cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST NOW CLOSED- Let Your Inner Nerd Out, It’s Embrace Your Geekness Day!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

7 - JulyEN (1).png

Somewhere along the line being labelled as a geek became a bad thing. We don’t agree with that and that’s why we’re honoring Embrace Your Geekness Day! Take today to celebrate those hobbies and interests you’re absolutely obsessed with. Whether it’s comic books, computers, romance novels, or bird watching, today is the day for you to do you. Here are a few reasons we think being a geek is great:

1. It Means You’re Passionate About Something

Some people have no hobbies to obsess over! It’s beautiful when you find an interest you could spend endless hours on. 

2. It Means You’re Being True to Yourself

Ever seen those people doing an activity just because it’s seen as the “cool” thing to do? That’s not you. You’re not afraid to stick to your guns and say, “Who cares if I collect socks that were worn by celebrities?” 

3. Geeks Build Amazing Things

The world runs on products that geeks create. Every time people use their phones or laptops they should have to whisper a thank you to the geeks who invent them. 

4. Geeks are Dedicated

If you can put time into your hobby, it shows that you can put time into other areas of your life like work or school. Dedication is the first step to success and geeks are brimming with it.  

So take time today to shout your geekiness from a mountaintop. Plus, if you comment below by 12:00 pm ET on July 19 and tell us what you geek out about the most, we’ll randomly select three winners who will receive a $50 eGift card to Amazon. Hobbies need funding too right? Now go and get your geek on! Contest runs July 12 to July 19, 2019. Read Contest Rules before entering.

Contest Rules

Spoiler

Public Mobile Embrace your Geekness Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1. HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share what they geek out about the most on the Public Mobile Community post. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

If your entry contains a person, other than the entrant, by entering the contest, you state that you have obtained consent from everyone in the photo. If your photo contains a minor (under the age of 18) parental or legal guardian consent is required.

Contest runs July 12 to July 19, 2019 at 12:00pm ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded. Each winner will receive the following prize:

One (1) Amazon $50 eGift Card

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile for cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about July 19 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form. If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

2. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation. Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1. QUEBEC RESIDENTS

Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.

1. OTHER
    All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified. Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

90 REPLIES 90

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I love learning how Disney creates Magic in their theme parks! They are extremely well managed and use the latest in special effects tech and have so much history behind them! Smiley Happy

Degus222
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I geek out on stocks and economics...I spend way too much money going to economics conferences. 

kelvarnsen

I'm also the biggest geek for the tv show, The Office I have watched every season countless times and know every episode by heart! 

British Office or American Office?

mh1983

It sounds clichéd but I love to geek out on sci fi movies: the more obscure, weird, and thought provoking, the better. It started out with 2001, and I have been chasing down the diamonds in the rough ever since (more recently, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Alphaville, and Black Rainbow). My idea of the perfect Friday is getting comfy on my couch with my cat (Charlie), chips/a drink, and queuing up a sci fi movie or even two and just enjoying that for the evening.

andreasc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Alan_K I like to geek out on cooking. I find to build everything from scratch using the best ingredients and perfecting my own reciepes. The food im trying to perfect right now is ramen.

charlesgo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Settlers of Catan is awesome!

I love exploding kittens - they have expansion packs as well and a rated R version, pretty fun for adults

ooakosiryan

I geek out on board games!! I like all genres, especially ones with some light strategy, and using dice to fight is always fun! Here are some of my faves that I own:

• Champions of Midgard
  • Splendor
  • Century: Spice Road
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Coup
  • Resistance

I'd use the Amazon gift card to get others I've had my eye on:

• Mysterium
  • Dixit
  • Dream Home
  • Settlers of Catan

Anyone have fave board games I didn't mention? Always looking for new games to try!

Bananarama

I love podcasts, music, cartoons, puzzles, and cooking 🙂

zxcvbnm

I'm a word geek. Scanned and OCRed all 3112 pages of my dictionary and thesaurus so I could have them as searchable pdfs.

Profoundly tedious. Profoundly worth it.

sigydee

I love to geek out with creative foods....mixing all kinds of weird food types together that many people find strange.  I have a science to it, but it's probably more like mad-science!  😉

martybee

I geek out on saving money.  I meticulously study rewards points programs and other means of obtaining the best deals.  That's why I absolutely love Public Mobile!  Saves so much money!

Bubbly100

Okay so, I'm a big geek when it comes to my computer! Just ordered a bunch some new RAM, motherboard and cpu! Half the fun is opening up my PC and putting all the parts together. While the other half is anticipation and being nervous if everything was put in correctly haha.

I'm also the biggest geek for the tv show, The Office I have watched every season countless times and know every episode by heart! 

Bell3

I love to paint. 

CrankyAvocado

Love these!

CrankyAvocado

I'm a nerd for cooking, and watching Major Crimes, West Wing, Studio 60 and BSG.

schubie

i guess my geek thing over the last few years has been motorcycles, it's been great!

Fluvance

Actually, my "new" phone. I just broke my daily driver (OnePlus One), and while I wait for the replacement screen to arrive from China in a week, I dug around in my box of old phones. I usually got these as a kid by asking cell phone stands in the mall if they have any old phones people were throwing away, so I could take them apart.

And it just so happens that one single phone in the box, a flip phone from 2011, had 3G capability. So, a chat with Rogers support and an unlock code later, I now have a temporary phone that brings back nostalgia! With full, key-controlled-cursor based internet browsing!

Well, somewhat fitting I guess.... I am a Phone Geek. Not really cell phones though, good old hardwired phones. I started collecting old phones when I was maybe 12 and I am 62 now so it’s my 50th anniversary! For the last couple of years I have been selling off duplicates to get my collection under control. 37.5 years with BCTel/Telus but I am retired now since 2013. BE35BFAD-386B-498D-ABE3-B484740479B6.jpegA3C77ACE-2C4E-4130-B1FD-3FE54D3230B0.jpegEA916033-91ED-4AC3-B502-21B7031E0364.jpeg45A82830-4500-4FAF-8854-47E973B184A1.jpegCACBC7C8-8B42-40FE-9EBA-D2D79B87C7DE.jpeg810416C7-9B32-424E-BE5F-CED9041B8EFB.jpeg

_rogue

Geeking out about harry potter is so fun! Nothing is better a good long conversation about harry potter. I can't wait for the 4th illustrated edition to come out!

Also being a super techie I love me some hardware. Having a complete overkill home network that I can tinker with is such a great way to kill a Saturday afternoon. Plus who doesn't appreciate solid fast wifi?

Jonavin

I am fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Bell3

I love to cook all day.

Bigpointguy

Learning how to make better use of my smart phone by questioniong anyone who I think can help me. I'm and old geek Smiley Surprised 

Nef

I mostly geek out about gaming, particularly Path of Exile. Cat Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Computers, computer, computers.  I work on one all day, then I come home and spend more time in front of a computer.  It's either that, or take appart old electronics.

BiplaneBlues

I geek out the moment when a particularly puzzling IT software/hardware issue is solved. It's a nice feeling when the spent time and effort goes rewarded.

dmbcanada

Learning new languages, spending way too much time on Ancestry!

Andre05

Technology in general. Love everything about this broad subject 😄

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What we geek out about the most. Pick one thing, when there is so much that people geek out about. How can we stick to one. If it was being a band, computers or politics who to just pick one.

chukdefatey

Mine is Technology 

Tav

Troubleshooting. I went from working in tech support for a decade troubleshooting cell phone, computers, TVs, VoIP, Internet and WiFi. Then I went to school to become an electrician. Now I am apprenticing and learning to troubleshoot electricity. 

Need Help? Let's chat.