cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada’s Alert Ready + Test Alert Schedules

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update: To view the alert schedule for your province or territory please click here

Hey Community,

We wanted to let you know about an upcoming SMS you will receive regarding Alert Ready. Alert Ready will broadcast emergency alerts to inform you of critical or potentially life-threatening situations that require immediate attention to keep you and your family safe. As of April 6, 2018, Canada’s Alert Ready service will be available to compatible mobile devices. To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NDesai wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@NDesai yeah, LTE connection is required.  I wonder, if you turn the LTE back on, will you get the alert after the fact?  Or do you just miss it entirely?

Just tried turning on data on Bell iPhone SE and didn't get anything. 

I don't think LTE is required. If true, then a lot of people can miss this alert. 

I usually have my data turned off, mostly to conserve battery.  If the alert doesn't come at all even after LTE is turned on, then I guess I'll just have to be alerted by people around me scrambling as the meteor hits.  Smiley LOL

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

LTE is required. Here is the information from alertready

https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/

tarting April 6th, in addition to TV and Radio, Alert Ready will be sending life-threatening emergency alerts to cell phones and wireless devices that are compatible with Wireless Public Alerting (WPA). In order for emergency alerts to be received on a wireless device, three conditions must be met. The wireless device must be:

1. An LTE-device like a smartphone (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”)
  2. Wireless public alerting (WPA)-compatible
  3. Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued.

@srlawren wrote:

@NDesai yeah, LTE connection is required.  I wonder, if you turn the LTE back on, will you get the alert after the fact?  Or do you just miss it entirely?

Just tried turning on data on Bell iPhone SE and didn't get anything. 

I don't think LTE is required. If true, then a lot of people can miss this alert. 

srlawren

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Just got the alert on Public Mobile (LTE and WiFi on). But I didn't get it on Bell iPhone SE (LTE off).

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I just got an alert at 1:55pm Mountain Time

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The emergency alert test worked on my phone 15 minutes ago! (from Alberta). 

dnewf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sure do not look that way! I hope if they consider the time zones!! We are 2.5hrs from ONT. Like I said my 2 friends got their from Bell at 2.10pm . I heard on the news last night that Newfoundland was suppose to get alerted at roughly 1.55pm today. Theirs worked.

yerxa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Everyone at work got the alert today... Except me. Are we sure PM is supported? 

dnewf

No alert in Newfoundland on my phone. I was on LTE too!  My two friends are with Bell theirs alerts came in at 2.10pm today . All three of us was on lLTE no wifi either. So whats up?

@srlawren Nope. We will see how the test goes today at 1:55 PM.

srlawren

Weirdly, my Koodo line got a test alert this morning:

Screenshot_20180508-113451.jpg

This is about 26 hours early, since BC is not supposed to be tested until 1:55PM tomorrow (May 9th).  Weird.

I notice @canucks4life also reported (in the Koodo community) receiving the test alert right around the same time I did.

Did anyone in BC on PM get one late this morning??

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@makkahn28 there are glitches.  It affected people across the Telus family, not just PM.  

Marchibald

Pm network is supported. 

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I haven't gotten any Alert so far, Either my Moto G5 Plus is Not compatible, or The Co. Responsible for the Alert has more Glitches to Itch out

brent_liza

I have the Iphone X, and it was on. I have the most up to date software on it also.

Only specific devices connected to LTE would receive the alert.  PM has said this network is ready for it.

My Nexus 5 is not a selected device to receive these alerts, there I did not get the alert.

What phone do you have?

Also, if the phone was turned off, you would not get the alert.  If your phone is not capible of LTE connection, I also believe you woulld not get the alert.

brent_liza

No, I wasn't. It uses a different frequency so it would still have come through. I did ask a moderator and all they sent me was a link to CBC stating that there were problems in Ontario and Quebec. No further information provided.

Marchibald

We're you on WiFi at the time? I heard rumour that if you were hooked to WiFi, and not your wireless network you wouldn't receive it?

brent_liza

I did not receive my text message from the Test Alert. Was there a problem or is our network not supported? We were supposed to receive one on 07-05-2018 at 13:55

Marchibald

I personally think it's a great idea. Everyone nowadays are close to their phones. What better way to get a serious mass message out there. If you are in some kind of imminent danger you would want to be the first to know. If it were your child missing you'd want everybody know as quickly and as soon as possible. What better way to accomplish this.

Wonder_why

@MoreYummy yes a must 

Do you need to connect to LTE to receive the alert?

Ionut

I do recieved the alert. From Asus Zenfone 4 Pro. 

Wonder_why

@makkahn28 wrote:

@Mary_M, I have NOT received the alert myself

Mary_M will not able to help you @makkahn28,is not the error from her end

@Mary_M, I have NOT received the alert myself

shartomjam

Thanks for the update @Mary_M.  I guess they have a few things to figure out in order for it to work the way it was intended.  I did not receive the message either.  Interesting that it was a "hit and miss" scenario.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

The issue with Ontario is the same; it was a "hit and miss". This actually was not a network issue with Telus - here's a news article I found online with more details.

If I learn more, I will definitely update the thread!!

Thank you all 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

rwboyd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That doesn't explain why most of these issues are from Ontario rather than Quebec. 

911onFire

Same

Need Help? Let's chat.