Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A buddy of mine switch to 3g plan (18gb for $136, data only). He put his SIM into a Telus branded Hub then connected his laptop via wifi. He showed me the browsing, it was quite fine, very responsive. He was in downtown Toronto. He did say that downloading larger files was slower, but expected. He is quite ok with his setup, getting 6GB more data for less money, even at 3g.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
It's definitely a welcomed change 🙂

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Glad to hear that the upload speed will also be capped at 2.5 Mbps which is a definite improvement from 0.4 Mbps, this will make the 3G plans more functional for customers.

srlawren

@gmd wrote:

With FM, I like that if you go over

- they don't stop all services like PM

- you don't have to go online to buy an add-on

@gmd to each their own--for many of us, this is among the best things at PM.  No overages you don't explicitly pre-pay, no surprise bills at the end of the month.  It doesn't sound like you want to be on a pre-paid plan, as even pre-paid plans at other carriers work the same way--stopping the service(s) that run out of their buckets until you refill the buckets.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Michael77
Thank you, @SD08

gmd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As per our post regarding the offer:

*Note: Within 72 hours, your 12GB will be applied. Please check your online account/self-serve for verification.

I switched a line in June. Took quite some time for the switch (following many attempts with the credit card issue).

Michael77
Thank you, @Jeremy_M.

gmd

Before FM comes back and starts using the 500 MB to get people to switch over! 🙂

With FM, I like that if you go over

- they don't stop all services like PM

- you don't have to go online to buy an add-on

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Michael77 wrote:

Do FM customers that port to PM get 12 gigs of LTE or just 500 MB?

Thank you.

@Michael77, Yes they would get 12GB of LTE data (within a 72hour span)

As per our post regarding the offer:

*Note: Within 72 hours, your 12GB will be applied. Please check your online account/self-serve for verification.

Jeremy

SD08

@Michael77 wrote:
I just had a friend call me to say he will not switch from FM to PM because it says he will only get 500MB of LTE data. If you get a full 12 gigs of LTE then it should say it? This is very confusing.

, do FM customers that port to PM get 12 gigs of LTE or just 500 MB?

Thank you.

@Michael77

It will be 12 GB LTE data for every 3 months.  It's there in the first bullet point of the promo thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Competitive-Response-Limited-Time-Offer...

Also repeated in step 3 in the same post:

"3.Register on the above plan and complete the activation process.  Once activated, your data plan will be upgraded from 500MB per 90 days to 12GB per 90 days on 4G LTE within 72 hours."

Michael77
I just had a friend call me to say he will not switch from FM to PM because it says he will only get 500MB of LTE data. If you get a full 12 gigs of LTE then it should say it? This is very confusing.

, do FM customers that port to PM get 12 gigs of LTE or just 500 MB?

Thank you.

FYI folks, 3G upload speed is now capped at ~2.5mbps. 

Michael77
So this plan is the same as the last FM plan but $40 instead of $38 with auto-pay? Right? Not bad. 🙂

jshmeek

@gmd wrote:

I have been looking all day for the 500MB option. Can we expect more ad hoc options being offered.

LESS for less... 500MB is less.

For $126, can you choose between 3GB+3GB@3G speeds and 500MB at LTE speeds?

Offering the 500MB in the meantime while they'll likely get backlogged and will go over the "72 hour" implement time for the extra data. As I said on another thread, the last time I ported from Freedom for the deal in June, it took over a week for the bonus data to show up, and it required contacting a mod.

gmd

That's what I figured, but it's a bad ides to give instructions to people that they cannot see until they activate.

Michael77
Thanks, @WearySky

I think PM should be clear that it is 12 gigs LTE data over 90 days. If I got confused so will other people.

WearySky

@gmd I assume that 500mb plan is only being put into the activation portal for people signing up for the FM promo, since it's not advertised on the regular plans page.

gmd

I have been looking all day for the 500MB option. Can we expect more ad hoc options being offered.

LESS for less... 500MB is less.

For $126, can you choose between 3GB+3GB@3G speeds and 500MB at LTE speeds?

WearySky

@Michael77 wrote:
With the FM promotion, do you get 500MB of LTE data every 30 or 90 days? I guess the rest of the data is at 3g speeds?

You get 12GB every 90 days at LTE speeds.  You just sign up for the 500MB plan because that's the plan that is currently charging $126/90 days, and they add on a promo plan that bumps you up to 12GB.

Michael77
With the FM promotion, do you get 500MB of LTE data every 30 or 90 days? I guess the rest of the data is at 3g speeds?

WearySky

That would be sweet if it worked (saving one step for existing PM customers to get it), but last I heard it didn't.

Also worth noting: obviously existing PM customers would lose any referral credits and would be starting their loyalty credits over from day 1 if they chose this method to get the promo plan.

Oddly the Change Number page says: "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider"

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

WearySky

@RLBL wrote:

It seems the $40 plan is back ... sort of.

available to FM customers, or those who wish to jump through a hoop (e.g. get a FM account then port in). I wonder how current PM customers can get it.

Only way PM customers can get it is by porting out to Freedom, then back in to PM.  Or getting an FM account and porting that in, then porting the PM number out to another prepaid provider and porting back in.

RLBL

It seems the $40 plan is back ... sort of.

available to FM customers, or those who wish to jump through a hoop (e.g. get a FM account then port in). I wonder how current PM customers can get it.

Rockdaddy22
Terrible that we treat our current customers like that 😞

srlawren

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I apologize, which plan is that?

@Rockdaddy22 this one:

@justmag wrote:

Yeah, I am considering leaving Public Mobile because of this, I currently have 2gb (30 days) - 55$ after loyalty and Auto pay, I have been waiting for them to re-introduce that $40 for 4gb plan again, but it seems thats not happening soon. I dont want to downgrade to 3g ever.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
I apologize, which plan is that?

srlawren

@justmag if I were on the plan you're on right now, I would probably be exploring the market as well.  I wish you luck in finding something that meets your needs well.  Please keep us posted when you do make a move?

Rockdaddy22
Ok lol

justmag

I am officially convinced that I need to leave PM. I am looking for a good deal on 4g/LTE. I could careless about 3g

Need Help? Let's chat.