Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

@Rockdaddy22 @Someone_here, wether there is a conspiracy or not after this, I would not be surprised that later it turns out that even Bell might have pushed for this as they start rolling their 4 Carrier Aggregation for highter speeds, and they don't want us to be back-riding their network for third the prices.

Anyway like @will13am mentionned , there is a huge gap now between base plans and promos, which keeps us in tension mode, anticipating anything at this point.

Now for 3G , I don't know what to say, at the bare minimum give access to the full HSPA instead of capping at 2.5G , I mean really....?!!! Really

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Either way, they still offer the service. Something they could've easily cut, but they haven't.

Hopefully you are right and I am wrong 😉

Regarding call center, it is not much of an effort... It's the Koodo call center with some employee being (probably already) trained for Public Mobile...

Rockdaddy22
Nice conspiracy theory. Meanwhile they keep call centers open for grandfathered customers.

All the people I know in real life on PM, have no referrals or community rewards.

I don't agree with these new plans, but I can't make the same leap as you.

@Rockdaddy22
Sadly, that is mostly the way I feel also...
With these plans looking like they were designed AND priced on purpose to have no new clients, and with more people starting to earn rewards (for example many people can easily have a monthly reduction of 2 autopay + say 2 referral + 1 loyalty soon = $5 off or more, depending on recruitment and time being client), to me it looks like they are sabotaging themselves to then have a justification, if needed, in front of CRTC/CCTS, saying it's not profitable anymore to keep it open as they are not getting new clients and so and so...

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

While I have advocated for PM since I have joined and have continually supported the company, I have to say that these changes are quite disappointing and a step in the wrong direction. We should be promoting the use of 4G LTE and making 3G obsolete altogether. Why is a company like PM, once an innovative company, forward thinking company, receeding back to offering 3G plans while making LTE now less accessable through the price hikes? It doesn't make sense to me (from a consumer perspective, but I guess it makes total sense from a business perspective...$$$). I feel like you guys have ruined your brand image that you worked so hard to establish, and I am deeply disappointed with the direction that this company is heading in.

Rockdaddy22
You work for PM or something? If not then it's nonsense.

cheerios
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Rockdaddy22 it's only a matter of time before people's 4g plans are made "obsolete" and they are forced to change to a current plan or leave. 5g is around the corner. 3g shouldn't even be on the cards.

Rockdaddy22
Why would you lose your plan. If you are already on a plan, then you have nothing to worry about.

cheerios
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is sad news.  This campaign should have been more for less.  Technology keeps getting less expensive but Canadian cell phone service keeps getting more expensive.  I won't be sticking around if I lose my plan. 😞

This is why, I believe the CRTC should have their Say.

This is Madness, Sadness, and most of all, like we have been left behind, Marooned, Forgotten

@makkahn28 wrote:

Perhaps PM is done for, Kaputs, On the Night Train for the Big Adios

The end of the experiment is quite possible.

shaner82
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This makes me really angry.  I gave up a very good corporate plan with Rogers (with more data) to sign up with PM.  I can never get that Rogers plan back.  I can't help but think PM isn't going to grandfather the cheaper plans for long, not with this new direction.  I see a change coming.  

I'll be bailing on PM once I find a comparable plan to what I pay now.  

PM is dead to me

@makkahn28 wrote:

I feel personally the 3G Plans are NOT the correct direction.

These changes is like a Slap in the Face, No Disrespect intended, Just Bewildered

3G data wouldn't be such a punch in the face if they didn't purposely throttle it down to nearly unusable speed so they can push people to pay more for proper data.  I still have a Tbaytel data plan which is powered by unthrottled Rogers 3G.  Depending on location, it can be as fast as 15 mbits.  

Hopefully PM is understanding the circumstances.
These Changes are very hard to fathom

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
See, isn't this nice? Everyone getting to Voice their opinion without having make a dozen new threads called 'The new plan are terribly' or being scared by having to create a new thread and thus not getting the voice heard

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think the 90-day 120$ 12G plan will ever come back now...

Perhaps PM is done for, Kaputs, On the Night Train for the Big Adios

Rockdaddy22
I definitely don't agree with the direction. I think most 90 day plans went up $60.

I guess they felt they had enough early adopters and it's time to slow down. Telus is most likely pushing them that way. I guess they want us to compete directly with Chatr and other 3rd tier carriers, not 2nd tier like virgin and Fido.

Let's make it Simple:

CANCEL the 3G Plans, LIKE Really, Cancel 3G Plans

Just expand the 4G Options, FOCUS On them

The 3G Plans really create and Generate Confusion, Speeds and such, plus the Separate Fees, Add-Ons, = Catastrophe

These Changes are in my Opinion why the CRTC MUST Address

These Changes are extremely costly, and can have dire consequences

I feel personally the 3G Plans are NOT the correct direction.

These changes is like a Slap in the Face, No Disrespect intended, Just Bewildered

Halfdome
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Very disappointed as well. I have been promoting PM to all my friends and family but I'm sad to say that will end with this new pricing in place. I had a few people ready to switch but now i will have to tell them to hold off unless things improve. I am rather shocked that PM would increase the rates so much after offering such a sweet deal to freedom customers.

Plus, PM Not having Stores, Call Centers, No selling Handsets, How Can PM justify this?

@Rockdaddy22, Are U concerned at the Announced Changes, or that the 4G Plans were raised?

Take my Plan

90 Day Term

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+6GB

I'm paying $150

That VERY SAME Plan, NOW $210

PPL are now very much Concerned.

Plus, the rates now, They're VERY Close to What You'd pay at Postpaid Carriers.

I'm just Extremely Nerve Recked and wondering, When the Other shoe drops.

Rockdaddy22
I'm not at all worried about our current plans. I'm sure you'll see some decent promos in the future.
@darkdragon88

@Jeremy_M@Shazia_K@Mary_M, If you are reading these feedback's, Please understand that these Changes have generated some deep concerns, as PPL might feel that PM is abandoning the Core Principles of what PM originally stood for, or what these Changes might lead to.

We're concerned PM maybe on it's way to the Scrapheap, that PM might be looking at a Short Lifespan and that We might be looking at having to Search for Didderent Carriers or Being forced onto Koodo

jonathanlo83
This new plan sucks.

mjagadeesh
Well, that sucks public mobile. This is so stupid

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I will say this, I saw the YT Thing and also on the Bus signs as well

I think PM made a VERY BAD Judgement call on this, Just my opinion.

The So-Called Advertisement, Less for Less, is sending the Message that PM is going to be Shut Down and PPL like us being kicked to the Curb.

This is now a VERY Scary and Dark Time PM is facing.

We're facing Uncertainty

Again, No disrespect or Ill-Will Intended, just what PM has done, My Stomach churns and it's a SEVERE Migraine-Making Scary Thought

Slammer111

Add me to the list of shocked/disappointed customers.

I have a list of 20+ people who are ready to jump on the $40 4GB bandwagon if PM were to offer it again (they missed the boat last fall).  Today I look at the website and see this.  If this keeps up, PM will have 20 fewer customers.  A real shame.

PM drew me (and probably thousands of others) in because it was "cheap" and "no frills".  Looks like they've lost their direction.  My fingers are crossed they don't touch those of us who are grandfathered in.  I really enjoy the reliability, coverage, and value of PM.  It would be a real shame to have to jump carriers again, among with all of my referrals.

Need Help? Let's chat.