Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

gmd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

They sure struggled during the Freedom promo two weeks ago. Maybe a trend they don't like has started. They sure are the only one to know for sure what's going on.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I can't agree with that. The only time they struggled with customer service was during big promos. The rest of the time it was fast and efficient. So I don't think they've really spent much more on support. I guess only they know for sure what's going on.

gmd

@kevin_camera wrote:

Please consider going back to the simple and cheap model.  I am a big fan of the fresh options that PM is offering -- it would be terrible for it to turn into the same customer service model as the rest of the big 3.

I'm starting to think that that's exactly what they want to do (turning it into Koodo II), creating confusion at the same time. ARPU is what drives everything.

At the beginning, all was supposed to be automated (transfers, payments, etc.); I believe things didn't go as planned and people (at PM) need to get involved more and more. Now the more they spend on customer support, the more they need to charge to everyone.

Raise ARPU + spend more = raise prices

They tried something, we responded. Now they know the level of influence/control they have.

Does this make you feel good?

mimmo

@samgabbay  what plan do you currently have and where would you go?

@samgabbay wrote:

Disgusted at these offers. Might be switching soon.

kevin_camera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think the original PM idea of simplying phone service was a good one.  You'd select from a small table of what you think you need for your phone service.  There would be no use for  physical stores, phone customer service reps or fancy variety of subsidized phone plans -- hence pricing will be cheap.

Please consider going back to the simple and cheap model.  I am a big fan of the fresh options that PM is offering -- it would be terrible for it to turn into the same customer service model as the rest of the big 3.

samgabbay
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Disgusted at these offers. Might be switching soon.

mimmo

If chatr is viable then why cant PM be viable in the same market section. If chatr has a decent subscriber base then PM believes that there is either room/demand in that space for them or for them to take people away from chatr.  i think it is as simple as that. 

PM has a one up on chatr as it uses the entire network while chatr has zones 

Plus I think that they were taking too many high paying subscribers from the main brands.

We can discuss this till the cows come home, at the moment this is the way it is they can charge whatever price they want. nd i think they are still slightly cheaper than koodo for their lte plans.

The only way i think things will change is if people do not buy the new 3g plans or if people start leaving PM.  ( I wont unless they start  raise my plan price, which they legaly can).

I remember when virgin raised my wifes plan by $5/ month, i was gone in a heart beat.  (I miss the 241 move tickets but i think we can see more movies now with my current savings vs when i was on bell or she was on virgin)

If people ask for plan advice on the forums i have no problems directing to other providers if i feel their offering are better than PM's  But if someone wants 6gb of data at 3g(2.5mbs) who am i to stop them and say go spend $85/month for 5gb or 110$ for 7gb because its LTE

Rockdaddy22
Prices aren't changing if your already on a plan.

I haven't seen anyone defend these prices. Maybe you confuse what I say as supporting these changes. Just trying to explain them, not support them.

Dougk
99% of the time we stay in city, based on coverage map places we do go...are covered...

@Dougk you do realize the $45 Chatr 4GB plan is zoned right? Can't actually use phone anywhere outside major city

Dougk
Looks like will be jumping ship.....45$ for 4gig data with chatr without 90 day commitment...sounds good!! Too bad was really digging pm setup they had going...stupid mistake on their part....will keep Sims anyway in case they come to their senses.

@Ashley price wise still cheaper than competition by far; who do you think is even close to similar prices?

Also can you please show me which prepaid carrier offers a phone or a phone subsidy?

I won't even comment on "instant" customer service (no frills carriers are often 30+ minutes to even answer the phone...)

@Ashley wrote:

Can someone smart please explain why anyone in their right mind would want to join Public Mobile now?

Cons (joining PM):

- Higher or equal pricing for LTE plans

- Higher or equal pricing for 3G plans

- Insulting very low speed for 3G plans

- No phone or phone subsidy 

- No real stores

- No instant customer service

- No real time chat capability for support

- Customers left helpless when there is a large load of request (for example during promos).

- Buggy online portal which is not able to handle user load during promo (it is a shame that this is a complete online service and yet there are so many repeated and known bugs that PM ignore to fix).  What a shame!!

Pros:

- None anymore (low pricing was the only pro before and honestly that is the whole reason why people used to put up with not having stores and just waiting to get help when really need, even with no service).  

Now with this insult slap on the face high pricing, there is no need to put up with this.

- May be another pro is just to have nice community members and mods.

@Crackmacs activity is all that matters

You can post as much negative comments as you like

Or even talk about your cat

At the end of the day you get what, $2 or $4 off your phone bill?

You would make more money collecting shopping carts at your local grocery store if you are that hard up for cash

@Crackmacs wrote:

The incentive of money off your bill for being active on the forums sure causes a lot of PM apologists to show up here. If they raised prices to $250/mo for 4gb data you'd still have people going off about how great the change was blah blah

horemans
Not many places to go.. Freedom?

SD08

@Crackmacs wrote:

The incentive of money off your bill for being active on the forums sure causes a lot of PM apologists to show up here. If they raised prices to $250/mo for 4gb data you'd still have people going off about how great the change was blah blah

Not me... I'd be long gone before my cost hits even a quarter of that.  I think many of the regulars here would bolt as well, as the people who use PM are generally more price-conscious and willing to switch than the average cell customer.  Owning unlocked phones on 90 day plans or shorter makes it fairly easy to leave.  

horemans

Hold on to it. I have done an analysis of the rate of increase of sim prices. Hold on for 2 more years and you should be able to trade one for a nice car, a little longer and you could get a condo.

Remember you saw it here first

Crackmacs

daveccrit

I'll be keeping in mind that Telus owns this company.  I switched from Bell because Bell's prices were getting outrageous... If Im forced to leave PM because of their new prices, I won't be looking at a Telus company to switch to. I won't support companies that have this type of business model.  They'll lose my business (Which includes business from the companies I work for since I look after their network infrastructure) for any service they provide. The only way these companies will listen is if they are punished for not.

horemans

Don't forget comrades that some cards went from free to $5 now to $10.

At this rate the increases have only begun.

horemans

And Telus saw that PM was a good thing.. in fact too good!

Even Martha Stewart knows when there's too much of a good thing {unless recommend by her stock broker}

Let us hope PM (prime minister of Canada) forces the CRTC to force fair access for MVNO's. It did wonders for our friends to the South, and with the usual 10 year lag, we could catch up!

Rockdaddy22
I don't think people care about that crap. They care about price. I would prefer another fall promo, but I'll take anything at this point. Of course if they never have a fall type promo, and they stick with this pricing, then you'd be right. We'll see what happens.

jshmeek

@Rockdaddy22

Another Freedom promo?

I absolutely hope not. Those targetted promos are a joke. Public shot itself with these rate hikes. As the other poster above said, these rate hikes will make them look far less competitive come September (busiest time of the year for mobile carriers in Canada). Telus obviously wants to get rid of Public or switch it completely to the Chatr formula. Either way, they just come out looking worse.

Rockdaddy22
Obviously PM doesn't care if freedom gets more customers this summer. I guess PM feels they have enough for now.

Rockdaddy22
Of course he did the right thing. I'm just saying hold onto to the sim. Do you disagree?

Crackmacs

@Rockdaddy22 what's he supposed to do in the meantime? Needs phone service still. He said his contract expired yesterday with Rogers. PM raised their prices and reduced service at the same time, and it caused a potential customer to take his money elsewhere. PM should fix this. 

Rockdaddy22
Who says they won't do another freedom promo in a couple months? Save that sim 🤑

BasesLoadedWalk

Well, unfortunately, the recent price increase chased me away to Freedom Mobile. I ordered a Public Mobile Sim card last month, and was just waiting for my current wireless contract with Rogers to expire (which was yesterday). Was planning on activating with PM today, but now they chased me to Freedom Mobile. Ironic thing is PM was just recently trying to lure Freedom customers over with their recent promo, but I'm now be willing to bet that Freedom nets more customers this summer than PM does. I was concerned with the Freedom Mobile data speed before signing up, but I am getting 70 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up, so that fear is long gone.

jt17g

very competitive offer, i like itSmiley Wink

DSoulliere

You've absolutely killed the draw to your company. These are Koodo-tier prices. Koodo already exists.

jpr3

Two sim cards I bought last week just arrived yesterday. I guess I should left them somewhere in the closet because I will not recommend PM to my friend with these plans. Very disappointed

Need Help? Let's chat.