Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

Read the promo announcement gain people.  No one needs to change their current plan.  No one will be changed without prior 30 day notice of *ANY* change, whether it be price increase on your plan, or reduction in service level.  You will be given at least a 30 notice period.

@CSPB Your plan doesn't need to change until you decide it does.  *IF* Public Mobile gives us notice of increased pricing, that is the time to change.

sure, do your research now so you are prepared, but no one needs to change now.

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is getting close to Big 3 rates but on 3G

luckycharm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@will13am wrote:

@jairolevi wrote:

I feel the same, 

I switched from Wind ( Freedom Mobile ) and Tbaytel because I HATE low speeds.

And now PM is offering low speeds??? WTH?  I feel PM just lost the competitive advantage it had over other companies...

Good thing I locked the fall promo 4gb / $40 bucks...

I would not be so complacent my friend.  We are a mere 30 days notice away from getting this price increase.  Be afraid.

This is my worry as well! I too signed up on the fall promo and have autopay on. I don't want to find out the hard way that my plan will auto-renew at a significantly higher price. I'm also suspicious that when you log into your account, it only shows the details of what your plan costs and how much data you get, but it DOESN'T display the speed information. So I signed up during the fall promo for $40 for 4gb/mo 4G LTE.... is that what I'm still going to get considering my account page doesn't say one way or the other?

I came over from Fido and I have ZERO problems going back even if I do end up paying a bit more. I'll get actual customer service and free spotify. 

CSPB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
5 dollars less for slower speeds. Cool if you want it.
20 dollars more for my current plan. Screw that. Seeking alternate providers now.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@CalvinW, you must remember he is just an employee of PM.  @Jeremy_M, probably doesn't set rate plans.  We can disagree and complain about the pricing and new plans but we don't have any right to talk about how employees of a company present it (goes for @CS_Agent  as well).  This is their job.  Would you have a job if you don't support your employer, or were an assest for them?  I don't think so 

I thnk that the most community users here know to complain about the decisions and plan changes, and while upset about those changes, aren't upset at the actual people behind the company.

@will13am wrote:

@jairolevi wrote:

I feel the same, 

I switched from Wind ( Freedom Mobile ) and Tbaytel because I HATE low speeds.

And now PM is offering low speeds??? WTH?  I feel PM just lost the competitive advantage it had over other companies...

Good thing I locked the fall promo 4gb / $40 bucks...

I would not be so complacent my friend.  We are a mere 30 days notice away from getting this price increase.  Be afraid.

That is true.  But to be fair, a price increase is never more than 30 days notice away no matter who you subscribe to.

Public Mobile and Telus knnows what they are doing.  There are reasons for these changes, although customers aren't going to like them.  I just hope that the company doesn't expect customers to buy into the spin/koolaid.  I love to bring this one up but if anyone remembers Bell Mobility (kav, I know you remember this), they actually issued advertising on a pamphlet that told customers that higher prices was a good thing and said that it was "one more reason to choose Bell".  Let's just say customers had a good laugh at that.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

interested to see how many ppl would jump at this

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

From what I've read here, and in other threads, these new plans have been almost universally trashed by Community users.  I fully understand that a business is free do do what they wish and long-thought out decision making processs is gone through, but if this is the direction that Public Mobile is going, I see the company really as no different than everyone else.  It's a copy of Chatr but lacking the different customer service options.   To be fair, I'm sure that these offers and plans are constantly re-evaluated, but I can't see this change making many potential customers happy, and I also believe that existing customers will find the direction disturbing.  But, time will tell -let's see what Public Mobile makes of it.

Disturbing is an under statement.  We are all on month to month, 90 day to 90 day terms.  Anything can happen in renewal time.  We were comforted by knowing the regular price plans were descent.  Now that there's a huge gap to our grandfathered plans, there is cause for concern.  I have an exit strategy in mind and it will be deployed on any signs of provocation.

All these new plans did is make it so that new customers won't sign up (in any substantial amount) and upset existing customers. You say you have an exist stretegy if you are provoked.  These changes have made me start looking around.  The dissappointing part is that eveything is the same no matter who you go with.  I remember when Rogers bought out Fido and there was a theory going around (whether warranted or not) that City Fido customers were be purposedly messed around with when it came to network relability.

Hobahn

I have to say this is incredibly disappointing. 

I'm currently a Freedom Mobile customer and was going to switch during the promo that was running. I was unfortunately unable to do it during the time of the promotion, but I was ok with getting the 6GB/90 days.

I went to activate my SIM today and found out I'd be paying WAY more than I would have when I originally wanted to port over.

Looks like I'll be sticking with Freedom for now, I guess. I was really excited to join Public but not with prices like this. 😞

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Just don't expect many new customers. I guess they're happy with the number of customers they have.

I am thinking that this could possibily be deliberate. 

@CalvinW, you must remember he is just an employee of PM.  @Jeremy_M, probably doesn't set rate plans.  We can disagree and complain about the pricing and new plans but we don't have any right to talk about how employees of a company present it (goes for @CS_Agent  as well).  This is their job.  Would you have a job if you don't support your employer, or were an assest for them?  I don't think so 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@homer wrote:

I can see the backlash coming... 

It's already happened, although I'm sure it will eventually die down.  Existing customers are fine (for now), but I can't see many reason for new customers to sign up.  The plans are the same as the competition with less customer support options, no retail stores, etc.  Where are those extra costs savings going to go?

@Mana wrote:

hmmm, I wonder who is ready to jump on these great deals and awesome 3G speed for this pricing!

sarcasm, correct?

carissa

New plans are horrendous! What is PM thinking? Where is the value now?

I feel like an idiot for recommending this company now!

Perhaps, they just do not want any new customers.

CalvinW
Absolute trash. And Jeremy says it like its a good thing.

And soon all phone unlocked by default 🙂

@SD08 @ShawnC13 I agree with both statements. I thought to myself at lunch: What if this is just a joke, and the PM staff are collecting information on all the negative reviews about plan prices, to show how bad prices in Canada really are.... but i doubt thats the case. I am too worried about the potential increase in price the fall promo plan.

I will soon be approaching 1 year in November, but if my plan increases drastically. Then I'll be forced to leave. But this is yet another case where Canada does need a 4th player, and that has to be Freedom. We have had our fun bashing freedom, but a 4th player will somewhat cause prices to fall (not by much I bet)

Benefits of a BYOP provider. Most of us have unlocked phones, just as easy to leave. Just a matter of when in your cycle you decide to do so (and take somewhat of a loss)

MLPhoto

2 comments:

1: 3G is plain garbage

2: 4G prices are way higher then the previous pricing

So overall this change sucks...

I had over 8 referral in last year and I can assure you that I will not be able to sell this service to anyone I know with these prices

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13

Well said.  I am finding it hard to see any selling points now for recommending PM to people.  The PM advantage is no longer there.  I know there were never any guarantees, but for the first time since I joined PM, I feel as if my promo plan from Fall 2016 is now at increased risk of a price hike, notwithstanding PM's history of holding prices for grandfathered packages.  It seems like there's been a change in direction, and not for the better.  That unsettling feeling you get when you realize that something important just happened and things won't be the same from now on - I'm getting that now.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Why the plans are getting worse. What happended to the public mobile.

SWM

@jpar wrote:

Yeah for sure, PM's community members are its best ambassadors so hopefully they do not alienate us with loss of grandfathered plans..

Even if it doesn't result in the loss of grandfathered plans, it still makes it very hard for current customers to refer people to use Public.

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah for sure, PM's community members are its best ambassadors so hopefully they do not alienate us with loss of grandfathered plans..

I have to say that I have defended and promoted PM since my day I joined.  I an many others have been very vocal in defending the customer service model of the forums and asking people to be patient and that they will enjoy the PM experieince once things are cleared up.  I am so glad I have the plan I have but am worried about the future.

Worst part I feel betrayed or I guess it is more used.  We are the face of the company we promote it we assist with it's customer service.  To the people we have recommended the company to I don't know what to say to them.

I recently made a long post about the risks we take when using a low cost provider, well I don't consider the new 4G plans to be low cost.  People will not put up with a closely priced plan to another company that will provide a store to walk into or a number to call.

I am still sticking with PM until it no longer makes financial sense for me but I don't think I can recommend PM to anyone looking for a new provider.

#Less4notreallyLess  #Less4thesame.

I am hoping this is some mid year joke or a bad dream this is not the PM I have defended against criticism and promoted to family and friends for the last 9 months

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Currently refering everyone I know to Videotron's double your data deal, 6GB LTE for 48.95 $ with call center and shops

theoc198

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network.

Wow... You think customers want 3G plans that max out at 2.5 Mbps or in other words 0.3125 MBps while at the same time significantly increasing the cost of LTE plans? 

Why would anyone sign up to Public Mobile anymore? There's no phone support, you have to wait for a sim card in the mail, there are no stores, there's only roaming in the US, Public Mobile doesn't get stuff like WiFi calling or LTE calling, and we were even throttled until recently on the LTE side of the network.

Perhaps Telus felt that Public Mobile grew too much in the fast few quarters? If I wasn't already on the $40 4 gb plan, there's no way I would be looking at Public Mobile right now. Even Wind/Freedom Mobile have LTE at this point. 

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
With zero advertising budget and a pissed off community that doesn't want to refer or advertise to their friends / families it makes me wonder whether whom ever came up with those plans wanted PM to stay or not in the market, because it sounds to me we are all here just because we have a promotion deal that we are all feeling that is threatened now. The moment it gets touched as well, I am sure the community will be empty within weeks. Most if not all of PM members are not loyal to any brands and they are the best at catching deals from all over the country.

ba14ii

if you're coming from fido or thinking of leaving, fido will offer you 40-45$ for 4gb a month, unlimited nation calling and global texting if you dont leave...i'm considering paying 5$ a month more for this 

Edit: I would say its added regardless if you pick talk and text or not, they would just need to use a VoIP app like fongo to make those calls and send texts

smp99

Ligit question here

is the bonus data on 3G plans only available when you include talk & text, or is the bonus data also included on data only plans.

eg on the plan builder, 90 days 12GB+6GB bonus (18GB total) data only for $136 seems to indicate that this would work.

For rural residents without broadband, this may be a short term solution

Need Help? Let's chat.