is offering free SIMs for people who activate in-store.

However, this won't work for the promo, right? Because it says to activate online, as opposed to in-store...?

Not sure how it makes sense to add a restriction like that. Isn't Public Mobile happy to have new customers regardless of where they activate? And when in-store is offering free SIMs, it gets rid of the incentive for someone to avail of the promo because they'll be saving $10 on the SIM anyways.

If the person signs up in-store at Walmart, then I (the referrer) will only get the usual reward of $1 off per month, while the person I'm referring will save the equivalent of $20 (from the free SIM in-store—so the bonus doesn't actually make them better off because they'd have to spend $10 on a SIM to activate online and get the $10 extra bonus).

Is that correct or am I missing something?

UPDATE:

Let me preface this by saying I love Public Mobile, and I've had no issues with my account! I say good things about PM, and so my coworker wanted to join.

I convinced her to just get a SIM card for $10 at the Mobile Shop, and I would activate it for her online today. She's a coworker and we're at work right now—I won't be seeing her again until Tuesday (when the promo is over).

So she gets a SIM card, and I enter all the info to activate it, pick a number for her, then get the 404 error. We try again and it says to wait 50 mins. We wait 50 mins. We try again, and this time it takes us one screen further: after picking a number, we pick the plan. We get the 404 error again. Can't try again for another 50 mins.

It's almost the end of the day, and I won't see her again until Tuesday. And now I feel bad for making her buy a SIM card then not even being able to activate it when she should've just avoided all the hassle and activated in-store with the free SIM.

Tried in incognito mode after clearing cookies/cache, used exact address as on credit card file, no space in postal code, no unit number...I frequent the community forum, so I know about the quirks and the little tricks. Still get a 404 error.

Pretty much we're going to miss out on the promo because of the glitchy, non-user-friendly activation system. Coworker might not even want to join PM now after seeing how terrible the system is while trying to sign up. It's a bad first impression of the company for her Smiley Sad

I've been with PM for almost a year now, and I love it! I understand that we get less for less money, and I like that. I don't expect things to go smoothly all the time, and I'm happy to pay less for that. This particular instance seems like a bit much though. I thought the hard part of getting referrals was actually selling people on PM, but in this case it's actually trying to sign them up after they're already convinced! Really making us work for those rewards Smiley LOL

Anyways, enough time for one more try before the end of the workday. Wish me luck!

This is ooakosiryan's friend. It finally worked! He was able to sign me up just in time. Third time's a charm I guess. Looking forward to being part of the Public Mobile community

ooakosiryan

@ooakosiryan wrote:

@Alan_K  For convenience, I want to tell the person I'm referring to just go to Walmart to and activate in-store. Walmart is offering free SIMs for people who activate in-store.

However, this won't work for the promo, right? Because it says to activate online, as opposed to in-store...?

Not sure how it makes sense to add a restriction like that. Isn't Public Mobile happy to have new customers regardless of where they activate? And when in-store is offering free SIMs, it gets rid of the incentive for someone to avail of the promo because they'll be saving $10 on the SIM anyways.

If the person signs up in-store at Walmart, then I (the referrer) will only get the usual reward of $1 off per month, while the person I'm referring will save the equivalent of $20 (from the free SIM in-store—so the bonus doesn't actually make them better off because they'd have to spend $10 on a SIM to activate online and get the $10 extra bonus).

Is that correct or am I missing something?

UPDATE:

Let me preface this by saying I love Public Mobile, and I've had no issues with my account! I say good things about PM, and so my coworker wanted to join.

I convinced her to just get a SIM card for $10 at the Mobile Shop, and I would activate it for her online today. She's a coworker and we're at work right now—I won't be seeing her again until Tuesday (when the promo is over).

So she gets a SIM card, and I enter all the info to activate it, pick a number for her, then get the 404 error. We try again and it says to wait 50 mins. We wait 50 mins. We try again, and this time it takes us one screen further: after picking a number, we pick the plan. We get the 404 error again. Can't try again for another 50 mins.

It's almost the end of the day, and I won't see her again until Tuesday. And now I feel bad for making her buy a SIM card then not even being able to activate it when she should've just avoided all the hassle and activated in-store with the free SIM.

Tried in incognito mode after clearing cookies/cache, used exact address as on credit card file, no space in postal code, no unit number...I frequent the community forum, so I know about the quirks and the little tricks. Still get a 404 error.

Pretty much we're going to miss out on the promo because of the glitchy, non-user-friendly activation system. Coworker might not even want to join PM now after seeing how terrible the system is while trying to sign up. It's a bad first impression of the company for her Smiley Sad

I've been with PM for almost a year now, and I love it! I understand that we get less for less money, and I like that. I don't expect things to go smoothly all the time, and I'm happy to pay less for that. This particular instance seems like a bit much though. I thought the hard part of getting referrals was actually selling people on PM, but in this case it's actually trying to sign them up after they're already convinced! Really making us work for those rewards Smiley LOL

Anyways, enough time for one more try before the end of the workday. Wish me luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.