cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Re: Effective February 15th, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

@ottawa, the fact that Public Mobile doesn't include 'local calls' in the basic phone blan is rediculous, especially for htose who live in communities very close to (or even stradle) provincial borders.

This is a standard practice in landlines... it should be continued in cellular service.

claude1960
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Effective February 15th, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

@kav2001c

Thank you

That's exactly what I'm gonna do early febuary

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

miscolcic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The same is happening to me

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Alrady Bravo'd that one 🙂  Thanks @kav2001c

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawren month to month is still a contract (hence the credit check)

On postpaid they are required to give notice (30 days) for price increases and can not make fundemental changes to your plan 

On Public no such restrictions (eg they wake up tomorrow and tell us all Public is now a talk & text only carrier! Cat Surprised )

Unlikely in the extreme Cat LOL but just for clarity of points

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

That actually is one of the advantages of going postpaid on Koodo

@kav2001c my understanding was that your plan is only price protected on post-paid when you are in a contract.  I can't say for sure but assumed these Koodo deals would be month-to-month?

It is actually a curious question. If your plan renewal date is tomorrow, and PM announces a change

(e.g. price increase) to your current plan today, what are your options, and is this all legit and kosher

according to the Wireless Code?

Or do they have to announce any change earlier (i.e 30 or x days before)? On one hand, PM is surely prepaid formally, 

on the other hand, autopay option gives it a flair of postpaid. If they automatically charge ur  credit card,

there sure should be some  advance warning for a price change?

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@MVP Public (and most prepay carriers) give 30 days as per internal policies

hey do not want to alienate the install base

The reason it is not covered by Wireless Code is because you PREPAY for service

Think about it

On Postpaid, you use the service THEN they send you a bill. Now imagine if that bill is higher than what you expected. Hence legal requirement of 30 day notice.

On Prepay you have no contract. Your renewal date is next week. Public raises rates.

Up to you if you want to pay or not.

MVP

@kav2001c wrote:

Think about it

On Postpaid, you use the service THEN they send you a bill. Now imagine if that bill is higher than what you expected. Hence legal requirement of 30 day notice.

On Prepay you have no contract. Your renewal date is next week. Public raises rates.

Everything is simple and unambiguous if there is no AUTOpay involved.

You log in to your account, review what you owe and chose whether to pay or not.

With autopay, you are not (but  should be ) also provided with automatic possibility to review what you are gonna pay.

Theoretically, PM can increase the plan price 10-fold any day, and charge you4 credit csrd without notifying you.

Somehow this feels wrong to me... ando contrary to the spirit of wireless code.

And to the common sense. When you enrolled your credit card, you agreed to pay the curent price, not a possible increased price.

There should be some advance notification mechanism, which should allow you to chose whether to pay or to to go elsewhere?

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@MVP autopay is irrelevant (many prepay services have similar mechanisms where you get rewards for autopay, Chatr, Lucky, 7-11 etc)

I know it "feels" wrong which is why most carriers have more generous terms (try to make users happy right)

alanbrenan

@MVP wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawren month to month is still a contract (hence the credit check)

On postpaid they are required to give notice (30 days) for price increases and can not make fundemental changes to your plan 

On Public no such restrictions (eg they wake up tomorrow and tell us all Public is now a talk & text only carrier! Cat Surprised )

Unlikely in the extreme Cat LOL but just for clarity of points

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

That actually is one of the advantages of going postpaid on Koodo

@kav2001c my understanding was that your plan is only price protected on post-paid when you are in a contract.  I can't say for sure but assumed these Koodo deals would be month-to-month?

It is actually a curious question. If your plan renewal date is tomorrow, and PM announces a change

(e.g. price increase) to your current plan today, what are your options, and is this all legit and kosher

according to the Wireless Code?

Or do they have to announce any change earlier (i.e 30 or x days before)? On one hand, PM is surely prepaid formally, 

on the other hand, autopay option gives it a flair of postpaid. If they automatically charge ur  credit card,

there sure should be some  advance warning for a price change?

@MVP wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

Think about it

Everything is simple and unambiguous if there is no AUTOpay involved.

You log in to your account, review what you owe and chose whether to pay or not.

With autopay, you are not (but  should be ) also provided with automatic possibility to review what you are gonna pay.

Theoretically, PM can increase the plan price 10-fold any day, and charge you4 credit csrd without notifying you.

Somehow this feels wrong to me... ando contrary to the spirit of wireless code.

And to the common sense. When you enrolled your credit card, you agreed to pay the curent price, not a possible increased price.

There should be some advance notification mechanism, which should allow you to chose whether to pay or to to go elsewhere?

I understand your cautions about the Wireless Code not protecting you, but judging on what I've seen from Public Mobile just because they could do it doesn't mean they ever will. They've given appropriate notice for all changes to people's plans as a courtesy and so they don't overburden the staff team with the amount of complaints.

You signing up to Autopay doesn't constitute a change of how the service is provided. It remains prepaid because a day before your auto renewal date you can check the www.publicmobile.ca/plans for any changes for yourself and stop your auto renewal. This option may not be available for postpaid plans and as such is controlled by the Wireless Code. See this excerpt from the Terms of Service:

Need Help? Let's chat.