cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada’s Alert Ready + Test Alert Schedules

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update: To view the alert schedule for your province or territory please click here

Hey Community,

We wanted to let you know about an upcoming SMS you will receive regarding Alert Ready. Alert Ready will broadcast emergency alerts to inform you of critical or potentially life-threatening situations that require immediate attention to keep you and your family safe. As of April 6, 2018, Canada’s Alert Ready service will be available to compatible mobile devices. To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

911onFire
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Never said it was unimportant, but we are bombarded with a lot of other needless "news" such as what a celebrity names their kid. I've volunteered with search and rescue teams before, work on a S&R team, and work with rescue companies. I'm not disregarding life safety by any means. 

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When it comes to an amber alert on a child, I welcome any and all alerts. I do not find them intrusive whatsoever. If it inconveniences me, then i should perhaps have a long hard look at myself and ask myself what's really important in life. Receiving an alert about an abducted child far outweighs the inconvenience of receiving an alert. If it was my child I would certainly hope that your receiving an alert isn't too intrusive. An alert for a missing child from a location 15 hours away, may save that child 15 hours from now.

GC

911onFire

My CP24 app alerted me of the exact same details, 5 seconds later, with photos, without the alarming intrusiveness as someone else mentioned. I'd prefer this, as it is still quite far away.

If it was in a more immediate vicinity, I would have no issues with the urgency of the emergency alsrt.

andrewroth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm glad I'm not the only a bit confounded by this.

Frankly, I'm not interested in alerts that are not within maybe an hour or two drive from where I am.  I found the alert quite intrusive in terms of user interface and sound, and I don't think that was warranted for the scope of this situation, no doubt serious, that is a 17+ hour drive away from where I am right now.

@911onFire, I can agree to a point with you on this, however an abducted child is extremely an emergency issue that needs to be wide spread.

If this person gets out of the Thunder Bay area, next stop could be Winnipeg, Sault Ste. Marie, etc...

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Double post OOPs !

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stonechucker me tooScreenshot_20180514-115657_Messages.jpg

911onFire

I thought it was supposed be nearby alerts... This Gorham is 1482km away (14-15hr drive away).. just curious. Not to put down the concern, but if they blast out these alerts too frequently for far away events, people might start ignoring them, and the importance of these alerts might get degraded. 

@dna2016, this is by design, to notify as many people as possible.

The only way the supported devices are not to get the message, is if they are physically powered off.

smp99

Yes - I just got the actualy alert. Loud.

This is a game changer for churches, theatre, various business meetings. I wonder how in sync they are across multiple carriers

ronster
Didn't get the test alert but got a real alert few minutes ago... so it's working 🙂

dna2016

Just got the alert a couple minutes ago, using an LG G5.  This alert is crazy loud, and my volume was actually on mute but it still rang and my phone vibrated.  That's pretty interesting how although I set my settings to silent, they're still able to make it sound and vibrate.  So much for having control.

Amber alert - Ontario Provincial Police looking for a 47 Year old woman who is suspected of abducting her 8 y/o son.

Ghorman (sp??) County.  I don't have all the details.

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

amber alert

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker I received it today too for the Amber alert but not the test on the iphone x

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker oh wow, what's the emergency?  Everything okay?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

UPDATE : I just got an emergency alert on my Nexus 5 (supposed to be unsupported) at about 11:35 AM in Ontario today, on the Public Mobile network.

THis was an actual emergency alert, and not a test.

I did not receive the test Alert for Ontario last week.

GreatCanadian

@dnewf, I'm in Newfoundland as well. Got the alert at 2:05 PM yesterday. My phone is Essential PH-1.

GC 

dnewf

Still nothing here! In Newfoundland on my s7 on lte. With PM.No wifi just LTE

jp2

I'm in Alberta and didn't recieve the alert 

A few coworkers who are on Fido/Koodo all got the alert. But apparently, one of my coworker received it 20 mins late because he was surfing with the Wind Smiley LOL

specialK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Asked my friend who's using an iPhone 6s on Fido, he said mobile data was disabled and he still got the alert.

koimr1

@NDesai wrote:

@koimr1 wrote:

Actually, yes it does:

3. Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued.

This is from https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/ 

What i think of that point is that your phone must be connected to a LTE network (band 7 for example). With PM, we are on LTE network and not on 2G or 3G only. It does not specifically say that your data must be turned on. 

They cannot do it like this. Just think about it, there are many people who keep their data off. 

I get what you're saying - this should work as long as the LTE network itself is available regardless if your mobile data is on or not. Sounds reasonable. 🙂

EDIT: A quick search backs you up! Cell Broadcast is its own protocol and independent of mobile data. This is why you are an Oracle! 🙂

specialK

@NDesai wrote:

@koimr1 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@brent_liza Yes, but LTE/data doesnt have to be turned on. 

Actually, yes it does:

3. Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued.

What i think of that point is that your phone must be connected to a LTE network (band 7 for example). With PM, we are on LTE network and not on 2G or 3G only. It does not specifically say that your data must be turned on. 

They cannot do it like this. Just think about it, there are many people who keep their data off. 

Yeah, that was what I was suspecting.

@koimr1 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Actually, yes it does:

koimr1

@raulg wrote:

@koimr1 wrote:

Actually, yes it does:

I didn't my data connected at the time and I got the test alert today.

You're the third person here to say something similar so this is kinda weird (see @specialK's and @NDesai's messages above mine).

Were you in airplane mode or have your mobile data explicitly disabled? Which device do you have?

I'm not doubting anyone, btw - I even read one person's account on the Koodo forum that he got the alert on his 3G phone so I'm just curious as to what the actual details are. The alertready site and various carrier FAQs all echo the similar "LTE must be on" requirement.

raulg

@koimr1 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Actually, yes it does:

I had my data connection disabled at the time and I still got the test alert today.

koimr1

@NDesai wrote:

Actually, yes it does:

specialK

In BC, had no issues receiving the alert even though mobile data was disabled in Android. Using Essential PH-1 if that matters.

Need Help? Let's chat.