cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired: Competitive Response: Limited Time Offer for Freedom Mobile Customers only

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update: We will be extending our Freedom competitive response promo to July 6th 11:59 pm EDT.

Hey Community,

As a competitive response, Public Mobile will be offering Freedom mobile only customers, an offer due to their current LTE plan from now until July 6th (11:59 pm EDT).

• Unlimited Province-Wide talk, unlimited global text and 12GB of data (4GB/month) on a 90-day plan for $120 (about $40/month).

All this on Canada’s largest 4G LTE network.  

Check out more details below or click here to learn more.  For our current customers, this is an opportunity to give your friends true freedom while earning your first, second, or even fifth referral credit.

Things to know

• This promotional offer is only for a limited time and will end effectively on July 6th 11:59 pm EDT
  • In order to get the plan, Freedom Mobile customers must activate on the specified plan and port-in their number upon activation during the promotional period.  
  • The end date communicated is the last day any new customer from Freedom mobile can port-in and activate on the promotional plan. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated on the specified plan by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, and have not yet arrived or been activated.

IMPORTANT: Getting the plan

As a Freedom Mobile customer, you can sign up for the promotional plan through the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first! Once you have your SIM card in hand, please note the following:

1. During the activation process, you will be prompted to enter your current phone number and current provider account information in order to successfully port your number over.  
  2. In the activation process, you will be prompted to choose a plan.  Please select the following combination in our plans calculator:
  • 90-day plan
  • Unlimited Province-wide Talk
  • Plan Subtotal: $120
  • 6GB*data (+6GB bonus will be added within 72 hours - that’s 12GB over 90 days = 4GB/month for $40!)
  • Unlimited Global Text

3. Register on the above plan and complete the activation process.  Once activated, your data plan will be upgraded from 6GB per 90 days to 12GB per 90 days within 72 hours.  Note: Within 72 hours, your 6GB bonus will be applied. Please check your online account/self-serve to verify you have received your bonus 6GB.

Remember, this promotion is for a limited time only, so hurry and activate as soon as possible!

For more information about our plans see our Terms of Service. More questions? Check out our FAQ by clicking on the spoiler button below.

Spoiler

Promo Plan Specific Questions

Question

Response

Q: How long will this plan be in market?

This plan will be in market until the communicated end date on the Community. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Q: The promo offered to Freedom port-in customers isn’t in the calculator, how do I get it?

If you’re a Freedom customer, activate your SIM on the 90 day, province-wide talk, global text, 6GB $120 plan and port-in your Freedom number UPON ACTIVATION. Note: Within 72 hours, your 6GB bonus will be applied. Please check your online account/self-serve to verify you have received your bonus 6GB. When the bonus 6GB are added, your plan will include a total of 12GB of data.

Q: If I activate on the 90 day, province-wide talk, global text, 6GB $120 plan and port-in my Freedom number upon activation, how will I know when I have received my bonus data?

Within 72 hours, your 6GB bonus will be applied. Please check your online account/self-serve to verify you have received your bonus 6GB. When the bonus 6GB are added, your plan will include a total of 12GB of data.

Q: I’m a Public Mobile customer, am I eligible for the promotion?

We appreciate your loyalty, but unfortunately, this plan is available only to Freedom customers. Stay tuned for future promotional offers.

Q: If I register on the promo plan, how can I call out of province? Will I be charged for calling out of province?

You will be unable to call out of province on this promo plan and will, therefore, not be charged for calling out of province.  If you want to do so, you will need to purchase one of our Long Distance Add-ons.  It’s a great option for anyone who is looking to call anywhere in Canada.  To learn more about our Long Distance Add-Ons visit our plans page.  

Q: The promo has ended and I ordered my SIM card 3 days ago.  Even though it hasn’t arrived yet, can I still get the plan?

The end date is the last day to activate and get the promotional offer.  The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated on the promotional plan by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, and not yet arrived or activated.

Q: I just ordered my SIM card but I don’t know if I’ll get it before the promo end date.  Will you still honour the promotional plan for me?

No.  We will not honour the promo for you.  As communicated, the promo end date is the last day to activate to get the promo.  The promo will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated on the promo plan by the deadline.  

Q: Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.   

Public Mobile Community team

66 REPLIES 66

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

* EDIT:  removed conflicting info to prevent confusion.

Thanks @NDesai

Yawza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What would be the best approach to my situation, I am with Virginmobile - Should I buy the 25$ sim from Wind and portout that number, then port in my original number after I confirm that the extra 6 GIGS have been applied or should I port my number to Wind from Virgin then port out to Public?

Do we need to pay the full 25$ if we purchase from Wind and port out within 24 hours or they have a 15 days policy based on the minutes  usage?

Appreciated.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

As a canadian I am happy that there is now some competition going on between providers  and the disappearance of the unlocking fee. But As a ex-Wind user I am a bit sad that that it is only targeting them instead of the whole market, as any competition is good for all of us.

Tansha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Excellent offer, I am using Rogers from last 8 years, is it possible to port-in my rogers number under this offer. Also I need a new line under this offer. Is there any way I can get this offer without hassle of acivating freedom and then porting my new number to PM.

This offer should be available to user with any carrier or new customer as well.

Thanks

Phillip

@Luddite Thanks for the clarification. I understand it to be 12GB over 90 days. It's 6GB over what I'm getting now so definitely something I'd like to get but can't as an existing customer.

lorvar

Province wide? That's it? Other than reception issues, I had more options with Freedom for $39 than I do now at $52 with Public. Reception and coverage is the reason I came to Public, but the packages aren't great.

@mfazio wrote:

Is there any appetite to allow existing customers to hop on this plan? I understand the need to incentivize customers to join PM, but since the "value plan" market is getting more competitive, I would assume that keeping current customers would also be a focus as well.

I'm sure Public Mobile has considered and discussed this.  It's the whole concept and argument that some people can use that points out treating new customers better than old customers.   Maybe, the offered will be opened up later on, but only time will tell.

Existing Public Mobile customers could always play the porting out and then porting back game.  It would end up costing you $10 for a Freedom Mobile sim card, $5 for another Public sim card.  It would also end up costing you any monies already paid up on your current Public account, and at least a partial month of service fees at Freedom  (a prorated monthly fee if postpaid or the full monthly feee if prepaid/pay before).

@JakeH wrote:

Can I activate the new sim, to my current account and still be eligilible for the promo, or does it have to be to a totally new account?

Sorry, but no, that can't be done.  You can only have one sim card/phone number per Public Mobile account.  Also, the promotion currenly only seems to be for new activation customers who port in from Freedom Mobile.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I will write this here since it is still the 3rd page: 

If it is almost the end of the promo and you just found out about this offer, and you live in Ottawa-Gatineau and or  are here for the great  CANADA 150 celebrations, send me a Private message I do have some spares for you 🙂

Edit : Typos

@Phillip Just to be clear this promo is 12 GB over 90 NOT 30 days.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@troypavlek don't you worry, it won't change.

mesonto

How about if you want unlimited talk across Canada and the US? At Freedom I have that right now... an old Xmas plan. I really need this option. I have seen Public Mobiles long distance add-on plan and I am afraid it's just not very good, unless I initially get it included.

So the question is, "Can I initially include Canada and U.S. Long Distance" and proceed with the switch?

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
Booooom. Some one is loosing more customers. Hopefully we see more of this and maybe every other company will join . Bring the prices DOWN FOR CANADIANS

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is good on a couple of fronts.

PM is still willing to offer 12gb over 90days. Nice!

Restricting to Freedom accts only, allows them to further test their backend systems without getting bombarded with failed ports etc. Maybe it will get opened up to any port in.

hhlee24

While this is a great deal, it's a little disappointing that it is being restricted as I had just switched over to PM from Freedom about a month ago (love the service now though). Any particular reason it's only for current Freedom users?

tod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Phillip wrote:

Wouldn't it be worth it to port over to Freedom and then back into PM? Two weeks should be enough time for the porting and the SIM card for Freedom is free. So if your PM plan is nearly up for renewal, I'm not seeing the downside to this. Mine just got renewed but I'm still considering it as 6GB isn't quite enough for me. Almost enough but I catch myself holding back just in case and wish I didn't have to.

That's what I was thinking as well, if you don't mind giving about $50 ($25 for SIM I believe it was + $25 for the cheapest plan) to "freedom" I don't see a reason why anyone wouldn't be able to get the promo plan.

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is a great offer but what about PM's current customers who are not on the fall promotion?  

troypavlek

If I sign up for this plan, it could change or disappear at any time, right?

That's what I'm seeing in the FAQ in the first post, that I shouldn't expect this rate plan to stick around after I sign up.

Phillip

Wouldn't it be worth it to port over to Freedom and then back into PM? Two weeks should be enough time for the porting and the SIM card for Freedom is free. So if your PM plan is nearly up for renewal, I'm not seeing the downside to this. Mine just got renewed but I'm still considering it as 6GB isn't quite enough for me. Almost enough but I catch myself holding back just in case and wish I didn't have to.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

An existing customer: I will have to stay tuned for future promotional offers 

collin1215
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I'm pretty choked, was previously a freedom mobile customer 3 months ago... I should've stayed a little longer

stjokro

Well, this is a bit disappointing!.

Just ported my number from Rogers to PM yesterday at 10:00PT.

If I knew this would pop-up, I would've signed for Freedom Mobile first then port my number.

Paid for the old $186 for the exact same plan.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Would of been nice to see this promo available for current Fido customers as well a bit much to ask my friends to port over Freedom first then onto PM.

It's a great offer. I know lots of upset freedom mobile customers. 6gb bonus will be added after porting get completed and verified they migrate from freedom mobile. Right
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Harvir_K
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
This isn't really worth for me to switch over too because I'm getting their $60 dollar plan for $38

Great catch @stonechucker! Thank you 🙂

mfazio

Is there any appetite to allow existing customers to hop on this plan? I understand the need to incentivize customers to join PM, but since the "value plan" market is getting more competitive, I would assume that keeping current customers would also be a focus as well.

Times should be EDT, we're in Daylight hours, that's 1 hour different than EST.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

freedom will be losing a lot of customers!

Every sim needs to have its own account
Need Help? Let's chat.