cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Community Updates - May 2020

This is really a brilliant idea. At least no one is left out at the moment and everyone's contribution counts no matter how small it may be

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That is a great feature.  I wish that there was an app for Public Mobile as I find the website interface is a little slow processing.  I have tried the site at both my home network and my work network.  

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@byronrayne wrote:

That is a great feature.  I wish that there was an app for Public Mobile as I find the website interface is a little slow processing.  I have tried the site at both my home network and my work network.  

@byronrayne bear in mind that a hypothetical mobile app would still leverage the same back-end services that power the self-serve website, meaning that they may not be much quicker if any.  This of course assumes they would not also upgrade the back-end systems when releasing the hypothetical app; a back-end overhaul/update would make both the website and a hypothetical/future mobile app quicker and is probably the wiser initial investment.  In theory, once that was done, I could see PM deciding they don't need a mobile app as the website would then be reasonably snappy. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren 

Wasnt there an announcement maybe 6 months ago that the web site had undergone some changes that would solve the slow response rate? I don't think I ever noticed any change to it.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AE_Collector wrote:

@srlawren 

Wasnt there an announcement maybe 6 months ago that the web site had undergone some changes that would solve the slow response rate? I don't think I ever noticed any change to it.

@AE_Collector I think PM used it as justification to get rid of the build-your-own plan and 90 day plan options.  Whether or not that was the true motivation for the plan simplifications is anyone's guess.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Yes that may have been at the same time so it could have been hoped that this would free up resources to let the web site respond faster. Still waiting on that however! “Part of the experience here” as I have said with regards to other things that seem like they should be an easy fix but don't ever get fixed...

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@byronrayne wrote:

@byronrayne bear in mind that a hypothetical mobile app would still leverage the same back-end services that power the self-serve website, meaning that they may not be much quicker if any.  This of course assumes they would not also upgrade the back-end systems when releasing the hypothetical app; a back-end overhaul/update would make both the website and a hypothetical/future mobile app quicker and is probably the wiser initial investment.  In theory, once that was done, I could see PM deciding they don't need a mobile app as the website would then be reasonably snappy.

Other advantages a PM app could offer us:

- could potentially be programmed to autoconfigure all PM settings on every device

- could potentially be programmed to allow a direct channel with PM support (even when Self-Serve account status denies normal service)

- stronger security than browser https if each installed copy is issued unique embedded ID tokens

- snazzy icon on desktop, if you're into that sort of thing

Other advantages a PM app could offer PM (and Telus):

- more streamlined support channel

- more advanced active and passive telemetry = more data points to sell to data brokers

- more ability to spam subscribers, potentially unignorable and unblockable

Disadvantages a PM app would bring:

- cost $$$$$-$$$$$$$ to design and deploy and maintain (depending how many bugs and problems happen)

- ongoing cost $$$$$$ to continue supporting new devices and operating systems

- will simply never be possible to support every device, all hardware, all software which millions of bring-your-own-device Canadians will dig up

- transition period will confuse many customers, possible loss of subscribers

- introduces endless vulnerability to manipulation from people running hacked/modded clients

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Its time for the month of May update now. 

Lets see who is there.  😀

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

exactly - i think this is what PM is set apart from other carriers. See it is cheap because of how it is now; add more "services" and youre going to jack up plan prices. Obviously there are boundaries to this, some benefits can be added without shelling out too much $$$$

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is great. I love that you’re looking for ways that everyone can help each other and reward those that do and encourage everyone to join in.