Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certified Pre-Owned Community Picks: Closed

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Thank you to everyone who participated in our first Community Picks! 

We've closed the voting polls and will return on Wednesday, November 3, to share the winning phone you want added to our Certified Pre-Owned Catalogue.

Stay tuned! 

- Public Mobile Team

-------------

Hey Community, 

We’re back with another round of Community Picks! 

What is Community Picks?

Since we started offering CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) phones, there’s been a growing number of customers asking for more options to choose from. This has sparked our interest to find out which CPO phones you would like to see added to our catalogue for a limited time, at a special discounted price!. 

Our Certified Pre-Owned phones are refurbished phones that are tested, inspected, cleaned and re-packaged to look and function like new. Because of this, we are able to offer them at a price you and your wallet will love.

Vote for your Community Picks choice:

We want to hear from you! We have chosen 3 great phones, but we need your input on which one will be the newest addition to our Certified Pre-Owned catalogue

How to Vote:

Visit this link and select your favourite CPO phone. Voting will close on November 1  

CPO Phone Picks

• Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S9
  • LG G8X ThinQ Single Screen

Once voting has closed, the phone with the most votes will be crowned the Community Picks winner, and will be included in our CPO Catalogue with a discount for a limited time only. We’ll announce the winning device and offer details in a follow-up post. Stay tuned!

- Public Mobile Team

45 REPLIES 45

@on2wheels wrote:

The LG phone is up for sale so I guess the secrets' out?

Really??? that many of us picked the LG?  or LG is getting rid of their stocks and give PM a deal that cannot resist?

On a side note, the Huawei P40 is commonly known to not have Google play services installed from factory, are the ones sold by PM able to use the Play store as recieved?  

I realize you can sideload the app but that's not the question. 😎

No, I am not touching it even it is free.. LoL

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The LG phone is up for sale so I guess the secrets' out?

On a side note, the Huawei P40 is commonly known to not have Google play services installed from factory, are the ones sold by PM able to use the Play store as recieved?  

I realize you can sideload the app but that's not the question. 😎

@Pawprints1986 

it depends, when I get home from work the phone is usually around 30-40%. if I'm going out right away I'll charge it. otherwise I'll leave it till 2 hours before bedtime. I try to keep it above 20%. 

it's all about calibration. overtime your phone will start seeing your battery as 50% capacity because it's been used only at those levels(40-80) for so long. causing it to drain faster when they are above and below those levels.

@darlicious 

I thought so...

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gpixel How low do you let it run before plugging in ? My last phone, as the battery was user replaceable, I ran my ol Samsung captivate glide until the software literally stopped working with most apps 😂 at times opening a longer text made it freeze and that was my stopping point lol

My main device is rooted, but I do have a tablet which is not rooted but I still have twrp on it. I like to make complete backups every so often. I'm looking into rooting but keeping bootloader locked, since I still run Samsung software anyway. Some apps, even games (?), know now somehow if your device is rooted and won't run at all. I can trick the ones that check only at the software level, but the ones looking at the bootloader, at least currently there's no fooling it. Adb might work but I don't think it'd let you disable certain processes of an app without disabling the whole app. but haven't looked into it yet

@gpixel 

The bonus account with full 4G LTE only consistently hit 60mbps. Unfortunately the last time I reactivated the unthrottled 4G LTE was gone....I have another account I will test day 30 as it only has the 250mb of plan data. Won't be testing the $10 plan account anytime soon....

I remember picking virgin mobile over the cheaper alternatives because I thought cheaper was inferior and 3g was an old slow tech. I did some research and realized full speed lte 200mb+ is more than anyone would ever need. I started looking for data saving techniques and realized when watching videos. lte was so fast it had downloaded most of the videos or buffered a huge amount even if I watched only 10 seconds of it. this is what led me to look into the small 3 and eventually landed at pm with the best plan any provider can offer. this plan I'm currently on is unmatched and can't be beat...

I disagree with the 3mb throttle. it's way too slow and it's not even a consistent... you would think it's throttled to 3mb all the time, but it's not. it still depends on your signal quality wether you will reach that 3mb. I don't even think pm provides full lte speed to the customers with full lte plans. it's still throttled to half the speed at 100mb or lower. can anyone test this theory? at virgin I would hit 220mb easily

LeePublic

@darlicious 

Agreed 100%. I've been with the 3G speed carriers for the past two and a half years.(Chatr, Lucky and now Public.) Never noticed a speed drop or difference other than downloading a big file on the go. (usually leave those for home) I have no intention to upgrade to faster speeds unless the carriers increase the data caps or a too good to be true offer comes along. Even if I upgrade to a 5G enabled phone, I will disable 5G as the 3rd tier carriers will likely not get increased speeds anytime soon.

5G is just fine for the suckers willing to pay for it. Wow you can download an HD movie to your phone in one second. It's no wonder you need a 25gb plan for your phone. I don't see the point unless your phone is the size of a big screen tv. My phone is a phone. Oh and my camera happens to have the ability to call and text neither of them will need the 5G network. The 5G network is being built for business and for those subscribers duped into helping pay for it in order to keep up with the Johnson and Johnson's of the world!😎

@Wonder_why wrote:

@softech 

You stay with 4G 😂

Plans (publicmobile.ca)

2.5 GB 

Data¹ at 3G speed 🤣

I know clearly that I am on a 4G network with data capped at 3Mps.  Technically, this speed is slower than a true 3G speed. I don't see any problem with my day to day browsing.  I don't download HD movies.  i might watch some YouTube clip.  Very rarely I watched some Netflix on decent resolution, not 4K.   I am all fine with these activities.  This is the exact point I am saying.  I am good with my 4G and I don't need the fancy 5G.  Definitely not need to pay extra just get the latest and greatest.  🙂

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Certified Pre-Owned Community Picks! Vote Now - Oct 25

at the moment, I don't see the need for 5G network.  Yes, it's a nice to have but it's nothing wrong to stay with 4G.  So, I think most people are perfectly ok to have 4G phones on 4G network.

@softech 

You stay with 4G 😂

Plans (publicmobile.ca)

2.5 GB 

Data¹ at 3G speed 🤣

Namu

My old LG has served me well. I might consider the new one if it was offered 

jivetalker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't really want to vote for any of them but if I had to I guess the S10. How about something "outside the box"? Or a rugged phone?

at the moment, I don't see the need for 5G network.  Yes, it's a nice to have but it's nothing wrong to stay with 4G.  So, I think most people are perfectly ok to have 4G phones on 4G network.

Wonder_why

All those phone will not support 5G Network and over price 

my 2 cents by end of the year most franker brand will 

have 5G Network not sure about PM because is third tier

Koodo/Fibo/Virgin will have 5G 

@Pawprints1986 

I usually charge to 95-97 all the time with the occasional 100. my battery still holds 100 after 30min to 1 hour after pulling the charger off. just like day one(November 2019). that recommendation is only if you're planning on keeping the battery for 10+ years. 

yes TWRP it up. easy 👍 

I stopped playing with that stuff when I found out how dangerous it really is. you're basically an open system. open door no locks

all i use now is ADB commands to delete some Google stock apps on my phone. 

Pawprints1986

@gpixel So, with what you're saying, is it actually a better idea now to allow cycles of fuller charges and more drain, regularly? I had read somewhere that keeping between roughly that range (I think they recommended between 40% and 80%) would help the battery itself ultimately last longer. Is that not true anymore with today's batteries? I did read it a number of years ago, it's just kind of become habit. That and I've heard total discharges until screen off can be bad for it... 

As for clearing battery data, I think I do the same thing via twrp, by deleting batterystats.bin right from the system in file manager within twrp lol

@Pawprints1986 

I've heard that means letting the battery totally die and then charging to 100% full. Is that what you're referring to?

yes. you need to do it at least twice.

• charge to 100 then drain to 0
  • keep phone turned off then charge till the phone says 100
  • unplug the charger and turn on the phone. if it's not at 100 when you turn the phone on then plug it back in until it's at 100. then unplug and drain to 0
  • repeat steps 2-3 1 more time

if you're still experiencing quick discharges. then repeat it one more time

keeping the phone inbetween 30-90 ranges is what causes the memory issue in the software. and why your device drains quickly below 30%. because you rarely use your device at those levels, the software thinks your battery only has capacity up to those levels

for android also clear the cache and memory on the 'device health services app' this holds info on your battery. not sure if iPhone has something similar. I'm pretty sure they do. you would have to google it though

this is why gaming laptops have battery calibration tools. 

Pawprints1986

@gpixel Can you explain how you mean, recalibrate? I've heard that means letting the battery totally die and then charging to 100% full. Is that what you're referring to?

That said I've never noticed much change when I've done that. I normally try to stick between about 30% and 90% but sometimes, maybe once a month, I'll need more heavy usage or get distracted with something when charging and it's at 100% already. I find for some reason once I hit 30% it discharges faster, even without heavy use but I can't plug it in yet for whatever reason

That's a whole lot of ramble about battery !Lol

The days of user replaceable batteries were awesome! I'd much rather that than the water proof because I still don't even trust it. Fear I got the one that didn't seal properly and I'd be out 500$ (bought it outright brand new couple years ago)

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I pick Samsung s10 which is tested and working with audio streaming hearing aids using the new Android ASHA protocol.  Although the Samsung s9 also supports the ASHA protocol, but it is an older phone.

carlaspapa

I hear the LG has the best sound for listening to music with headphones. So that's my vote.

@Irenetao 

all you need to do is recalibrate your battery. I do this everytime there is a big software update (1gb plus). or at least once every 4 months or so. 

the only way this fix will not work is if one constantly drains their battery till the device shuts off. 

@chukdefatey wrote:

@pkaraa  A link to bestbuys.ca would have helped.  Having said that chances are the bestbuy.ca s10 is most likely being sold by a Scummy Market Place seller with restocking fee and pretty much no warranty. 

@chukdefatey   Sorry, will disagree on your assessment of Market Place sellers on BB.  Have bought some items through a few of these sellers and, so far, I'm quite satisfied with the orders, delivery and price. 

Of course, YMMV and some due diligence is needed beforehand.

chukdefatey

@pkaraa  A link to bestbuys.ca would have helped.  Having said that chances are the bestbuy.ca s10 is most likely being sold by a Scummy Market Place seller with restocking fee and pretty much no warranty. 

Irenetao
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Very much the Samsung S10! Definitely an awesome phone, great storage and quick run time! The only downfall is the battery, after using it for a while, battery drains out more quickly and needs recharging more often. But hey, which phone doesn't? 

@darlicious wrote:

@Pete23 

No kidding....then we could actually vote on which phone will make it in the line up?😃

Remember the "winning" phone will be offered at a promo price for a short time.  So even if it is on the list now it could get a lower sale price if it wins.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Pete23 

No kidding....then we could actually vote on which phone will make it in the line up?😃

Pete23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Could there be a fourth option?

pkaraa

S10 from that list.

will vote from home as the voting site is locked at work. 

bestbuy sell preowned S10 for the same price though.

LeePublic

@0PX9O4 I think the LG G8X ThinQ is eligible for Android 11. 

on2wheels

Why do we need to be signed into google docs to vote? Is fraud really that much of a problem here?

Need Help? Let's chat.