Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

.I wonder if mods were able to clear the backlog now since the start of the new "fiasco" plans, I wasn't in for a couple of days and I noticed that there haven't really been as much requests for fixes of the common glitches we see all the time.
(Not that we don't know why less people are joining)
In a more lighter news :

‘Female Iron Man’ attempts to smuggle 102 iPhones into China

Man LOL

If only we can smuggle plans from the US or the EU as well, that would be great

horemans
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Well, Bell fought tooth and nail against allowing internet operaters onto Fibe. They lost.
The PMO has asked the CRTC to reconsider in the past. There is a glimmer of hope.

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@horemans wrote:
Better petition or email your MP and the PM to force the CRTC to mandate MVNO connections at fair rates. With wired internet mandated fair connections made a big difference.

That'll never happen now, the new CRTC Chair is an ex Telus executive...

We're screwed now for the next 5 years at least.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
lol

Dougk
Looks like I'm screwed with 1gig data lmao...cause I am sure as hell not paying for more or changing anything lol...

Thanks for replying 🙂

SD08

@Dougk wrote:
So if you've got the old setup prices stay the same? What about data do we stay with the lte plan by default or is the plan bounced to 3g?

Assuming you bought a plan before the announced changes, your data stays at what you had before, 4G LTE.  You can therefore keep renewing the same LTE plan.

Dougk
So if you've got the old setup prices stay the same? What about data do we stay with the lte plan by default or is the plan bounced to 3g?

Rockdaddy22
Of course just like every other company lol

gmd

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
These price changes do not effect current customers

...up to now.

Anything can change according to the terms of service available here https://store.publicmobile.ca/pages/terms-of-service.

Can the terms of service change?

Yes, Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/plans. By purchasing service after a change is posted, including by continuing to top up your account, you accept the current terms of service. You can cancel service at any time, without penalty or cancellation fees.

Rockdaddy22
These price changes do not effect current customers

Dragonstew
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
My two new sims arrived today, but because of the pricing change I won't be activating them . I just chucked the envelope unopened into my desk and will be staying with my current carrier.
I would be nervous about joining PM in the future . I don't want to take the time to switch then have the prices go up like they just have.

pckku

I have been away for two months and now discovered the PM management have come up with several new offerings and eliminated few previous promotions as well as jacking up prices for all 4G and LTE plans, by as much as 50%. Some of us may augue that we are grandfathered in and not affected by this new hike.

First, it is encouraging to know that PM accepts our suggestions to have retailed outlets. But they pass on the additional costs to all new customers by increasing the cost of the SIM card by 100%. Think back for a little. What is the main reason for potential customers rushing to order a SIM card - because they want to take advantage of the irresistible promotions offered by PM from time to time. Now, looking at the current new 3G offerings, who would want to sign up with a wireless provider knowing at best is getting the slow, outdated, sluggish, 3G technology?  Even PM going back to $0 will not be attracting new customers.

Here are some examples of rate hikes:

Unlimited Canada wide & US Calls, Global Texting and 6Gb per 90 days jumped 40% from $150 to the new $210

Unlimited Province wide, Global Texting and 6Gb per 90 days jumped 50% from $120 to the new unbelievable $180

Even Unlimited Province wide, Global Texting are now at $90 per 90 days instead of previously offered at $81. An increase of 11%

PM has been portrait as a progressive wireless service provider, offering quality and reliable technology to new customers while charging a reasonable rate. We all have a good time helping each other out in the Community forum, making countless suggestions to PM for improvements and other business considerations to further the expanding PM’s customer base. It is disheartening to realize now that PM as a subsidiary of Telus, it  has no chance to succeed.

What I am worrying about is our current plan holders will eventually get a note from PM that they are changing our rate plans. This is evident from an announcement back in March 2017 that effective Apr 1, all Legacy / Pioneer rate plans will increase.

horemans
Better petition or email your MP and the PM to force the CRTC to mandate MVNO connections at fair rates. With wired internet mandated fair connections made a big difference.

geologyking
These increases don't fall within the mandate of the CCTS but I encourage everyone to visit the Competition Bureau website and make a complaint about the massive increase in LTE plans.

"Looks like Canada will always have horribly priced plans until the CRTC finally steps in like they did with unlocking and 3 year contracts."

These "customer" friendly rulings are double edged swords unfortunatetly. For example the ruling to allow only 2 year contracts actually caused a "price" increase in order to pay back phones in 2 rather that 3 years, and, no doubt, some hidden based plan price increases. The unlocking fee seemed unreasonable to me too, but it did raise income for the telcos that they are now going to recover somewhere else. Robot Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo

@Paddle8 Not too sure now abou that as the  Telus ex CEO is taking over the CRTC.

also Check out zoomer as they have some decent promos going untill teh end of the month

Paddle8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My mother just got a new phone and I gave her my PM SIM from last Fall's promo that was never activated. Guess it'll never be activated. 

This appears to be deliberate sabotage of the PM brand due to it taking away from the Big 3's bottom line. Very disappointed. Looks like Canada will always have horribly priced plans until the CRTC finally steps in like they did with unlocking and 3 year contracts.

mech9t5
Ive used T-Mobile in Hawaii, LA, Vegas, new York, San Fran, and a bunch more. No issues

If you ever travel to US and used them you would know TMo is garbage

US has many low cost carriers and they certainly appeal to certain crowds but we have better low end (entrant) plans than they do.

TMo is infamous for fine print scams & extra fees

And customer service is a joke; AT&T is light years better

TMo monthly plan is like $70 USD + taxes

Thats more than Big3 up here

Oh and don't forget; TMo charges $25 USD + $10 USD activation fee

So $35 USD right out of the box

Most of the people in this thread are crying over $10 CAD for a SIM

@jpar wrote:

Seeing a carrier like T-Mobile in Canada would be awesome.

Rockdaddy22
That's right, I forgot about those Brazilians lol

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Tim Hortons is actually American 😜

Technically, Restaurant Brands International (the company formed by the merger of BK and Timmy's) is a Canadian company.  I work down the street from their head office here in Oakville.  Though I think the majority ownership of RBI is held by a Brazilian company.

well because burger king bought them, but was founded in Hamilton and the HQ is in Oakville. I still classify them as Canadian aha. Some Americans still dont know what a double double isRobot EmbarassedSmiley Tongue

Rockdaddy22
Tim Hortons is actually American 😜

why would you want to pressure the government to stop? Canada needs an actual big 4th name (we leave freedom out for now). Adding another proiver also can increase jobs. When rumors of verizon coming to canada started, Rogers, Bell, Telus were terrifed. Yes comapnies always expand into different countries, some may be good and some may be bad. But if it increase compeition, it isnt necessairly bad. As a consumer, would you want to pay a higher price for a service, or a lower price given there were more additional options

McDonalds is basically everywhere around the world, Tim Hortons is in the states now, and some pop up stores in Europe.

Edit: Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your postRobot Embarassed

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gmd wrote:

@WearySky wrote:

Yup - there's a handful of errors that it is literally mindboggling that they still exist, all this time later.  1, 2 day fixes (and sometimes even less!) stick around for months and months and months.  It's pretty clear that Telus has given PM basically nothing in terms of a budget for web development to fix their system.

Koodo never got an app for their prepaid plans (which PM could use).

As part of the NAFTA renegotiation, the US have put in their list that their mobile service providers to be able to expand to Canada. Now what's our incentive (as citizens) to try to put pressure on our government to block this? Prices in the US have slowly come down in the last 10 years, while ours kept going up.

Seeing a carrier like T-Mobile in Canada would be awesome.

gmd

@WearySky wrote:

Yup - there's a handful of errors that it is literally mindboggling that they still exist, all this time later.  1, 2 day fixes (and sometimes even less!) stick around for months and months and months.  It's pretty clear that Telus has given PM basically nothing in terms of a budget for web development to fix their system.

Koodo never got an app for their prepaid plans (which PM could use).

As part of the NAFTA renegotiation, the US have put in their list that their mobile service providers to be able to expand to Canada. Now what's our incentive (as citizens) to try to put pressure on our government to block this? Prices in the US have slowly come down in the last 10 years, while ours kept going up.

WearySky

Rockdaddy22
The sign up process definitely still needs work. People should be able to use whichever browser they'd like. It's insane that it hasn't been fixed yet.

WearySky

@kav2001c wrote:

@gmd that actually is a very good thing and shows how many people jumped ship

Think about it; they increased number of support personal, they (supposedly) learned from mistakes during last fall promo, and the community at large was better equiped to help out

And system still came down

Goes to show the $120 12GB plan is super popular, even as a limited competitive offer

Obviously the promo plan is super popular - prices are only going up with other carriers, so nothing comes even remotely close to matching this plan other than the Koodo QC promo plans, and many folks don't want to jump through the hoops necessary for those plans.

Having said that - I think *any* popular promtion would be enough to take down the site.  It's basically held together with masking tape and positive thoughts.

MLPhoto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Was there enough complaining for them to bring the old pricing back ...

To be honest, now I dont have the option of jumping to the old 90days 12Gb plan (LTE) like I use to without selling my last born.

Need Help? Let's chat.