Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

jshmeek
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There's no difference in data usage. However, faster speeds can lead to better efficiency, and thus more usage.

If you are browsing the same thing on LTE vs on 3G, would your data usage be the same on LTE or more?

BMaloney
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm quite disappointed by this regression. I've referred a bunch of my friends to a great deal and a reliable network, but now I look like an idiot.

Thanks! I knew anything good in Canadian telecom could never last.

Hey Public Mobile.......Marty McFly just called from the year 2005 to give you a heads up that his mobile internet speed is still faster than your new 3G plans. 

Also, who Bravoed the announcement of these plans. You've just said hey, i'm okey with getting less value and being charged more.  Unless PM retracts this insanity, I'm going to beleive that Telus simply wants the brand to die.

Now that i've had my turn ranting. Does anyone know how 3g would be for spotify??? I'm not someone who plays videos when on mobile data but I do like my music. I'm more curious then anything since i never go over my current plan.   

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Yea I have mine locked to 4G for data usually because my LTE is spotty, but I wouldn't go down to 2.5Mbps

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Unfortunately the low speed makes it unsuitable for a lot of people. It is great for browsing the web, voip calling, streaming podcasts, email, iMessage and low quality video.

Crackmacs

@IWIK in my phone it's set to use "2g/3g", so I assume it's 3g. There's no way to disable 4g along with the lte. 

This option is throttled to 2.5Mbps?? Well that's crap haha. No way am I switching to that. 

Just did a speedtest on my 3g, 10.30/4.37. I'll stick to this.

Thanks for the heads up. Public Mobile are out of their minds. 

Rockdaddy22
The bonus will stay as long as you keep your plan

Dougk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
If we signup under new 3g speeds with bonus data will the bonus data always be there or does that expire after the 90 days as well?

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
@Crackmacs also if you just have LTE off maybe you are using 4G. Which is faster, or if you are using 3G it's not throttled at 2.5Mbps like this option is

Crackmacs

Hmm.

I'm on the $40/mo 4gb lte package. I usually leave lte turned off, otherwise I'd blow through my data way too quickly. Because I'm already used to 3g speeds, I'd love to switch to the 3g 18gb offer, giving up my lte, but not for $10 more per month. Giving up the faster speeds but paying more money for it? Nah. These prices are so weird. 

Rockdaddy22
So go edit a couple of your contacts to add a 1

potato

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
@potato you realize you can dial 1 before the number to avoid that stupid message.

Good to know but it is an exceptionally rare event that I am manually dialing a new number. None of my contacts are saved that way and if I'm calling something new, I'm probably just pasting in or clicking a phone number as a link.

Rockdaddy22
@potato you realize you can dial 1 before the number to avoid that stupid message.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

"Less for Less"?

Really?

PM.... check Google, it's worth noting that any campaign that has ever focussed on giving customers LESS... even if for less dollars has failed.

This worries me man, I'm going to be a little more picky about who I refer to PM until this round of support change silliness, price plan changes, and re-hashing of failed marketing campaigns goes away.

Wow.... less for less...  Smiley MadSmiley SurprisedSmiley Sad

CoolCanada
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ya I will definitely not be recommending Public Mobile to anyone anymore. Im fine with no contact centre but now no social media support and prices are not even competitive. Try again later.

Noosiekins
I was thinking the same thing @marcmicalizzi! My renewal is not till september so hopefully all this insanity would be reversed by then?

Noosiekins
I read over on Mobile Syrup that as of July 21st, PM sims will be available for purchase at Wow! Mobile Kiosks... Maybe the increase and ridiculous new plans are to pay for the spot on the shelves LOL

For a company that is BOY phone, this price increase seems ridiculous.

marcmicalizzi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was actually wanting to increase the amount of data I had from 6GB/90 to something higher. I guess not anymore.

coltonbauman
Well, I'll have a hard time recommending PM to friends and family now. What a bummer. I know I won't ever be changing my plan now.

potato

Wow these are TERRIBLE plans and CRAZY price increases. You'd have to be insane to sign up with PM at these rates. Mediocre support, 90 day pay ahead terms, only provincial calling with the stupid 'completing your call' for any call outside your area code... all for basically the same price as premium services offering voLTE, RCS, customer service by phone or brick and mortar... At bargain basement prices it's great, but anything above that, you need to be offering more.

At this point I'm concerned that PM will be closing up shop entirely or is planning on jacking up everyone's prices.

BasesLoadedWalk

Well, here is a quick comparison of PM to Telus. PM with Canada-Wide Talk, Global Text and 4GB/month works out to $80/month when you sign up for the 90 day plan. On Telus you get Canada-Wide talk, Canada-wide text (not global), and 4.5 GB/month for $85 (just $5 more than PM) on a BYOD plan, and that is a 30 day commitement instead of 90 days. So why on earth would I sign up with PM now when I could pay $5 a month more and be on the full Telus brand including access to call in service, stores and more advanced features like VoLTE and Wifi Calling, plus options like Easy Roam etc?  Seems like these rate increases are a deliberate attempt to get people onto the main Telus network and eventually kill off the PM brand.

Rustynayl
Good luck earning any new referral bonuses from now on... You'd have to straight up ret***ed to join with these rates... Great job PM...

jshmeek

Yep. Quite a shame really. The increase should've been more marginal than it was, because the savings from the lack of overhead (employees for call centers, stores) doesn't translate to the plans anymore.

Rockdaddy22
I guess I was more referring to grandfathered plans with Rogers, Bell or Telus. All companies change plans, hopefully PM will change back one day. It sucks for me too that I can't in good conscious refer people to PM anymore 😞

Rockdaddy22
Trust me I hate these price increases, but should they have given warning or something. I wonder how that would've gone.

jshmeek

While there haven't been rate increases since the transition, the overnight increase in plans is concerning.

And I got a rate increase or two on Rogers while under contract, they always implemented a bill credit for the rest of the contract duration.

Rockdaddy22
I don't think there have been any increases to the plans that came along after the transition to a self serve model.

Rockdaddy22
A bill credit lol Tell that to people who got rate increases with Rogers Bell or Telus.

jshmeek

With a contract they have to provide a bill credit.

There was a rate increase (not sure if it was the "pioneer" or "grandfathered" plans) in 2014, and it was $5 per month.

Need Help? Let's chat.