Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certified Pre-Owned Phones: F.A.Q

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

As many of you may know, it’s been almost a year since we’ve launched our Certified Pre-Owned phones, and we’re so happy you’ve shared in its growth! 

From our evolving CPO catalogue, to our Community Picks promotions, we continue to offer refurbished phones that are tested, inspected, cleaned and re-packaged to look and function like new. Because of this, we are able to offer them at a price you and your wallet will love.

Along the way, we’ve received some common CPO questions from you. We’d like to highlight a few tips to help you out on your CPO journey. 

Where can I buy a Certified Pre-Owned phone?

• You will only be able to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned phone from Public Mobile on our website.
  • Note: for security purposes, your shipping address must match your billing address during checkout. This will ensure that you get your device as soon as possible!

What’s included in the box?

• An original manufacturer’s wall charger and data cable are included with our Certified Pre-Owned phones. Every CPO purchase will also include one (1) Public Mobile SIM card. 

What is the battery health like on a Certified Pre-Owned phone?

• The battery health of Certified Pre-Owned phones are tested to meet TELUS standards. Battery health may vary upon prior usage. 

What do the different phone grades actually mean?

• Like-new: Someone opened the box on these phones and then changed their mind: it’s as close to perfect as you can get with a pre-owned phone.
  • Great: These phones are just a couple of nicks and scuffs shy of perfect, but have passed all inspections and are the best opportunity for a great phone on a budget.
  • Very Good: These phones were well loved by someone - and now they’re ready for someone new! We took care of the buffing and cleaning, and while they may still have bumps and scratches they work perfectly well, and are our most affordable option.

Is warranty included. What’s the coverage like?

• Yes, every Certified Pre-Owned phone purchased from Public Mobile includes a Certified Pre-Owned warranty valid for a period of up to 1 year. To learn more about our Certified Pre-Owned phone warranty, please see our full warranty, returns and repair policy here .

What if I’m not satisfied with the phone I purchased?

• You can shop with confidence, because we have a 30-day Money Back Guarantee! If you are not happy with your purchase, simply follow the steps in this help article for a full refund or exchange within 30 days of purchase.

To learn more about our Certified Pre-Owned phones, click here.

- Public Mobile Team

77 REPLIES 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

@heidilf1 : In written form this is going to sound snotty but it's not intended to be...do you know of any businesses that would give prospective customers their inventory management stock levels and re-ordering strategies?

heidilf1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How long of a general turnover of selection of used phones do you have? Ex: certain models in stock

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech always has thoughtful responses.

steveb11

@softech  Thanks for the thoughtful response.

@steveb11   It would be very nice if they have bigger selection to all price range and not just under $175.  Honest, I think there are not many decent phone choices in this price spectrum anyway. For selling CPO, they need some decent phones and they willing to provide the 1 year warranty.   They don't want to sell too old the phones, and hence, the choice is really limited in this price range anyway

Also, I think PM CPO phone are slightly expensive.  You can get reliable CPO or second hand phone elsewhere cheaper.  The only thing that PM CPO phones are really good is that they have 1 year warranty.  If not for the warranty, I would suggest to buy it elsewhere, for cheaper and bigger selection.

steveb11

Thanks, but that's not really the point I was trying to make.

I'm hoping that Public Mobile might be able to increase the number of phone options at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Yes, one could go to Amazon or Walmart or wherever to buy a cheaper phone online but then there's the worry about whether it will be compatible with PM. IF PM sells it, that worry evaporates.

steve b.

@steveb11   Go with $199 A12.  It is a much better phone than $139 K32.  It is a pretty new phone  and will get at least 2 more years of full OS support from Samsung

In fact, if you are going with this phone and you don't mind to pay $10  extra, Samsung has it BRAND NEW for $210

Galaxy A12 LTE | Samsung Canada

steveb11

Hi,

This is a minor complaint, I realize. While I appreciate the number of pre-owned phone options presented by Public Mobile, there are only two options available for less than $175 and one of those is a flip phone.

Thanks.

steve b.

jimbobs

With Android phones, it's useful to know which version of Android is running on the phone and what (or how many) upgrades are possible.  Some may say, oh, it's a cheap phone so it's not relevant but I think prospective buyers will factor that in to their purchase decisions.

@Jenn99 

I'm happy to hear the CSA's sought out a simple solution. I'm sure your son will be thrilled come Christmas morning.

Jenn99

Thanks for the comments.

After communicating again that a full device return is not an acceptable solution, the team came back with a satisfactory offer.  They suggested I purchase a cord and that they will credit the cost to my account after the receipt is provided.  I am really glad that they came up with something to resolve this.  

@Jenn99 

Reply to the CSA and ask them to credit your account the cost of an iPhone charger as suggested by @hairbag1  and tell them to send you a prepaid return shipping envelope to return the charger. Save the reciept for the new charger when you reply again to request the credit.

Why does the CSA need to make it more difficult than it needs to be? @J_PM 

@Jenn99...which iPhone did you purchase ?

One solution is to go somewhere like The Source and buy a new charger for that phone. I know...it's not the best solution but if you like the phone, just spend a coupla bucks on an aftermarket charger.

I've even bought chargers from the Dollar Store that seems to work on my iPhone SE.

Jenn99

I have heard only the same answer as before.  To get the correct charger for the phone they sold me, I should exchange the device and I will need to pick a different device because they have no more inventory for the phone I bought.  This is really sad because I came to Public Mobile as I trusted that this would be more secure and less risky than ordering from other options and cheaper refurbs for the same product.  I paid more so that I wouldn't get scammed but feeling pretty scammed at the moment.  I hope hat I will be able to post that they have fixed this issue.

Mark_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I really like the certified pre-owned phones offered by Public Mobile. I always buy used phones at around the $400 price point, and would buy from Public Mobile when I upgrade if they have somewhat recent models. 

@Jenn99 wrote:

I did find that I was not getting an email notification about the community private messages they were sending me, 

Check the Community Setting page, the Subscriptions & Notifications has an option there 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:notificatio...

They suggest that I should initiate a return of the device because they put the wrong charger in the box.  

They have one year warranty, So for example if it breaks couple months later, I imagine they will fix or replace it instead of asking you to return the whole thing.. So, for sure they have way to replace. Demand it and push for it, ask for it to be escalated if needed. 

Come back and let us know the good news 🙂 

Jenn99

I did find that I was not getting an email notification about the community private messages they were sending me, thank you.  So they did respond.  Sadly the response is completely crazy.  They suggest that I should initiate a return of the device because they put the wrong charger in the box.  This is impossible because the iPhone I ordered isn't even available on the site any longer.  Probably sold out.  I paid a lot of money for the phone and it was sold with the understanding that a charger is in the box.  Sent message back to them requesting to please provide some level of service beyond return the device.  Will see what the answer is.  Now that I know I must log back in here frequently to see responses.  I am currently looking at other options for this iPhone for my son for Christmas because I will return the device and not purchase another one if they won't send the correct charger. ugh.

@Jenn99 

When did you open the support ticket? The CSA's are busier than normal due to the holiday giveaway. However wait times are still within a few hours. Did you check your private message box the envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen next to your avatar for a little number to pop up indicating a reply from a CSA?

If its been more than 48 hours then you will need to open a new support ticket or send a private message.

Spoiler

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the CSA/Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Jenn99

I ordered a certified pre-owned iphone.  In the box was a USB type C charger cord.  I opened a ticket only to get no response.  There is no one to call.  How can I get someone to send me the correct charger cord for the phone I ordered my son for Christmas?

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

im interested in iphone Se second generation, any chance PM would be getting these

Short answer: We don't know.

For CPO, I think either PM does not know much what will be coming.   I think it really depends what their CPO source offer them rather than they actively shopping for a specific model

Good news is that.. it's an iPhone, very likely they will get SE at some point in the future.

Bad news is .. they are still selling iPhone XR CPO, which was released back in 2018, so, there will probably at least a year (possibly two)  before  we will see iPhone SE (2nd gen) on the CPO list

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

im interested in iphone Se second generation, any chance PM would be getting these

@Winning247 

Probably not. That's the one phone I would trust to get off Craigslist since its not likely to be stole or from an unpaid contract but you should make sure they are unlocked. Or at least from a telus family compay by testing a pm sim card in them.

@Winning247 wrote:

Is public mobile planning to offer flip phones? I wanted to get one for my dad and he doesn't need a smartphone.

no flip phones for now.. as you see.. the latest Samsung offered is still S10 which were like 2 years old phones.    The first Samsung Z Flip was released in 2020.. so, maybe any year before you will see it on PM CPO list?

But again, no one can predict future.  If too many old flips returned, maybe it will join the CPO list sooner

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Winning247 : Nobody here can possibly foresee what the company is planning for the future. The link provided shows no flip phones...but I'm sure you knew that already.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Winning247 wrote:

Is public mobile planning to offer flip phones? I wanted to get one for my dad and he doesn't need a smartphone.

@Winning247 

review

purchase Phone (publicmobile.ca)

Need Help? Let's chat.