Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

mech9t5
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I know it has all been said but I want to add 1 more vote for "what the heck were they thinking"

Here is what's wrong with the 3g plans
1. Price - same as chatr
2. No call center for same chatr price
3. Throttled to 2.5mbps compared to chatr throttled to 3mbps
4. No unlimited data compared to chatr - public cuts off while chatr slows down to 64kbps
5. No retail presence - and no, selling Sims from Walmart don't count. Chatr has reps.
6. Province wide talk vs Canada wide and US talk
7. Require 90 days to get the $50 price per month

The ONLY advantage Public Mobile has over chatr is that it is not zoned.

So who exactly is public mobile competing with now?

gmd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kav2001c wrote:

@gmd that actually is a very good thing and shows how many people jumped ship

Think about it; they increased number of support personal, they (supposedly) learned from mistakes during last fall promo, and the community at large was better equiped to help out

And system still came down

Goes to show the $120 12GB plan is super popular, even as a limited competitive offer

Totally agree with you.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@livelove What plan were you looking at the 2gb $40/month ??   zoomer has a promo till the end of the month. 40.5$ 2gb i think and $45 for 2.5gb .  2 year term and you can get a phone as well.

@livelove wrote:

Had ordered another sim card to switch over another family member, now I'm not going to just give them 3g speeds...

livelove
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Had ordered another sim card to switch over another family member, now I'm not going to just give them 3g speeds...

What a horrible change

jawkneej
I guess it was only a matter of time.
🤦🏼‍♂️

PhoneWizard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This new shuffle in data speeds for more money is just plain rude. 

@gmd that actually is a very good thing and shows how many people jumped ship

Think about it; they increased number of support personal, they (supposedly) learned from mistakes during last fall promo, and the community at large was better equiped to help out

And system still came down

Goes to show the $120 12GB plan is super popular, even as a limited competitive offer

@gmd wrote:

They sure struggled during the Freedom promo two weeks ago. Maybe a trend they don't like has started. They sure are the only one to know for sure what's going on.

kevin_camera

At the beginning, all was supposed to be automated (transfers, payments, etc.); I believe things didn't go as planned and people (at PM) need to get involved more and more. Now the more they spend on customer support, the more they need to charge to everyone.

The cause for increased customer support is a result of poor automation -- the infamous "regex" error problem was due to poor programming which was something that wasn't fixed since fall promo and haunted users again in the freedom promo.

Whether the decision makers are aware that this is the cause of that is another story.  They probably don't understand the backend enough to push for a fix.  Our interns can do this with their eyes closed within 2 minutes.

This kind of makes sense.  It is easy for someone up there to decide to throw more money to hire more people to patch a problem vs fixing the root cause in the first place.

jshmeek
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just added the $150 minimum because if you found a better deal elsewhere, you'd have to pay off the remainder before ending the contract.

I don't need a phone, so I'd just sign the contract with the cheapest available phone.

mimmo

@jshmeek good catch on the date, i didn't see it in teh fine print  but i just chatted with the rep(online chat) and they said the promo will end july 31.

also are you sure about the minimum 150$ purrchase. I thought you could get any phone...

The zoomer promos might be  a viable opion for some and not for others, it all depends on wants/needs.

jshmeek

Thanks for posting that.

It says that those plans are only available until June 30th. I'm not sure if they are still honoring those deals, but I see the $40.50 a month 2gb plan on their front page still.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

From what I can tell the two networks out here (Rogers and Telus) give me very similar coverage these days. So I have no reason not to choose my provider based on my wallet.

IMHO prepaid cell service prices generally should go down, not up. Specially when operating on a bare bones business model. My perception is that Public Mobile was successful in it's niche market, with essentially no advertising cost (until recently). So why change a successful business plan?? (Rhetorical question...)

Not to mention that it leaves a bitter taste with the people who are part of that success: the community members who are part of the customer support system and were the driving force of the growth strategy, one referral at the time.

{Full disclosure: I feel like the changes don't really have an effect on my cell phone budget in the foreseeable future. I assume that my grandfathered $25 talk & text promo will stand for the next little while. And even on the regular plans, province wide talk / unlimited text has actually come down ($111/90days to $90/90days). Combined with the Canada wide talk add-on and the 1GB data add-on it's the perfect match for me, with the best pricing. There isn't that much choice if you're outside the big centres...}

mimmo
All the plans i mentioned were online
http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/canada-150

jshmeek

Ah, now I see that it is advertised. Not 2.5gb, but 2gb. And $40.50 a month. And, I'd assume, access to those loyalty plans that give Public a run for their money (especially if you're on the 90 day/6gb plan).

jshmeek

@mimmo

AFAIK, those Zoomer plans require a 2 year contract (with a minimum $150 outright phone) and credit check. They're promo plans that are not advertised and are only available until July 31st.

Honestly, the $45 a month plan is rather enticing, and apparently after 6 months you can move up to 4gb and unlimited calling for the same price (a loyalty type plan). I'd even go as far to say that their referral rewards are better than Public's ($50 one-time bill credit for each person you refer). If you prefer the Rogers network, or have an unlocked phone that doesn't use band 17 (like mine), it actually might be worth it. Also, it seems you get 10% off no matter the plan, so it would actually come out to $40.50 a month. Definitely a good deal.

Public mobile is on twitter again. Their tweets are....interesting

@gmd wrote:

They sure struggled during the Freedom promo two weeks ago. Maybe a trend they don't like has started. They sure are the only one to know for sure what's going on.

I know there were delays with resolving issues during the FM promo but I thought they did great and yes some were days.  The Fall promo(though it had a way larger influx of customers) had people with issues for over 2 weeks.  I think the MODS do an amazing job at all times and for the next promo it looks like there will be quite a few mods focused here now that this is the only point of contact.  So it will be interesting to see how the next promo rolls out and how service is for that.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

samgabbay

Looks a tad expensive for me. and i dont mind the data not rolling over as i  use it up. with PM i would use it all up within 3 weeks. So i think im might just switch..Im thinking about it

mimmo

@samgabbay wrote:

6GB talk text provincial. 75$ but i run out WAY too fast and was thinking of chatr as they do have unlimited on 2G even if all i use mostly is whatsapp and basic browsing....ThoughtsS?

check out zoomer they havs a 2.5gb promo plan for 45$  and  3gb for 54$

also chatr uses zones and  at PM you have data for 90 days...

just a note about chatr datta speeds:

"Once you have reached  100% usage, you can continue to use in‐zone data with no overage charge, but your data speeds will be reduced from up to 3 Mbps to up to  64 kbps"

mimmo

Well if they ordered a sim... and was waiting for it to arrive to activate the promo... then see this hike and decide not to switch over...they would be out $10...and well PM would be making $10 off people who never signed up

the price hike for sims went up after teh promo.  so it would be only 5$  there was more tahn enough time to order a sim and activate. the freedom promo was even extended by a week.

samgabbay

6GB talk text provincial. 75$ but i run out WAY too fast and was thinking of chatr as they do have unlimited on 2G even if all i use mostly is whatsapp and basic browsing....ThoughtsS?

Noosiekins

@RLBL wrote:

Screwed? none

Out $10 for the SIM... ok $10.

My sister-in-law showed me the freedom promo and I told her she might be better off buying a freedom SIM and signup. I was going to give her a PM SIM so she could port over.  Long story short, she dragged her heels and is still on Rogers. However had she done what I suggested, she would be locked in on the promo.

Overall I am dissapointed because her plan on Rogers is too expensive, and I now do not have any reason to encourage her to come to PM safe for my own modest gains (referral).  It would still be a win-win... just not a win-super win.

So for the people who were on other contracts and were waiting to come to PM and had a SIM, they could still do that is the price is still competitive... just nowhere near as awesme a deal where it was (the pricing is very close to Kood plans, apples to apples - excluding the current koodo promo which is better than PM)

Well if they ordered a sim... and was waiting for it to arrive to activate the promo... then see this hike and decide not to switch over...they would be out $10...and well PM would be making $10 off people who never signed up

RLBL

@Noosiekins wrote:

@gmd wrote:

I wonder how many people they've screwed over with this bump. I'm sure there are lots of people who saw the Freedom promo, ordered their SIM...was waiting for it and is now left high and dry.

Screwed? none

Out $10 for the SIM... ok $10.

My sister-in-law showed me the freedom promo and I told her she might be better off buying a freedom SIM and signup. I was going to give her a PM SIM so she could port over.  Long story short, she dragged her heels and is still on Rogers. However had she done what I suggested, she would be locked in on the promo.

Overall I am dissapointed because her plan on Rogers is too expensive, and I now do not have any reason to encourage her to come to PM safe for my own modest gains (referral).  It would still be a win-win... just not a win-super win.

So for the people who were on other contracts and were waiting to come to PM and had a SIM, they could still do that is the price is still competitive... just nowhere near as awesme a deal where it was (the pricing is very close to Kood plans, apples to apples - excluding the current koodo promo which is better than PM)

ozolins99

90 days pre-paid for $60 is not a deal for 2 gig of data.....these are wind prices....koodo prices.....I was about to sign up a third number, not any longer.....

Noosiekins

@gmd wrote:

I wonder how many people they've screwed over with this bump. I'm sure there are lots of people who saw the Freedom promo, ordered their SIM...was waiting for it and is now left high and dry.

dsfkjhdsjkfhdsj

These new plans are appalling.

I guess Telus trying to kill off PM.

mimmo

If the self serve worked properly then 95% of the support issues (even during promos) would be not exist (including some of the failed port issues)

During regular times support is top notch and quick.  During backlogs it is still top notch but delayed 2-4 days ( which is honestly unacceptable)

Rockdaddy22
Yes during hot promos they've struggled but during normal times it's super smooth

vlladdrakk

What are with the new data plans? These prices are ridiculous high for data. I was going to activate a SIM for my wife and it was going to cost $120 (there abouts) for the cheapest data, texting, and canada wide calling. Now to have LTE that is going to cost an extra $65 and with 3G it will be an extra $20 (with far too slow speeds)

I do not see any benefit in this and will not be paying for these high data rates. Public mobile was so good and such a great alternative to everthing else. Now you are going to lose your competitive edge in the market.

This is extremely disappointing and not the happy announcement this post tries to make it out to be.

Part of me thinks it has a little part to do with their new adveristing campagin. Before we never really saw any billboards, videos, bus banners, ect. Not sure how much this whole campagin costed or is costing them, but they probably want to make some of that money back, resulting in increases across the board

Need Help? Let's chat.