cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Customer support during COVID-19 situation

I want to take a minute to thank Public Mobile for offering the free text, talk and bit of data for those of us making the journey home from the USA. We personally felt much more at ease knowing we were able to keep in touch with family and provide the progress of our trip. It made it possible for those to book hotels along their route.  It was a very thoughtful and comforting gift. In support of PM, I have commented to many friends about this good will gesture.

Highlighted

Hello AE_Collector

FYI:  We drove a straight 18 hours to Canada from Florida yesterday. Oringinally I had purchased only the $8.00 US text add-on, however I could not understand how texting would work without the data add-on so I then purchased the bundle for $20.00 with text, talk and a bit of data.  I received a first text from PM advising I had used 50% of data, followed later that day with a text advising I had used 95% of my data. Right after the second text from PM I was unable able to text. (I would have had plenty if data for the 18 hours however google traffic maps ate it up rather quickly.)  I am not sure why PM offers just a texting add-on if data is also required. Should this, or do you know if this situation has been explained when purchasing US add-ons? I could not find anything in the community that spelled it out.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Mimi33 

Wow, is that trip do-able in 18 hours? I guess it is... We did LA to Vancouver in 24 hours years ago, maybe you weren't too far south in Florida?

Basically texting is accomplished on the voice network so data is not required. But if you have an Apple device things get complicated real quick. It depends on your device settings and the device of the person who you are messaging whether it will be done over the voice or data networks.

AE_Collector

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Mimi33  It sounds like you were using Imessage rather than traditional SMS or MMS service that would require only texting add ons. Incoming texts do not require a roaming add on only outgoing texts. But thankfully you're back home and ready to self isolate and you don't have to pay for the roaming add ons. Welcome back to Canada!

Highlighted

Thanks Darlicious

Because E1 in our family have "I" products messages defaults to Imessaging however both SMS and MMS are activated in my settings.  At times messages went through using SMS (the bubble turns green from the usual blue colour for iMessaging) during the time period I had data left.  Messaging did not work at all after the notification from PM that data was all used up.  I tried using ppl's email address instead of iPhone numbers and that didn't work.

Highlighted

LOL...we took turns driving from Tampa to London and started at 11:30 pm so no traffic.  Not one car at the Sarnia border helped matters also. I get confused with the types of texting.  At times my iphone sent SMS texts (blue bubble turned green) however this didn't happen after text from PM advising I had no data, so I don't understand.  I guess if PM offers US texting only it must work then.  In the future I could try purchasing texting and not data, and see how it works.  That is if we can, or I want to leave of our country again.  Thanks

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Mimi33  That sounds about right driving wise....i did a couple road trips to new Orleans from Toronto back in the day and did it in about 20 hours not counting all the missteps, misadventures and missing piston along the way! Turning off Imessage would have probably helped but I'm sure a couple of our resident Apple users can help with their experiences using roaming like @CalgaryBen and @iPhoneUser . I have a 24 hour stopover in London in September if we can travel again by then...ill have to hit you up in the lounge for some advice on what to do and where to stay for our short stay on the way to nova Scotia. Gotta love Swoop!

Highlighted

Yup...just hope Swoop doesn't go under with this mess. Air Canada stocks are a steal if you have any investments left.  We flew home to London at Christmas for $79 US per person (a thousand dollars today with our dollar).

I actually tried that but got a message that I had to have IMessaging on.  I do love IMessaging as providers like Bell could not charge for usage (in the day and still with cheaper plans, when texts are limited to a number of texts per month).  I really am not complaining as PM is going to give me a credit for the $20 bundle plus (I hope) for the $8 I originally paid for texting only until I talked myself into needing data.  39 new cases of the virus in Pasco county, where our US home is, since we left yesterday.  Stay healthy and for sure I can help with your London layover.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sorry but PM service was crap before this covid19 problem 

So will it take 10 days now to get my USA addon working? 

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'd love to Thankyou PM for this offer BUT like every other time my USA addons don't work so even though I want to keep in touch with my family in Canada PM can't/won't sort out it out expeditiously.