Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

I was going to order new SIMs to replace the ones I used with the freedom promo (I don't have any left right now), but I'm glad I didn't...
I was also going to buy about $200 in vouchers for each of 3 different accounts, but now I guess I'll just stick to paying the minimum possible every 90 days...

ba14ii
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I personally recently cancelled my contract and switched from fido to pm, getting 3gb unlimited provincial calling and global texting for 111 every 90 days. And I was going to transfer friends and family over here too, but after this pretty dumb and gimmick increase in pricestheyre better off with their own plans

SWM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@will13am wrote:

We should remain vocal and point customers in other directions.  It's the most effective action at the moment.  I really wish this site had a thumbs down button.  That would give us a good count is the level of displeasure.

Just looking at this thread you can get a sense of how the community is reacting to these plans. It really boggles my mind that this pricing strategy was implemented.

@SWM wrote:

Extremely dissapointed with these new plans. As many people have already pointed out, I am not sure where the "value" is. I thought they Public could offer cheaper plans because they didn't have any stores/kisoks, no phone support, etc. Not sure I am liking the direction Public is going and hope @Jeremy_M and the rest of Public rethink this strategy.

We should remain vocal and point customers in other directions.  It's the most effective action at the moment.  I really wish this site had a thumbs down button.  That would give us a good count is the level of displeasure.

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Just don't expect many new customers. I guess they're happy with the number of customers they have.

You mean don't expect any customers.  With zero advertising budget, we are the face of the marketing department.  I will not recommend anything to anyone if I won't considering buying. 

@jairolevi wrote:

I feel the same, 

I switched from Wind ( Freedom Mobile ) and Tbaytel because I HATE low speeds.

And now PM is offering low speeds??? WTH?  I feel PM just lost the competitive advantage it had over other companies...

Good thing I locked the fall promo 4gb / $40 bucks...

I would not be so complacent my friend.  We are a mere 30 days notice away from getting this price increase.  Be afraid.

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
These plans are ridiculous, it masks a major price increase and uses a promo to hide the fact that even the 3G plans after the promo expires is still more expensive than the old LTE plans at $47/month compared to $40/month. So slower speed & costs more?

What's worse is that we don't have access to call centres which also makes this a bad value for those who want to go with Public Mobile. It'll be now harder to recommend & I loved recommending Public Mobile in the past.

@computergeek541 wrote:

From what I've read here, and in other threads, these new plans have been almost universally trashed by Community users.  I fully understand that a business is free do do what they wish and long-thought out decision making processs is gone through, but if this is the direction that Public Mobile is going, I see the company really as no different than everyone else.  It's a copy of Chatr but lacking the different customer service options.   To be fair, I'm sure that these offers and plans are constantly re-evaluated, but I can't see this change making many potential customers happy, and I also believe that existing customers will find the direction disturbing.  But, time will tell -let's see what Public Mobile makes of it.

Disturbing is an under statement.  We are all on month to month, 90 day to 90 day terms.  Anything can happen in renewal time.  We were comforted by knowing the regular price plans were descent.  Now that there's a huge gap to our grandfathered plans, there is cause for concern.  I have an exit strategy in mind and it will be deployed on any signs of provocation.

@user001 wrote:

I have a new Public Mobile sim card and planned on joining, but now the plans don't seem attractive at all. Some people don't need alot of data and prefer value plans, you no longer provide those options.

Take your business to zoomer.  They have a 2 gig, cheap phone, $36 per month deal the ends in July.  Check out the red flag deals forums.  It's heavily discussed there.  Stay loyal to the wallet!

@Anaron wrote:
This is troubling. The prices for 4G LTE plans went up and the bonus data for 3G plans is only available for a limited time.

I'm happy that I was able to lock in the 4GB at 4G LTE plan for $38/month. I just feel bad for new customers.

2GB at 4G LTE is now $60/month when it used to be $40. A $20 price increase is unheard of. It would've been better to keep the old prices and discount by $10/30 days at 3G speeds.

There's no one to feel bad for.  What new customers?  Anyone contemplating becoming a customer will probably be going elsewhere.  

redwheeler

If I make the assumption that the folks at PM aren't grossly incompetent, I worry that this is part of a plan to kill the brand and roll folks over to Koodoo or TELUS. Or, if they want to keep the brand, maybe they want to make it the "3G brand". There's no reason that I can see to sign up with PM if you're looking for 4G unless they are going to be running promos constantly.

At the moment, Public Mobile offers 2GB of 4G LTE for $60 / mo or 4GB of 4G LTE for $75 / mo.

TELUS offers 3GB of 4G LTE for $70 / mo (unlimited local calling vs province wide).

Koodoo offers 3GB of 4G LTE for $65 / mo (unlimited Canada wide vs province wide).

Last week, under the FM promo, Public Mobile offered 4GB of LTE for $40 / mo.

In other words, yesterday PM was offering great value that significantly undercut TELUS and Koodoo. Today, their prices are more or less in line with their mum and sister.

ethos32
Yeah I can get a cheaper plan from Petro Canada mobility . What a mistake on these new plans

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Aren't we all 🙂

texwood

I'm glad I locked in last year's 4/$40 plan. These new offerings seem to be a step back.

SWM

Extremely dissapointed with these new plans. As many people have already pointed out, I am not sure where the "value" is. I thought they Public could offer cheaper plans because they didn't have any stores/kisoks, no phone support, etc. Not sure I am liking the direction Public is going and hope @Jeremy_M and the rest of Public rethink this strategy.

Rockdaddy22
Just don't expect many new customers. I guess they're happy with the number of customers they have.

homer

I can see the backlash coming... 

Rockdaddy22
Very well said 🙂

bryclops

I was thinking yesterday that i would order some sim cards to keep on hand and promote the company to friends that had inadequate plans with their contracts expiring.  Funny how their plans do not look so inadequate to what we are seeing today.  If there is a promotion in the future that makes sense financially sure I'll tell people about it, but right now showing friends and family these prices would not go so well for me.   I've been seeing ads on buses in Toronto, I think the company is best to be no frills with the bare minimum spent on advertisement.  We the community will promote the company for you as we have been.  If you look at the amount of people that signed up for the fall promotion and the Freedom promotion then you know that we are spreading the word for you.   We even reduce PM's costs by helping other members with issues out.

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I feel the same, 

I switched from Wind ( Freedom Mobile ) and Tbaytel because I HATE low speeds.

And now PM is offering low speeds??? WTH?  I feel PM just lost the competitive advantage it had over other companies...

Good thing I locked the fall promo 4gb / $40 bucks...

clogan2

Wow, I'm sad to see that the plans have been gutted...

It's good to know though, I will be sure to hold off on recommending PM to my friends/family until the offerings improve...

This is coming at a time when other carriers are beginning to offer more, it doesn't make much sense to me. You can pay $5 more / month anywhere else and get decent support by calling their customer support line or walking into one of their many locations...

PriMo

What a brual awakening this morning ! 

The LTE plans are horrible (2GB/60 $ come on now!). The 3G plan are almost a copy/paste of Chatr with the obligation to pay 90 days in advance + no call center. Someone needs to go back to the drawing board or simply be released from employement.

You (whoever you are) broke Public Mobile. You !

Going from the $120 Freedom promo to this is a horrible joke. I see the plans are for a limited time. Ya seriously ! Get rid of this throttled data plans ASAP! 

#FreePublic #3Gis2012  #Less4Less4Sure

Rockdaddy22
Maybe 2.5G haha 😂

@Rockdaddy22 lol,, 2G speed?

Rockdaddy22
Not even 3G speeds lol

Mana
Mayor / Maire

hmmm, I wonder who is ready to jump on these great deals and awesome 3G speed for this pricing!

@Anaron wrote:
@PhoneSeeker wrote:

For $65/month (regular price, not a promo), Fido is offering: 

3 GB of LTE data with free spotify, 5 hours of unlimited data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, name/call display, unlimited global video messaging, Fido extended roaming coverage, and voicemail + retail locations + customer service by phone/social media/live chat. 

For $65/month, PM is offering:

2 GB of LTE data, unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text, voicemail, caller display.

In my humble opinion, PM's marketing department needs to go back to the drawing board.

You can also get 3GB LTE data, unlimited local calling, and unlimited nationwide texting with Telus for $70/month. That's one of the Big 3. My goodness.

Sure, it doesn't have Canada-wide calling or global texting but it comes with premium features not offered by Public Mobile. Features like Voice-over-LTE and WiFi calling. And not to mention customer support that isn't limited to "online-only" interactions.

The old 2GB at 4G LTE for $40/month plan was decent. It's just not worth it anymore at $60/month.

With rogers for $75 a month, you get unlimited local calling, unlimited texting, 2GB of data, NHL GameCenterLive, Rogers Roam like home and GamePlus. Add $5 for Canada wide calling

Rockdaddy22
@Samianauman
3G plans aren't bad, but these ones are. It's not even real 3G speeds lol

Rockdaddy22
@Nsk143
Is this your honest opinion?

Rockdaddy22
@nordman
If your already on a plan nothing will change for you. Maybe I misunderstood