Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
But the speeds aren't even real 3G they are throttled to 2.5mbps

@zoomzoom87

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@IWIK
Koodo is for competing with Fido not PM, that seems like the message they've sent clearly with this move.

From what I've read here, and in other threads, these new plans have been almost universally trashed by Community users.  I fully understand that a business is free do do what they wish and long-thought out decision making processs is gone through, but if this is the direction that Public Mobile is going, I see the company really as no different than everyone else.  It's a copy of Chatr but lacking the different customer service options.   To be fair, I'm sure that these offers and plans are constantly re-evaluated, but I can't see this change making many potential customers happy, and I also believe that existing customers will find the direction disturbing.  But, time will tell -let's see what Public Mobile makes of it.

user001
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a new Public Mobile sim card and planned on joining, but now the plans don't seem attractive at all. Some people don't need alot of data and prefer value plans, you no longer provide those options.

Anaron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
@PhoneSeeker wrote:

For $65/month (regular price, not a promo), Fido is offering: 

3 GB of LTE data with free spotify, 5 hours of unlimited data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, name/call display, unlimited global video messaging, Fido extended roaming coverage, and voicemail + retail locations + customer service by phone/social media/live chat. 

For $65/month, PM is offering:

2 GB of LTE data, unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text, voicemail, caller display.

In my humble opinion, PM's marketing department needs to go back to the drawing board.

You can also get 3GB LTE data, unlimited local calling, and unlimited nationwide texting with Telus for $70/month. That's one of the Big 3. My goodness.

Sure, it doesn't have Canada-wide calling or global texting but it comes with premium features not offered by Public Mobile. Features like Voice-over-LTE and WiFi calling. And not to mention customer support that isn't limited to "online-only" interactions.

The old 2GB at 4G LTE for $40/month plan was decent. It's just not worth it anymore at $60/month.

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For $65/month (regular price, not a promo), Fido is offering: 

3 GB of LTE data with free spotify, 5 hours of unlimited data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, name/call display, unlimited global video messaging, Fido extended roaming coverage, and voicemail + retail locations + customer service by phone/social media/live chat. 

For $65/month, PM is offering:

2 GB of LTE data, unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text, voicemail, caller display.

In my humble opinion, PM's marketing department needs to go back to the drawing board.

Anaron
This is troubling. The prices for 4G LTE plans went up and the bonus data for 3G plans is only available for a limited time.

I'm happy that I was able to lock in the 4GB at 4G LTE plan for $38/month. I just feel bad for new customers.

2GB at 4G LTE is now $60/month when it used to be $40. A $20 price increase is unheard of. It would've been better to keep the old prices and discount by $10/30 days at 3G speeds.

It is getting busy here. 🙂   Maybe telus told them the price will go up on Telus side. 🙂

X-Files
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So this means  no more LTE plan promotions or what ? any fall plans for LTE like last year?

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am wrote:

@canucks4life wrote:

@There still needs to be further clarification from PM...will phones still pickup LTE for voice/text and fallback HSPA+ for data or will it simply be a hard cap for data connecting on LTE @ 2.5Mbps?

What are you talking about?  There was never LTE for voice.  Text is not data driven. 

Sorry badly worded correct voice calls will fallback HSPA+

But there is a huge difference when it comes to latency if data is going through HSPA+ vs LTE especially for loading webpages there is another thread below where MK78 makes a compelling point before this one was magically unlocked.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/New-Plans-and-Pricing/td-p/169035/page/...

Edit: 

Think the below just answered my question sounds like data will connect on HSPA+ with a 2.5Mbps cap...yeah I'll pass thanks.

When changing to a Data Plan of a different speed, you may experience a delay of up to 48 hours for the speed change to take effect. For example, if you have a 3G data plan and switch to a 4G LTE data plan, you will continue to receive 3G speeds for up to 48 hours before your new 4G LTE plan takes effect.

RoseY

@zhadj030 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Well, this is definitely a very good way to protect the online portal from being hammered by new activations.  My capability to generate referrals just came to a screeching halt.  My spidey sense say the next step will be to incorporate zones ala chatr. 

@will13am

And I was thinking, how would they give some time for the mods to relax a bit and clear the backlog, I will have to admit, upsetting the whole community and raising prices 50% was not event near my nightmares,

Sorry to say, this price increase will be career limiting for the folks in the back office.  Once any remaining backlog is dealt with, they will virtually have little to do except play solitaire going forward.  I appreciate no carrier runs as a charity, but this sudden price increase is crazy.  Right now, zoomer is still offering a 2 gig LTE plan for $36 with hardware until the end of July.  Anyone needing a plan should take their business elsewhere. 

@canucks4life wrote:

@There still needs to be further clarification from PM...will phones still pickup LTE for voice/text and fallback HSPA+ for data or will it simply be a hard cap for data connecting on LTE @ 2.5Mbps?

What are you talking about?  There was never LTE for voice.  Text is not data driven. 

canucks4life

There still needs to be further clarification from PM...will phones still pickup LTE for voice/text and fallback HSPA+ for data or will it simply be a hard cap for data connecting on LTE @ 2.5Mbps?

@will13am wrote:

Well, this is definitely a very good way to protect the online portal from being hammered by new activations.  My capability to generate referrals just came to a screeching halt.  My spidey sense say the next step will be to incorporate zones ala chatr. 

@will13am

And I was thinking, how would they give some time for the mods to relax a bit and clear the backlog, I will have to admit, upsetting the whole community and raising prices 50% was not event near my nightmares,

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

zoomzoom87
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The 18gb, 3g plan isn't that bad at all. 

@kav2001c, I agree.

@Jeremy_M, I must admit, having a 2 Tier System

One for 3G

Other for 4G

I think PM should perhaps NOT do that 2 Tier system

OR, Have the 3G in a Separate area, W. it's Own Separate Fees and such.

The 4G diagram is great as it was BEFORE these changes or recent.

PM should Reconsider this, I think PPL Might not be as forgiving

IF PM had more Options for the 4G, LIKE Higher Data Plans at more Competitive pricing, like fairly cheap, Then perhaps the 3G Plan offerings might NOT need to be necessary

IWIK
If PM just HAS to have 3G incorporated somewhere make cheaper 3G data addons

IWIK
The other issue, which I know PM can't control, but should be aware of is every other company offers unadvertised promotions, like my wife has 5GB of 4G LTE data, Canada wide calling, and better roaming options, Fido dollars, call center, physical stores, for $60 with Fido because she called and they gave it to her. Now PM can't compete at all with that.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It really does feel like a masive regression in terms of pricing and data speeds with the new cost structure - it appears the PM is positioning itself to be the 'Telus version of Chatr' when you compare pricing.  The PM brand has changed during today and not for the better, in my opinion.  

I agree with what many have already said, moving to offer 3G is regressive instead of the progressive model that PM offered this morning (Let alone offering 3G plans for more $$ than you offered LTE 12 hours ago).  This price structure is moving a lot of loyal PM'ers to not bother referring anyone to the brand because there is no incentive for new customers to come here - especially if there is no one to call if issues arise.

This leaves the Canadian wireless landscape with only one real and viable low-cost carrier - Freedom Mobile.  And once they have their 700 Mhz spectrum up and running, it will drastically make them real contender against the big 3.  PM-  you've left a bad taste in our mouths after today.

Wonder_why

OMG PM offering 3G, FM don't even offer 3G anymore, 3G the smartphone last 12 hours, if 4G LTE for this price, I am sure lots peeps will jumping on the bandwagon.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

:((

what incentive does this pricing give a new customer to switch to PM or to select PM over the competiton???

IWIK
Also where exactly are they getting the information "what our customers want" ? Is there surveys going around I don't know about?

What PM should do?

Like Cooking, when something went wrong, Refire with new ingredients.

So, The current Plans as is, Toss them, and start afresh

IWIK
My 2 cents match almost everyone else's.
This is: 1, absolutely working backwards offering 3G only plans
2, the 3G plans seem to be the price of the old 4G LTE plans
3, adding a HUGE amount of complexity to selecting a plan without really offering any savings. Add one 3G 1GB option if you must, but come on.
4, where did my beloved cheap PM go?? These prices are getting into big three BYOD territory

I know you guys are dying to close this thread so get to it haha

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
While what @srlawren seems to explain the sudden change of prices by reminding us that now the "LTE throttle" has stopped, Telus is really punishing users here for accessing full speed data. We might expect a raise in prices but a direct 50% in one night sounds more like PM is starting to give a full complete service including call center , more support online instead of limiting it to just the community now , the same community that is shocked with such prices . Now I am wondering how long will it be until our prices get raised as well. ?. I believe that PM could have done way better then this in a softer way

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@nordmann

The new prices does not affect existing clients

nordmann
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I visited PM to copy the URL and send it over to a friend, was shocked by seeing these ridiculous prices! Everyone is trying to improve and you guys are working backward, from LTE to 3G?

I pay 30 bucks for 1GB now, but must pay 40 from next month for 3G.

Should start searching for a better deal.  😕 

Smiley Frustrated

Need Help? Let's chat.