Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing wireless different has its ups and downs

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Public Mobile Community,

It is almost 3 years ago to the day when I first walked into the Public Mobile office tasked with finding a way to turn the Public Mobile business around.  At the time, it had a limited network with a very expensive support structure (stores and a full-service call centre) that made it an unprofitable business.

So I rolled up my sleeves and along with the team, we began our journey to redefine how wireless service was delivered to Canadians.  Being blessed with Canada’s largest 4G LTE network, we wanted to find a way to give customers access to a great network while simultaneously benefitting from great pricing.  To do this, we needed to turn those expensive support costs upside down.

This is where doing wireless differently was born.  A wireless provider without a call centre - instead, an online community to support its customers.  No phones and phone discounts because, well, phones are really expensive.  No stores because as you might have guessed by now - they’re crazy expensive too.

I sat in countless focus groups and was told over and over again that we were crazy.  They would say things like “you can’t have a service without a call centre”, “you can’t be a wireless provider without selling phones”, “you have to have a store for me to go to”, and my personal favourite “I would never trust an online-only wireless provider.”

I could go on and on as this has been a very long journey to get us to where we are now, but instead I’d like to ask you for your continued trust and support as we work through some of the issues we are experiencing today.

We know some of you have been waiting a long time to hear back from us on various issues including activation/porting failures, future dated rate plan changes, and SIM delivery delays.  The truth is we have been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of activity the current promo has generated and we are doing everything we can to fix things.  I can ensure you that we have moved all our available resources to assisting you.

Here are some of the things we are seeing and some solutions and commitments from us:

For activation and porting failures:

• It is clear to us we will not be able to help everyone between now and the closure of this promotion on Sunday. We will not be extending this promotion but we will honour the promotion for anyone who had activation or porting failures during the promotion period (October 25-November 20).
  • Our porting success ratio has been extremely good, however, we have noticed a volume of customers are inputting errors in their porting information. Please be very diligent in the information you are inputting to ensure the port request will be successful.
  • Some tips for success on porting:
    • Your device’s IMEI is the most accurate method to port. Please note that your previous carrier would need to have that IMEI used on your old account. 
    • Separate the activation from the port. If you do the activation first you will have your account setup and ready to go.  You can then log into self-serve and complete your port.  This prevents incorrect porting information from affecting your activation.
  • When not porting a number in we are seeing some customers being unable to see an available phone number. To fix this, you need to clear your browser’s cache.

Future dated rate plan change:

• We have existing customers who have future dated rate plan changes to get the promotional plan and, in some cases, the change is not sticking. We are aware of the issue and we are committed to ensuring the plan change is honored for you if you in fact had chosen a future dated rate plan change. This will also take us some time to catch up on so please bear with us.

For SIM card delivery delays or if your SIM card never arrived:

• This issue is predominantly driven by address errors or missing information – I’ve personally seen returns from apartment buildings with no unit number. Please be diligent when filling in your address.
  • Additionally many of you who ordered recently are asking where your SIM is. Please be mindful that Friday, November 11 was a holiday for Canada Post so there will be some delays as a result. If you ordered Wednesday through Friday of last week, please check your mail tomorrow.
  • If you order a SIM at this point (Tuesday evening), it will likely not arrive before the promo ends on Sunday. To help with this, we are organizing SIM card pick up locations in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal for Friday and Saturday for anyone who wants a last minute SIM card. Details to come, but the location will be downtown in each city and the $5 for each SIM will be going to Prostate Cancer in the spirit of Movember.

How can you help us?

• If you have a problem, please only message once. We are getting 10+ messages from one person about one issue and that increases the backlog and wait time for everyone
  • If you have extra SIM cards, give them to your friends or to Community members so they can join before the promo ends

Again, I’m really grateful for your support and your patience. I know that, with the above solutions, we will get through this together and prove that wireless can be done differently.

Sincecerly Dave.

169 REPLIES 169

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
That's why I rarely give in depth replies with links and all that other Jazz. I try and keep it simple on mobile 🙂

imm1304

srlawren
@Rockdaddy22 you're a better man than me! Lol. I do quick replies here but for general consumption I wait for my laptop browser

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
To think all my participation on this site is on mobile 😞

srlawren
@imm1304 can you post a link to the photo thread? I'm on the train right now and finding anything on mobile site is awful

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@imm1304 I just wanted to see the superhero in cape Cat LOL

I can always order more SIMs online (after referals I only have 3 left, and 2 are REALLY old non tri-SIMs)

Plus I expect 2 more referals tomorrow 

Unfortunately my little one is feeling sick so I am staying home today

The big line ups though proves what I was saying about this plan getting traction

Plus going in person is great idea for new clients

(eg if we both get 2 SIMs at location, we meet I give you 2 refers and you give me 2 refers back)

imm1304

@kav2001c, judging from RFD and reddit, majority of people joining PM are from the Rogers and its subsidiaries.  People have been awakened by PM!  😄

Did you see the sim card pickup location pic of the lineup at Toronto Telus tower location?  I didn't think it was actually going to be a lineup like that.  

@imm1304 wrote:

On Monday night, I helped a friend activate 2 lines and port from Chatr.  Both of these accounts were more than 1 year old.  Both had recently bought new phones privately around 2-3 months ago.  We could not find Chatr account numbers from their online accounts.  So, we entered the current device's IMEI, Account PIN and the authorization names.  Ports were successful.  

Personally, I did not enter IMEI numbers and still ported successfully at least 3 times in the last year. 

@imm1304 Rogers seems to always hide account numbers for online service (7-11, Chatr, the bank plans)

It's to prevent mass exodus Cat LOL

@RogueMonk wrote:

Three words -- Class Action Suit.

@RogueMonk ok once I have finished laughing what would be the basis for a class action?

Worst case scenario Public could refund your fee

@canucks4life wrote:

Good update had no issues with my Wind port except getting my Amex registered for Autopay due to address mismatch.

Any idea if we'll be issued a tax receipt for those Movember donation SIM card purchases?

@canucks4life donation not eligible for tax receipt

imm1304

Hey @GI2016,

I can confidently answer this one.  You will be able to port or change number at a later date.  There is no restriction on this and it can be done from selfserve.  

You will keep the plan, it is linked to your account.  Changing the phone number doesn't have any impact on your plan or rewards etc in your account.  

srlawren
@GI2016 you can port at any time down the road without affecting your plan at all. You will be fine to do that.

@MediaGuy no I didn't miss anything, and I did just reply to your private message with the more serious answer. My previous reply here to you was a bit tongue-in-cheeck because you were essentially accusing the majority of the community (presumably including myself) of being shills or agents of propaganda. I can assure you that is not the case. You can look through my posting history. I have posted many critical opinions personally as well.

GI2016
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Dave_M,

your post is very informative and addresses some of my questions.

could you please clarify with regard to your statement:
Separate the activation from the port. If you do the activation first you will have your account setup and ready to go.  You can then log into self-serve and complete your port.  This prevents incorrect porting information from affecting your activation.

My question is: I plan to activate my line and purchase the promotion before the deadline with a randomly generated number from PM pool of numbers. Will I be able to port my number from another carrier after the promotion ends and keep my plan and promotion?

in other words, is the plan affected when a phone number is changed or ported from another carrier?

In addition, are rewards for referals affected when a phone number is changed or ported from another carrier? I mean both ways referals - when receiving and giving referals.

Please clarify the above questions. I am sure that people will be more patient and willing to wait longer if the plan is preserved as is when changing or porting a number later / any time.

I am sure this is addressed in the small print somewhere, but I have not read all documents completely.

Thanks!

MediaGuy

Obviously you have missed something important because this has nothing to do with feelings - its about the facts.

srlawren
@MediaGuy I'm "sorry" you "feel that way"

slavitch
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I finally was able to register and port a number over last night, after midnight.

Here's what I did.

Used Firefox Browser on Mac.  Chrome gives me troubles.

I was not logged in to my Google account and all cookies were cleared.

I'm not sure if it was browser issues or the traffic on the Public side being low enough to run the transaction but it worked.

MediaGuy

So these (ABOVE) "replies" seem to be ignorant of the facts. Looks like the "citizens of this community " are really propagandists, but that doesn't change reality - it just makes people supicious of the whole company and its ethics.

sportymi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you Public Mobile! We canadian finally have something innovative, low cost and works wonder!

matttang

Thank you for the awesome support!

MediaGuy

Dave - I have been running companies most of my life - no big deal. Just getting profitable isn't the only objective. Staying profitable is the objective. Right now I and a lot of other people are having problems with the service you call service. You are taking a bow while your customers as on fire.

I used the self-serve website and it screws up. To resolve the problem I have compromised in order to re-gain service because I need it - who doesn't. I have asked for help about 72 hours ago with NO REPLY.

I am not happy.....here is my story.

I changed my plan from a 90 day to a 30 day plan (change at the next renewal) – the payment due should be 42.00 for the next 30 days. The accounts says that the amount owing is 78.00 ..the available funds are 42.00. I have autopay so…it appears that the system is not operating correctly AND my Phone is DEAD….for a whole day. My account has been deactivated - Nobody has answered my 2 previous emails. Anybody have the same problem......??? I tagged Mary but NO REPLY.

Later.....

I paid the 78.00 + the 42.00 available funds to get my service going BUT this is not what I have wanted or ordered. I am leaving the country and want to reduce the service to a 30 day cycle then down to 25.00 for a 3 months cycle (the minimum) while I am away. I need an ajustment or other intervention. This isn't really self-serve if the system doesn't work.

Thursday Late

I have tagged a moderator but have gotten no reply after 2 days. Is this what "self-serve" is like. If there is something I am not doing right I need to know, but if this is your problem or I am being ignored I will have to take other actions to get this resolved problem.

When can I expect to get help with this resolved....

slavitch

Good luck activating!

VertigoHorizon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I placed my order at 10am in Alberta yesterday morning (wednesday), got a notification it had shipped that evening. package was in my mailbox here in Calgary this afternoon.  Very fast and very appreciated!

slavitch

1. The  port number icon has been greyed out.

2.  I'm stuck on choose number don't get anywhere past that.

THREE different attempts to register previously have failed.  My wife now questions this.  

I've got two SIMS that fail activation,  please advise on who at Public to PM on getting assistance.

exsoldier84

Thanks for all of your smart decisions and strategic methods to help grow and improve the online community for the wireless industry.  I think this is an excellent step in the right direction.  Your largest group of supporters will likely come from the millenials, as we all grew up with the internet and doing things online from the comfort of your home or remotely from your mobile devices is something we all are accustomed to.  Me personally, logging in to check my account status and doing payments online without having to go anywhere, talk to anyone, walk into a store is MEGA convenient and a time saver.  This is totally within my realm.  Although it may be foreign to some, I think it is inevitable that our future will drive towards a heavily-invested online-based customer service without physical interaction.

Good Job Public Mobile!

@mikefradette wrote:

@computergeek541 I live in Whitehorse, but post usually takes a week or two to get here since we're not a "major urban centre", we're 30,000 people. Anyways, hopefully it's in the mail today!

Yeah, it's long overdue then as Public doesn't ship by regular mail any longer. A package going to Whitehorse should only add 1 additional day to the delivery time when using express services.  Canada Post Priority is only 2 business days and Xpresspost 3 business days from Mississauga (where's Toronto's main Canada Post sorting warehouse is) to Whitehorse.  I hope you get them soon.

mikefradette

@computergeek541 I live in Whitehorse, but post usually takes a week or two to get here since we're not a "major urban centre", we're 30,000 people. Anyways, hopefully it's in the mail today!

@mikefradette wrote:

I ordered three sim cards on November 4th and it shipped November 7th. I live in the Yukon way up near Alaska and it can take a while to get mail up here unfortunately.

I have three friends that are wanting to port to Public Mobile. Since I ordered the sim cards at the beginning of the month, if they don't arrive by the time the promo ends, will the promo be honored for the three sim cards I activate?

Public Mobile advertises that they ship by Canada Post Xpresspost, but has recently been using Canada Post Priority Courier instead.  I looked up service standard transit times and for Xpresspost to Whitehorse, it is only supposed to take 3 business days, while Priority takes 2 business days.  But even if you live in Beaver Creek with a population of about 100 people (I just looked up a random place in Yukon that has Telus service available), shipping by those methods is promised to be delivered by Canada Post in 7 business days. 

So based on that 7 business day transit time to a remote location, and if we assume that Public missed Canada Post's daily cut-off time on the 7th,  and also factoring in that the 11th was a holiday for Canada Post, that would schedule delivery by this Friday.  If you're in a rural area, that's cutting it a little close based on those shipping time estimates.  If you're in the major city, your sim cards are overdue.

mikefradette

I ordered three sim cards on November 4th and it shipped November 7th. I live in the Yukon way up near Alaska and it can take a while to get mail up here unfortunately.

I have three friends that are wanting to port to Public Mobile. Since I ordered the sim cards at the beginning of the month, if they don't arrive by the time the promo ends, will the promo be honored for the three sim cards I activate?

PublicMobile101

I honestly love this company i love how it is nofrills and community based. I atually enjoy paying money to this company because of that. and it keeps getting better ! this is the only cell phone company i have ever bin with that atually gives me better deals all the time insted of price hikeing every year like other companys. I love haveing a choice of what i want and when i want it.  some times if i am haveing a hard time with money i will go and change my plan to a cheaper plan and other times when i start to get alot of money comeing in i will change it to a plan that costs more. PM works with you and fits everyones life style i love it ❤️

PMmaybe a bit different, BUT that's what will win the Henhouse, and well, there can't be 2 roosters in Da House.

Need Help? Let's chat.