Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to select bonus data and promotions

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

With the change of seasons, we also have some changes to bonus data and promotions. Last night, as you may have noticed, we discontinued the following promotional plans:

• $40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed
  • $45 for 6 GB at 3G speed
  • $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed

While these promotions are no longer available, have no fear. For starters, we’ve made the decision to offer something similar to the $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed promotion available in the calculator as $50 for 6 GB + 2 GB BONUS at 3G speed. To check out the other changes, all of which are taking effect today, please check out our plans page at publicmobile.ca/plans  or by selecting plans from the top header of our site. 

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs below or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the promotional plans. At my next payment due date, am I required to select a new plan?

If you would like to continue on your current plan at your payment date, no change is required.

I am currently on one of the promotional plans, and am considering switching to another plan. If I don’t like my new plan can I simply switch back to the promotional plan I was on?

The short answer is no. After changing your plan, you can only change to another in-market plan. For example, this means that, if you’re currently on the $45 for 6 GB at 3G speed plan, then switch to a new plan, you would lose access to the $45 for 6GB at 3G speeds offer.

On my next plan renewal date, I chose to switch to one of the following plans:

●     $40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

●     $45 for 6 GB at 3G speed

●     $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed

Now that these are being removed, what will happen?

If you have setup  a plan change to one of the mentioned promotional plans at your next payment date and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

How do I change my plan? What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date so your money can go further, but ultimately the choice is yours.

To learn more about how to change your plan and other things you should consider when determining which option is best for you, check out our Self-Serve Account Management help article here

47 REPLIES 47

achinfatt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The promotion is back on, got the 4.5G 3g for $40 today

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

So the big gig deal is still alive and well but packaged differently.  It would be nice to see a bit of love for the lighter users.

I appreciate this comment. Thanks. 

TMS

@RobertQc wrote:

@Brooke_C wrote:

Hey Community,

With the change of seasons, we also have some changes to bonus data and promotions. Last night, as you may have noticed, we discontinued the following promotional plans:

While these promotions are no longer available, have no fear. For starters, we’ve made the decision to offer something similar to the $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed promotion available in the calculator as $50 for 6 GB + 2 GB BONUS at 3G speed. To check out the other changes, all of which are taking effect today, please check out our plans page at publicmobile.ca/plans  or by selecting plans from the top header of our site. 

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs below or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the promotional plans. At my next payment due date, am I required to select a new plan?

If you would like to continue on your current plan at your payment date, no change is required.

I am currently on one of the promotional plans, and am considering switching to another plan. If I don’t like my new plan can I simply switch back to the promotional plan I was on?

The short answer is no. After changing your plan, you can only change to another in-market plan. For example, this means that, if you’re currently on the $45 for 6 GB at 3G speed plan, then switch to a new plan, you would lose access to the $45 for 6GB at 3G speeds offer.

On my next plan renewal date, I chose to switch to one of the following plans:

●     $40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

●     $45 for 6 GB at 3G speed

●     $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed

Now that these are being removed, what will happen?

If you have setup  a plan change to one of the mentioned promotional plans at your next payment date and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

How do I change my plan? What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date so your money can go further, but ultimately the choice is yours.

To learn more about how to change your plan and other things you should consider when determining which option is best for you, check out our Self-Serve Account Management help article here

@Brooke_CPlease give the regular users a deal next time, its always "big data" plans, where is the deals on $20-30 even $35 for users without much data needs. This is supposed to be public mobile, "less for less" but its always "more for more" .... "more money for more data"

Agreed! Thanks for this being mentioned. 

Noosiekins

soo I'm guessing this doesn't affect any current 4G plan customers....

I had many problems with Koodo Cat Mad

I started using Public way back in the day as they were the only new entrant who had coverage in both Toronto and Montreal

Even today Freedom has no zones in Quebec and no spectrum since Videotron grabbed it all

@drmartin wrote:

PM is amazing.  Switched _from_ Koodo.  Cheaper, and you get more for your money.  I never really had a problem with Koodo, but at the end of the day, money talks.

Public Mobile didn't have "Bonus" anything until this year.  It's an advertising gimmick they've picked up from the other carriers who just love bonuses.  The difference here is, the bonus does not seem to disappear from your plan at the end of a period of time like the often do elsewhere.

I've not looked at the websites for baby blue nor baby red recently, but I'm betting they've got bonus plans still, and language to say that something expires after x number of months/years/eons.

drmartin

@fonzy35 wrote:

koodo is contract 1 or 2 years

PM, no trap, pay per months or 3 months

PM is amazing.  Switched _from_ Koodo.  Cheaper, and you get more for your money.  I never really had a problem with Koodo, but at the end of the day, money talks.

fonzy35
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

koodo is contract 1 or 2 years

PM, no trap, pay per months or 3 months

@kav2001c wrote:

@Brooke_C

I have to ask why?

What is the difference in a $50 plan with 8GB vs a $50 plan with 6GB + 2GB?

I think we both know that there is no difference. 

The way I see it, 6+2 is just so that it can be advertised as a bonus.  When they original started offering the $50 promotional plan with 8GB, they marketted it as a brand new plan.  And it was a new plan, because this plan originally did not include U.S. calling.  Being a brand new plan, they can't really call that 2GB part a bonus when the plan never existed to begin with. That's the way I see it at least.   I compare that to the situation where a store can't advertise an inflated regular price unless they at least once point sold the product for that price.

I almost went with Lucky until I checked out PM forums and all their specials.  Then the choice was clear for me.  I got two other friends and two other family members to join.  I'm just waiting for my two Bell accounts to expire before I can jump to PM.

Long live PM!  🙂

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Brooke_C

I have to ask why?

What is the difference in a $50 plan with 8GB vs a $50 plan with 6GB + 2GB?

@Brooke_C wrote:

Hey Community,

@Shapla001 wrote:

I am definitely in favour of PM, I usually don't consider Chatr (Robbers) and Lucky (Robbers - Resurrection) as comparison to PM, due to :

I personally welcome this ending, with a hope of new beginning with real competition with ROBBERS and their sequels.

Lucky Mobile isn't Rogers. It's owned by Bell.

Shapla001

@mimmo wrote:

@Shapla001  as mentioned before basically look at what chatr and lucky offer in terms of promos and PM will probably follow...  or vice versa  

I am definitely in favour of PM, I usually don't consider Chatr (Robbers) and Lucky (Robbers - Resurrection) as comparison to PM, due to :

1.   Their plans, which are usually similar/close in price point with PM, but, in zone only. Thats a big restriction. Personally, I suffered a lot once I was with migratory Chatr from Mobilicity. At this era, I would never think of limitation in terms of zones. That's really mean.

2.   I have experienced Chatr 3G speed, real slow.

However, my point was - all good promo plans have a lifecycle, from seller's point of view, as well as buyer's point of view. Thereby, these promos 0f 40 and 45 has to come to an end. I personally welcome this ending, with a hope of new beginning with real competition with ROBBERS and their sequels.

Cheers

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Shapla001  as mentioned before basically look at what chatr and lucky offer in terms of promos and PM will probably follow...  or vice versa  

Shapla001

It's okey, if promotion stays forever, then it's not a promotion. Definitely that had to end, hopeful that something new would come up, holiday season is coming and it should be there. Happy to be there with PM

sbreakin

@Dunkman wrote:

Not bad.  The $50 plan is the same.  The $40 plans are a bit more expensive.

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed ----> now available for $45 for 4.0 + 1 GB

$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed-----> now available for $45 for 4.0 + 1 GB

$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed (with US calling) ---->  $40 for 6.0 + 2 GB

Hi @Dunkman and @mimmo

Some lower price options/ special plans i'd suggest:

$15 for text only (which might be $13 with autopay reward).

(similar to Koodo pre-paid which is $15-10% with auto-pay).  Customer could add-on minutes or data as needed/ emergencies.

2. I like the $10 50/50 plan (& in fact young daughter is managing it very well & working on getting my dad to switch from Speakout) but would be nice to see either:

2i) text add-on for the $10 50/50: (as can add some minutes or data now)

or

2ii) plan ~ $15-$20 for something like 100+ texts/ 100 minutes/ 250Mb data (like Freedoms $15 Home plan ($20-$5 auto pay) which has unlimited text/ 100 minutes (unltd incoming) /250Mb)

WarrenG58
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Brooke_C, thanks for the update and it is great to see the 8GB (6+2) is still available for $50.  Is the bonus 2GB a limited time offer?

Yup, it's technically a limited time offer!

Effort

I see it's identical to what Chatr is offering. Psst Chatr, throw something up for $30/35.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bigmouth2015 wrote:

yes, I went to 'build you own plan'.  First, I selected call+text + 500MB, but price is $30.  $35 for 1GB.

Yes correct. What point are you trying to get at

bigmouth2015

@wetcoaster wrote:

@bigmouth2015 wrote:

I don't see this plan online. Where did you see this offer?  If you add 1GB data add, it costs actually $30 extra.  Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

@bigmouth2015

You should use the quote function - it's not clear what post you are referring to .

The bonus data outlined in the original announcement are available under "build your own plan".

yes, I went to 'build you own plan'.  First, I selected call+text + 500MB, but price is $30.  $35 for 1GB.

@bigmouth2015 wrote:

I don't see this plan online. Where did you see this offer?  If you add 1GB data add, it costs actually $30 extra.  Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

@bigmouth2015

You should use the quote function - it's not clear what post you are referring to .

The bonus data outlined in the original announcement are available under "build your own plan".

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bigmouth2015 you should selected auto pay and you can save $2 every month also

bigmouth2015

Thanks.

@bigmouth2015 wrote:

I'm currently on $40 for 4.5GB 30-days plan.  Would I still be able to keep this plan on my next plan renewal date (Oct 23)?

Thanks.

Yes you are able to, PM can still change the price of a plan with 30 days notice though.  If you do change your plan in the future you won't be able to get this plan back again unless it is currently being offered again.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wonder_why

@bigmouth2015 yes as long as you keep paying every month

bigmouth2015

I'm currently on $40 for 4.5GB 30-days plan.  Would I still be able to keep this plan on my next plan renewal date (Oct 23)?

Thanks.

mimmo

How about a $27 talk text and 250mb. I think this plan might encourage users who use occasional data ie $25 talk and text + 1gb data addon 

Wonder_why

Still nothing compared to Koodo last month offer $40/8GB with bill in credit $180 ,tax in for next 12 month $30.20 Screenshot_20180825-065252_Gmail.jpg

mimmo

@poppingyou can send mms without a data plan.  you just need data to be on and set up.  

Need Help? Let's chat.