Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

darkdragon88
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looks like they don't want new customers. I'm sad that I can't recommend PM to anyone. I'm also scared for the potential increase of prices for our current plans now.

@makkahn28 Instead of quoting OP and copying & pasting your post, you can just provide the link to your idea Smiley Happy

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

@Jeremy_M wrote:

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data until July 24th when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 3GB / 30 days

$135

= $45 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3GB at 3G Speed (+3GB Bonus) = 2GB / 30 days

6GB at 3G Speed (+3GB Bonus) = 3GB / 30 days

12GB at 3G Speed (+6GB Bonus) = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time and will end effectively on July 24th 11:59 pm EDT.
  •     The end date communicated is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

Though the Gesture maybe well intended, This current Point of Direction:

Here's the Breakdown:

UNDER 30 Days Term:

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+1GB 4G= $55

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+2GB 4G= $65

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+4GB 4G= $80

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+1GB 4G= $60

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+2GB 4G= $70

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+4GB 4G= $85

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+1GB 4G= $65

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+2GB 4G= $75

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+4GB 4G= $90

UNDER 90 Days Term:

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+3GB 4G= $150

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+6GB 4G= $180

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+12GB 4G= $225

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+3GB 4G= $165

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+6GB 4G= $195

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+12GB 4G= $240

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+3GB 4G= $180

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+3GB 4G= $210

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+12GB 4G= $255

Now, Under 30 Days Term:

3G ONLY:

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+1GB 4G= $47

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+2GB 4G= $52

Unlim Prov-Wide+Global Txt+4GB 4G= $57

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+1GB 4G= $52

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+2GB 4G= $57

Unlim Can-Wide+Global Txt+4GB 4G= $62

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+1GB 4G= $57

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+2GB 4G= $62

Unlim Can-Wide US+Global Txt+4GB 4G= $67

Well, this is very scary, and very troubling, and might require more research, study, development and  comparisons to fully dissect and perhaps, AS Mike Holmes would say, Let's do it Right the 1ST Time

echf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
  • We once believe in Public Mobile's business model and their awesome pricing.
  • We once believe Public Mobile is different than the BIG 3. 
  • We once believe in a fair and transparent pricing for all Canadian. *(no offense Quebec)

Sadly, our hopes are now gone. Canada telecom market had a step back today.

I believe most people here want Public Mobile to grow. We love Public Mobile.

The new pricing might not something PM can control. 

But I still believe:

• This pricing strategy just won't work, it is scaring away customers.
  • This pricing strategy isn't best for Public Mobile's interest. 
  • This pricing strategy will put Public Mobile in a downhill direction

We accept Public Mobile's imperfection like no international roaming because we trusted in Public Mobile. But you can't expect the general public to pay the same price but get less service right?

I hope Public Mobile team can answer some of our concern. Give confident to those who love Public Mobile. Telus managment should consider rethink Public Mobile's position. 

BTW If anyone thinks this post is inappropriate or off-topic, please delete it. 

The way I see things, Here's how I would sum it all up:

IT Belongs, in a MUSEUM

Just saying.

IF PM Were to, Let's say do that 3G thing, Create Zones for them

Everything else, it's the Public's Domain

@NDesai wrote:
@J_L wrote:
That better be megabytes, not megabits.

Nope. Its megabits and download speed of ~0.3MB/s.

If it really were 2.5 MB/s (megabytes per second), I don't think Public would be receiving the backlasth from community users that they are. While people still wouldn't be happy about the increased price of full speed data, the hysteria would most certainly been a lot calmer.

deltatux
@SWM, I think you forgot that Public Mobile in itself is a flanker brand considering that it was meant to be like Chatr where it's the 3rd brand targeting the super low budget segment that Freedom Mobile was & still competing in.

J_L
Great. We actually registered before due to misunderstanding.

@J_L wrote:

Nope. Its megabits and download speed of ~0.3MB/s.

J_L

@panesarg wrote:

Are the 3G speeds going to be HSPA+?

You will stay on LTE but the speed will be throttled at 2.5mbps. 

rob79

Wow, this is CRAZY. The plan I signed up for a month ago (for $111) is now $150. A plan with 2x as much data, at 3G speeds, is $126.

Considering I make do with 1GB data/month, I'm not streaming video or anything like that. Google maps, email, messaging, etc, is what I use my data for. So it is tempting to double that data and go to 3G (since speed has never been an issue for me), it's crazy that the 3G plan is $15 MORE than the same 4G plan was a month ago. Sure, it's 3GB+3GB now, but I'm sure in time it will be 3GB of 3G data for $126, or 3GB of 4G data for $150.

These prices are insane considering how "no frills" PM is. I would never consider switching now, and I will be keeping my ear to the ground looking for another carrier to switch to in the future when PM (inevitably) screws everyone over.

THANKS TELUS.

PhoneSeeker

@nishufan wrote:

PM becomes another Chatr. 

Chatr has unlimited data, something that PM is lacking.

fktw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What the heck, PM?!?  My dad was finally succumbing to the fact that he needs data on his phone plan...was about to switch him from Rogers to PM, but now this.  I haven't posted on the forum for a while but I'm coming out of hiding for this one!  PM, this sucks!

J_L
Just great, my dad's SIM card finally arrived after 6 days, and now this.

nishufan

That's very bad new. The new 3G option replaced the LTE, but the price is same.  PM should either lower the 3G option price or increase the data limit. In this new plan, PM becomes another Chatr. 

Morta9
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Was about to flip my mom to PM, the SIM card arrived today, I login to see the worst promotion you could imagine, lets nearly double the price and try to sell slow 3G as a good thing, how stupid does PM think their potential clients are. I feel betrayed and I look stupid for recommending a rate plane that is now ridiculously overpriced and as slow as paint drying.

Anyone want to buy a SIM card for a company that has completed lost it? Maybe Freedom will give me a credit for it out of pity.

gmd
@kav2001c wrote:

At least 6 times they have overhauled plan offerings (in many cases crippling features, eg International long distance, the $90 1GB plans, the $40 North America plans, the $3 increase to Legacy plans)

Thats what phone companies do

I would add "...in this country".

Look at the offerings elsewhere, even in the US.

https://boutique.orange.fr/mobile/forfait-jet-100go-sim

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans?icid=WMM_TMNG_Q217TMOBIL_IAVJVY4VCEO9162.html

panesarg

Are the 3G speeds going to be HSPA+?

panesarg

WOW! I can't believe this. Absolutely shocked. I used to recommend PM to everyone, but looks that is going to change drastically now. 

gmd

Given that PM SIMs are heading to Wow! Mobile, their plans couldn't be that much cheaper than those of Rogers' equivalent brand, Chatr.

Every generation in technology adds in offerings and cuts prices, except in this country.

Everytime this happened and everytime everyone acts shocked

They went from the original CDMA plans to the Telus CDMA plans

They went from the Telus CDMA plans to the Telus HSPA plans

They went from the HSPA plans to the BETA plans

They went from the BETA plans to the promo plans

They went from old promo plans to new promo plans

They went from new promo plans to 3G plans

At least 6 times they have overhauled plan offerings (in many cases crippling features, eg International long distance, the $90 1GB plans, the $40 North America plans, the $3 increase to Legacy plans)

Thats what phone companies do

Telus though seems to be trying to raise ARPU as Public ate too much of the subscriber base (they also have started blocking the Telus/Koodo loophole plans)

@zmh1175 wrote:

Why the plans are getting worse. What happended to the public mobile.

Slinxci

It ia actually more expensive than before, I am using $120/ 90days, has 6GB/90days. Now the plan is $126/90days, has 3GB+3GB.

gmd

3G speeds, by what standards? CDMA2000 (2.5G) offered over 2 Mb/s 15 years ago. Could we get full HSPA?

Since PM is "prepaid", everything gets slightly slower from calling to texting to data (as it verifies "what's left"). Makes for a very busy KOODO prepaid server... I have had my phone (on mobile data) ask me to log into the PM network yesterday. Any link to the changes happening? Now with "throttling" on the system, will it slow it down for all or just some of us?

Speaking of throttling, Chatr has the mark set 3 Mb/s, and when you reach your limit, it slows your connection down some more (but does not stop it).

tapiocapearl

I absolutely agree with you.  I won't be recommending PM to my friends any more.

Yuri

This is very disappointing. I used to recommend Public Mobile to friends and family. I can't do that anymore; not with this new pricing.

A friend of mine actually said she'll be switching to PM just a few days ago, after I told her how much I was paying for my plan. I hope she managed to do it in time... because if not and she sees the new pricing, she too will be disappointed and think I mislead her.

I hope Public Mobile will reverse course. Offering 3G speeds to those who only want basic connectivity is a good idea, but it needs to be cheaper than the previous LTE plans to make sense. Canada needs more affordable wireless services.

h3ccubu5
This is really disappointing. I was working on getting a few friends signed up- not anymore.
I can't recommend PM with this kind of pricing.

SWM

@stonechucker wrote:

Read the promo announcement gain people.  No one needs to change their current plan.  No one will be changed without prior 30 day notice of *ANY* change, whether it be price increase on your plan, or reduction in service level.  You will be given at least a 30 notice period.

We are aware of that, that doesn't seem to be the issue with most people. People are upset that Public is going in the wrong direction with these new plans. Instead of making things simple, they complicate things with two tiers of plans. They raised prices across the board, and are at levels close to the Big 3 flanker brands, without the same level of customer service. It just makes it very hard for current customers to refer people when there isn't really any value proposition anymore.

Need Help? Let's chat.