cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST NOW CLOSED - Three Cheers for Bargains! It’s Thrift Shop Day!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

P2300_PUBLICMOBILE_Banner_ThriftStore_DESIGN_V3B_Apr27_Apr30.png

Happy Thrift Shop Day! Once a year we celebrate the second-hand stores that fill our lives with knickknacks, retro clothes, hidden treasures, and relics of the past (Is that a VHS player? Yes, yes it is.). How amazing does it feel to find a leather jacket for five dollars, when it originally cost a hundred? How do you feel when everyone at the Christmas party is jealous of your ugly sweater? Good – that’s how. Thrift stores are where we go when we need a little shopping therapy but don’t want to spend the big bucks. So go forth, thrift well, and be prepared with these hot thrift shopping tips:

1. Dig through the bins. Most people scan the top and miss out on all the buried gems below. Roll up your sleeves, dive in, and we promise you’re going to find something good at the bottom.
  2. You can alter items with a little creativity. Sure those jeans look funky as pants, but with the help of some scissors all of a sudden you have yourself a pair of trendy jean shorts. Keep those creative juices flowing when you’re rifling through the rack.
  3. Shop when the seasons change. Think about it. When winter turns to spring people are cleaning out their closets and donating all the items that have been cluttering up the basement. Hit the thrift, because it’s going to be a goldmine!
  4. Shop a lot. Like any pursuit, there are good days and bad days. Some days, you’ll search the shelves and not find anything that piques your interest. No big deal. Come back in a couple days and you’re sure to find something marvelous.
  5. Load up on jewelry. Let’s face it, most people can’t tell the difference between the real stuff and the fake stuff, so why not pay five bucks for some faux pearls? Plus, thrift stores are great for finding vintage jewelry like eclectic broaches and dazzling rings.

Here at Public Mobile we’re all about that thrift life, which is why our plans start as low as $10/month. And hey, want a little extra money for the next time you go thrifting? Enter our contest! Just comment below with your best thrift store find by Friday, August 24th at 12:00PM EST and we will randomly select three winners to win a $50 Public Mobile credit! As Macklemore once famously said, “I’m gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket,” but if you choose Public Mobile you’ll have a little more than that.

Spoiler

Public Mobile Thrift Shop Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1. HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share their best thrift store find on the Public Mobile Community post. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

If your entry contains a person, other than the entrant, by entering the contest, you state that you have obtained consent from everyone in the photo. If your photo contains a minor (under the age of 18) parental or legal guardian consent is required.

Contest runs August 17 to August 24, 2018 at 12:00pm ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded. Each winner will receive the following prize:

One-time $50 Public Mobile account credit

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile or cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about August 24 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form. If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

2. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation. Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

3. OTHER
    All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified. Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

100 REPLIES 100

Dz11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The best and worst thing that I ever got at a thrift store was an amazing pair of fluevog unisex boots that were in my sons size and both my daughter and I wished they were in our size. 

The worst part is that my sons not so adventurous and wouldn’t wear them so sad 

Nolan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I found two copies of Dead End Drive.  I needed both to make a complete set.  I picked them up years ago for the nostalgia.  Now I have two children and it is their favourite board game.  

@Bluesnoopy wrote:

Nike Air Max shoes in great condition for $9

My go to basketball shoes during school. Thank you Charles Barkley lol

DL00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A down filled winter coat for $20. It's so warm!

MacMe

I got an awesome Logitech Harmony remote for only $5 🙂

bf7

I found some old pokemon games that they no longer sell in stores. All of them were $5 😄

mesalc

I donate to the Salvation Army quite a bit.  Hopefully others have found great bargains from my donations.

bbdata
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I once found a complete set of collector toys still in their original packaging. The child in me was ecstatic. 

Pedro_H

A Clay pottery mug that has been in use for over 5 years now. 🙂

Bluesnoopy

Nike Air Max shoes in great condition for $9

Ciph

Of all stuff I've bought, my best find to date is an Andrew Fezza topcoat for 20 bucks I rummaged from a Village des Valeurs a few years ago. Although the removable inner liner was missing, the coat itself is in excellent condition. Still wearing it whenever an opportunity presents itself. Hopefully, I can continue using it for life.

atashi-chan

I don't thrift shop much but I have this super cute long vintage skirt that I bought maybe 8 years ago that is still in perfect condition and goes with almost anything. Clothes from back then seem to be so much more durable and good material.

Mr-Bump

A massive Brio train set collection in wonderful condition for around $10. My Son plays with it all the time.

Ilovecats

I bought an unopened model kit from the Six Million Dollar Man TV Series for only $0.50 U.S as they were closing their store. 

kelly0032003

An outfit for my stepdaughters wedding rehersal that cost me $5.00

TMS

A Stars Wars action figure of WEEQUAY wit freeze frame 20 years ago!

skifan

Picked up an old Sony Walkman for $10.....a bit of investigating on-line revealed that it was a 25 year silver anniversary model.....worth much more on the market.  Yay!!!   Donated some $$ back to the Hospital Society running the store.

Arachide

Great finds for clothing at the thrift store.

Found a good quality pair of designer jeans for $12 and a brand new MEC Sweater for my daughter to go camping.

Missashleyann29

My favorite thrift store find is when the kids clothes is on sale for 1$ a piece. I was able to basically get my 3 kids a new wardrobe each for 100$ which is amazing!

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

A couple months ago my wife wanted me to make this obstacle course for our puppy. I am at the Restore(ran by Habitat for Humanity) looking for stuff to make it and I found a set of Vice Grip brand pliers in great shape for $1 each and to boot I didn't get in trouble for buying more tools because I found a 25 ft piece of 24 inch collapsable heating duct for heating construction sites for $10. Made the perfect tunnel for our puppy to navigate...win win!

ty_89

I found a Pebble smart watch at a Thrift store for only $15.

Thrift Stores and Garage Sales are my two most favorite things to do durring the Spring and Summer.

giaboni

Found an awesome 12V 75 Watt car inverter for $5 at a garage sale that now lets me charge my laptop in my car!

jamsham

I just got a 128 GB SD card for camera for only $4! On top of that I found a super nice blue baseball jersey for casual wear for only $15. All at Value Village. It's a good day.

Jbdobson11

A terrifying home made drawing of a clown, with burnt edges, lacquered to a piece of plywood.

Found it with my brother, he gave it to my girlfriend for Christmas (They intentionally trade terrible gifts)

danlee

A Vitamix found in the thift store. WoohooOO!!!

McLaren
At the local Goodwill few years ago there was a complete NES action system complete with light gun and duck hunt/super mario bros and with the original box. However, they knew this would be worth quite a bit and held an auction. Never found out what the final price was but there was probably no deal to be had.

Anyways ended up with some old N64 games... that was my best find.

ksmithtwc

I usually look out for the tech stuff - a couple of weeks ago I found a wireless home phone adapter, which I threw a Public Mobile SIM into, and use as a home phone! Best for value and service.

mikessime

THREE great fitting shirts for work. Saved like $150!

shadowbanker

I really like to read books, all kind of books. So the best thrift I found was visiting a university bookstore in the fall. I found a brand new history hard cover book published maybe 2 years prior about the sinking of the Lusitania. They were looking to get rid of it so I paid $4. I bought it on a whim. I went to Amazon later to check out the reviews and noticed the same book sells for $40. And it turned out to be a very good book! So this represents like 90% discount. Since then I visit university book stores regularly, lots of bargains on brand new books.

JamesN

I found a drinks globe (similar to this) for $75 recently and a gorgeous sake set for 50 cents

Need Help? Let's chat.