Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective April 1, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Public Mobile is continuing our evolution to an online-only brand with the goal to provide customers more choice in a clear and uncomplicated way.  Along this journey, we are making some changes. On April 1, 2017, all Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans will increase by $3 per month.

If you are not on a Legacy rate plan this increase does not apply to you.

You are considered a Legacy/ Pioneer customer if you are currently on one of the following rate plans that was available prior to January 27, 2015:

• $19 Province-Wide Talk
  • $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

To learn more, click here.

Thanks,

Public Mobile Community team

251 REPLIES 251

@zmh1175 wrote:

Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans are soooooo bad. So ppl still keep those suck plans?

I'm sorry, but why are we using such language as a 'suck' plan?

Whether the plan is good for you or not, someone or many someones, do like their plan, and may not have a reason to change.  My dad just cancelled hits mobile data on his smart phone, and only uses WiFi for it.  He loves it, and it costs him less to continue using his device.

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans are soooooo bad. So ppl still keep those suck plans?

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for the analysis @SD08 - made it easier to understand the price differences. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Monthly price comparison in brackets include updated pricing using current 90-day plan rates:
$19 Province-Wide Talk ($22 legacy vs. $25.33 in-market)
$25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text ($28 vs. $40.33)
$40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data ($43 vs. $42)
$45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data ($48 vs. $47)
$60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data ($63 vs. $50)

@SD08  great breakdown, and for those on Legacy plans remember with the pricing up above that is a 90 day plan and you would be now eligible for rewards.  So with you being a legacy customer you could take an additional $2 Loyalty reward (atleast) off of the price and setup autopay and there is another $2.  So the only deal really worth staying on as a legacy plan would be the $25/$28

@ShawnC13

That's a good point about the loyalty and autopay discounts. When I think about it, even the $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text plan would not be worth staying on with PM, because they would only be getting that rate if they transferred to Koodo.  Why stay with PM at $28 if you can go to Koodo for $25 with live support, right?  While the transfer offer is in play, there really is no sense for any legacy customers to stay on their current plan at PM.  This transfer offer (carrot), along with the price hike (stick) is the real kicker (no pun intended).

The only way it makes sense to hold onto an old plan is if you don't want/need data

Otherwise inmarket plans are better anyways

I think this is more about shutting down the Public call centre than anything else

And there is still the Koodo migration offer out there

Monthly price comparison in brackets include updated pricing using current 90-day plan rates:

@SD08  great breakdown, and for those on Legacy plans remember with the pricing up above that is a 90 day plan and you would be now eligible for rewards.  So with you being a legacy customer you could take an additional $2 Loyalty reward (atleast) off of the price and setup autopay and there is another $2.  So the only deal really worth staying on as a legacy plan would be the $25/$28

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@swz5005 wrote:

Some how I see some people are going to be un-happy, but it make sense as company need to adjust rate due to inflation and other stuff....

This is not so much about inflation as it is about encouraging legacy/pioneer
customers to migrate to an in-market plan so they will no longer have access to the call center available only to those customers. When enough customers have migrated, then the call center will be eliminated and PM will truly be an online support only carrier.

I see that at least the first two of the legacy plans have a way to go before the equivalent in-market plans are competitive enough to be enticing, considering the loss of access to live support. Customers on the last plan on that list should immediately switch if they rarely use support, as the savings would already be substantial ($13/mth or $156/yr).

EDIT:  However, as @CaNuCk07 mentioned, customers are also being offered the chance to move to a sister company on the same plan, so that along with this price increase might be enough encouragement to move a lot or even most of them.

@Brooke_C  thanks for this announcement.  For those on Legacy/Pioneer plans might be a really good time to look at the Koodo offer to keep your pricing and still maintain your phone/kiosk support.  Still amazing pricing on those plans!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@swz5005  Some people might be unhappy but they should keep in mind the big 3 do this stuff all the time, for much more than $3, and more over they don't offer an opprotunity to keep the plan with a sister company.  So although might cause a little hassle, still pretty good deal.

swz5005
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Some how I see some people are going to be un-happy, but it make sense as company need to adjust rate due to inflation and other stuff....

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is cool and all, but when are the next promos coming?

That will definitely keep them staying with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.