Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective April 1, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Public Mobile is continuing our evolution to an online-only brand with the goal to provide customers more choice in a clear and uncomplicated way.  Along this journey, we are making some changes. On April 1, 2017, all Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans will increase by $3 per month.

If you are not on a Legacy rate plan this increase does not apply to you.

You are considered a Legacy/ Pioneer customer if you are currently on one of the following rate plans that was available prior to January 27, 2015:

• $19 Province-Wide Talk
  • $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

To learn more, click here.

Thanks,

Public Mobile Community team

251 REPLIES 251

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ottawa

More info on loyalty rewards:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164

Your date of joining PM is used to determine your loyalty reward. This date counts even if you were on the legacy plan up to now.  Looks like you'll be starting at $2 if your join date is in 2014.

However, there is an additional wrinkle for what you're planning to do while you're away. According to the loyalty rewards conditions listed, (quoting) "You cannot be in suspend and / or expired status for more than 60 days during the year in order to qualify for the Loyalty Reward."

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks, I didn't know that. Do I start at $2? I guess if the Legacy plans were discontinued in Jan 2015 I must have signed up in Dec 2014 (my Telus contract was Oct 2011-2014 and I ported to voip.ms then later to PM).

My challenge with the 90-day plans is that I get great flexibility from not paying for 85 days at a time :). Last year at the time of the big promo plan, I would have had to switch to 90-day cycles about 20 days before going away. So I'd potentially have been paying for the first 70 days of my absence instead of 10 days. Added to the lack of Ottawa-Montreal calling, it could easily have cost more than my current plan, on an annual basis.

I love the flexibility of just not paying (I never give out my actual cell number), in the same way I love the flexibility of $10 preloaded SIMs with a different number each month, when I'm in the US. 🙂

I'll have to dig more into those loyalty benefits.

=aw

SD08

@ottawa

Keep in mind that if you were to switch from $40 T&T&1GB to PM's current equivalent plan, your loyalty reward would increase each year the longer you stay, up to $5 per month maximum.

Also, if you were away, you can let your plan lapse by turning off autopay, and can then wait up to 89 days after expiry before you had to reactivate to keep the same number and plan.

ottawa

I'm hoping to understand a few things about the increase (and more importantly, the offer to switch to Koodo). I couldn't find a current useful thread regarding the latter, but if there is one please let me know as the two seem to go hand-in-hand. I'm not in PM coverage territory right now so I haven't received any announcement.

I understand my $40 (T&T&1GB) goes to $43 and my friends' $25 (T&T) goes to $28. Am I right that there are 3 options (from the Telus Empire): (a) accept the $3 increase, keep balance and Boosters and everything's the same, or (b) switch to a current plan which will be a lot more expensive for the $25s but only slightly more for the $40 [or cheaper if on 90-day cycle], or (c) accept the Koodo offer? Of course there's also (d) port out somewhere else, but I'm ignoring that for now.

A friend (on PM's $25/mo talk&text) told me she got a text (and now a phone call) to go to her local Koodo. The text includes this, "...switch to Koodo on the exact same plan you're on right now. Plus, we'll pay the cost of your rate plan for 1 month...". I inferred it was Koodo Prepaid but it sounds like Postpaid? It seemed like a no-brainer but I'm not sure it is.

The text implies it's a straight swap and keeps the call centre, which seems unlikely on the face of it, but reading this thread it seems there are additional charges (such as a 46c/mo 911 charge), expensive charges for using the Koodo call centre (enough to make it effectively a self-serve system), and it's POSTPAID(!?) so no Boosters? Plus any Boosters get dropped when you move over (one $25 friend doesn't have one, but the other has most of a 1GB Data Booster).

Is the Koodo offer actually spelled out anywhere? If a $25 T&T customer takes the offer, do they still get unlimited talk & text? Presumably there's no chance of data overage (since no data) but there's also no Booster, right? If there's no Booster with Koodo, the $25 T&T&B customer has to pay for a data plan and the risk of overages? I'm trying to figure out what each of them (and I) give up and gain by switching to Koodo.

For me on $40 T&T&1GB, I think that:

• sticking will cost $43,
  • moving to the equivalent 30-day plan will cost $43/mo ($47-$2-$2)?,
  • moving to the equivalent 90-day plan will cost $38/mo ($42-$2-$2)? but with a lack of flexibility when I'm away that would end up costing more per year (I did this math with the promo plan last fall and concluded my annual cost would be higher).
  • moving to Koodo will cost $40 for I-have-no-idea-what-features

Do I have the numbers and options right? I feel very uncomfortable recommending my $25 friend (the one with no Data Booster) move to Koodo without knowing what they're actually offering. For the $25 friend with a Data Booster it seems like a no-brainer to suck up the $3, but I'm not certain about that.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide! And as I said, if there's a thread where the Koodo options are discussed, I'm happy to move there for that.

=aw

imm1304

Hey @vonniechan,

No you will not be able to carry over any unused data or long distance minutes that are left ununsed in your PM account when you switch to Koodo.

You do get a free month of service if you switch and your balance under "Available funds" category will be transferred upto $300 max.  

ottawa

@vonniechan wrote:

Does anybody know we if would be able to carry-over any these unused data usage balance from PM to Koodo if we choose to switch?

I just read all 16pp of this thread :0 so I can say it's answered in there somewhere that _balances_ (money) carry over, but Boosters don't.

=aw

vonniechan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, my plan doesn`t include data but I received the "Bonus Boster 500 MB" from Public Mobile and still have unused data usage remanining. Does anybody know we if would be able to carry-over any these unused data usage balance from PM to Koodo if we choose to switch? Thank you!

Balanceman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lubmar wrote:

i am on the old $40, and got the lovely massage, but :

i can not change the plan online - is this a temporary glitch ? (i am trying for a few days now)

i need to change it before 7th - is the system going to be fix soon ?

if i change before 7th do i loose the money/service and start from begining at the time i make change ?

are those changes free or there is a fee for it ?

Hey it seems that you may have to go into a store to take advantage of the plans.  As far as I know, Koodo is one of the subsidiaries of Telus (similar to Public Mobile).  There are some instructions in the original post; a summary is below:

To get this offer, follow these easy steps:

• Figure out which Koodo store is closest to you - You can find this information in the text message you received from us or by checking here.
  • Before leaving, make sure to bring these 4 things:

• Your phone
    • 2 pieces of valid ID including 1 piece of photo ID for verification
    • Your Public Mobile account number
    • Your promo code in the text message you received from us

• Once you get to the store, you’ll need to show the Koodo rep your promotional text message, which will contain a promo code. The rep will then be able to help you switch.

@lubmar I do not know if it was policy change or not but all old plans can no longer do online price plan changes. This issue popped up during the 12GB promo as well.

You need to call in to change plan

(or PM a mod I am sure they can do it too)

lubmar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i am on the old $40, and got the lovely massage, but :

i can not change the plan online - is this a temporary glitch ? (i am trying for a few days now)

i need to change it before 7th - is the system going to be fix soon ?

if i change before 7th do i loose the money/service and start from begining at the time i make change ?

are those changes free or there is a fee for it ?

SD08

@zmh1175 wrote:

I dont know why ppl still keep the old plans. New plans are soo good even the 38 dollars 2GB one..

The newer plans focus on more data, but some people don't use data.  They only need talk & text, at a substantially lower price than the current plans, especially the legacy $25 Canada-wide talk & text plan.

zmh1175

I dont know why ppl still keep the old plans. New plans are soo good even the 38 dollars 2GB one..

Xinli
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

me too! And, I just bought 1 G data. 😞

publicman

@humonculi  You are a lucky man if you can add as many lines as you want.

Maybe you can send/transfer a few lines my way (smile...).  If I would have such a deal I would definitely get at least 3 cell-lines.

humonculi

@publicman wrote:

@Shutdown  It is Videotron in Quebec.

@humonculi  OK.    But why keep $25 (call & text only) plan at PM (you said you now switched to Koodo), when the other vendor gives you 6GB data & new phone each 2yrs for $40?

It makes no sense to stay with PM.

Unless you cannot get add'l lines with the other vendor, because they won't let you add any lines for the same deal/price-point...

going to give that plan to someone like a friend. I can add as many lines as I want to my account

nishufan

That's not a good news for Legacy/pioneer rate plan customers. They may think moving to new plan.

publicman

@Shutdown  It is Videotron in Quebec.

@humonculi  OK.    But why keep $25 (call & text only) plan at PM (you said you now switched to Koodo), when the other vendor gives you 6GB data & new phone each 2yrs for $40?

It makes no sense to stay with PM.

Unless you cannot get add'l lines with the other vendor, because they won't let you add any lines for the same deal/price-point...

humonculi

keeping both lines

Shutdown

It was probably freedom mobile.

publicman

@humonculi I am puzzled.

On Tuesday 21-feb you said you were switching to another vendor for the following deal:  unlimited canada/ us calling, unlimited texts, 6gb of data = $40.  And you would get a new phone every 2 years.

Now you are saying that you're staying with PM and switching to Koodo.

What happened?

devouges

I usually biy 1gig data for 30$ and it lasts 8-12 months.  Cannot do that with koodo.

Rambo

You should've stayed with PM Smiley LOL

Thanks for being the Guinea Pig and trying out the Koodo switch

Cheers! 

humonculi

@Rambo wrote:

Telus thanks you for the $0.46 Smiley Very Happy

Besides, now you can Call 911 if you have an Emergency Smiley LOL

I know it seem's simple, but that's how it starts. 

Besides we we're promised we would pay the same price for the same plan.

Same plan = false we lose the abilité to send photo/video texts without being affraid of using data and being charged

Same price= no since they are already charging us 0.46 more.

Rambo

Telus thanks you for the $0.46 Smiley Very Happy

Besides, now you can Call 911 if you have an Emergency Smiley LOL

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@humonculi wrote:

@TheOldVR wrote:

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

@classleg  do you really believe, or anyone else for that matter, that PM/ Koodo would have done this without confirming with whatever legal department they have that this was above board?

Of course they did, and i'm sure whatever consumer agency or watchdog or whatever could nt be bothered.  The daily "evil" perpetrated by rogers and bell would far outweigh a VERY reasonable offer.

You are being given the option to stay on the same network, with the same Parent company, with absolutely no additional cost to you, plus one month of free service????

^^ Have to agree....

You guys are probably right. It's not like service providers do anything wrong ..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-data-charges-cellphone-plan-1.3966730

https://www.biv.com/article/2013/6/bell-sues-telus-for-564176-over-911-access-fees/

Dude - I get it... you're not happy, didn't intent to make it worse.

Just sharing our thoughts, you do as you wish mate.

Just love and peace to share on these forums!!

BTW - I didnt' say that the Telcos did everything (or much) right for customers... it's a monopoly that it appears, can't be broken.

Peace!

humonculi

@TheOldVR wrote:

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

@classleg  do you really believe, or anyone else for that matter, that PM/ Koodo would have done this without confirming with whatever legal department they have that this was above board?

Of course they did, and i'm sure whatever consumer agency or watchdog or whatever could nt be bothered.  The daily "evil" perpetrated by rogers and bell would far outweigh a VERY reasonable offer.

You are being given the option to stay on the same network, with the same Parent company, with absolutely no additional cost to you, plus one month of free service????

^^ Have to agree....

You guys are probably right. It's not like service providers do anything wrong ..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-data-charges-cellphone-plan-1.3966730

https://www.biv.com/article/2013/6/bell-sues-telus-for-564176-over-911-access-fees/

humonculi

I've switched to Koodo and the CRTC now has received my complaint. 

Once you switch to Koodo the price does increase. For exemple, I used to pay 25, now I'm paying 25.46 (0.46 is the 911 fee that was included in the PM plan) 

You will no longer be able to send photo/video text and block data ( be ready for data charges) They do have 2 options. 1- you can either block all data including photo/video texts 

or 2- You can pay an extra 2$ a month to be able to block data but maintaint the option of sending these kinds of texts.

Don't switch to koodo unless you're ready to pay for every little thing.

TheOldVR

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

^^ Have to agree....

Of course they did, and i'm sure whatever consumer agency or watchdog or whatever could nt be bothered.  The daily "evil" perpetrated by rogers and bell would far outweigh a VERY reasonable offer made to you by PM.

Costs of business and forward progress are a necessity in life, and PM's model is call center free, therefore it would be a natural progression to slowly work to eliminate the coistly call centers.

TheOldVR

Yikes - this thread has really gone sideways.

Smiley Frustrated

It appears that I am in the minority... but I don't think PM is off-side here.

With that said, I understand that many peeps are upset....  hope you are all able get to a happier place regarding these changes.

Good Luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.