cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST NOW CLOSED - Guac On! National Guacamole Day is Around the Corner.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

P2300_PUBLICMOBILE_Banner_Guacamole_DESIGN_V2_May3_May03.png

Break out the avocados, ladies and gentlemen, because this Sunday is – yep, you guessed it – Guacamole Day! Perhaps the most important holiday of the year, we should all take the time to celebrate by indulging in the king of dips. Guacamole is one of those rare tasty snacks you don’t have to feel guilty about eating, because it’s nutrient dense and packed with healthy fats. And that’s not all. Here’s a few fun guac facts, we bet you didn’t know:

1. An estimated 104.9 million pounds of avocados were consumed while watching the 2017 Superbowl. What are the chances it was just one guy?
  2. The world record for largest guacamole serving is 8,351 pounds. More than 350 people helped prepare the dip as part of Tancitaro’s 7th Annual Avocado Festival. That’s like the size of a small army, but for making guac.  
  3. Need potassium? Avocados have more of it than bananas. And, please don’t try and make guac using bananas.
  4. Avocados mature on a tree, but don’t ripen until after they are picked. That’s why you should always do the squeeze test at the grocery store. Nothing worse than having to wait five days to make guacamole.

Did you know any of those? If you did, you must be a guacagenius! We bet you have an awesome guacamole recipe up your sleeves, and we’d love to hear it! Comment below with your best guacamole recipe by Friday, Sept. 21st  at 12:00PM EST and we’ll randomly select three winners who will receive a President's Choice $50 Gift Card. That means if you win, no more passing up the green goodness because it’s extra! Have a great weekend and know that you’re a Guac Star.

CONTEST RULES 

Spoiler

Public Mobile Guacamole Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1. HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share their best guacamole recipe on the Public Mobile Community post. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

Contest runs September 14 to September 21, 2018 at 12:00pm ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded. Each winner will receive the following prize:

One (1) President's Choice $50 Gift Card

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile or cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about September 21 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form. If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.
  2. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation. Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.
  3. OTHER
    All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified. Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

54 REPLIES 54

zxcvbnm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
@Alan_K wrote:

WINNER GAGNANT! Congratulations to contest winners @demon1102@cappaj & @zxcvbnm

Thank you!

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@6500K wrote:

Nice!  Good job everyone.  I'll try your recipes at some point.  

Even the credit card ones!  lol

Nice!  Good job everyone.  I'll try your recipes at some point.  

demon1102
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you Man LOL

cappaj

@Alan_K wrote:

Woohoo, thanks @Alan_K and Public Mobile!

TMS

Congrats to the winners! 

smp99

congrats!

Alan_K

Haiggy

Here's my favourite recipe!

2 avocados

2 cloves of garlic

2-3 drops of young living lime+ essential oil

Add Salt and Pepper to taste

Mash avocados, mince garlic. Mix ingredients together!

Jasok

This is my favorite guacamole recipe:

Ingredients: 2 avacados (each sliced into half), some lemon juice, 1 chili, some salt and garlic, vegetable oil, mustard seeds, coriander and turmeric

How I prepare it: I mash the avacados along with the lemon juice, chili, salt, garlic. And I bake the mustard seeds in oil in a covered pan till they pop. Then I mix it all. 

Effort

The only time I ate guacamole in the past year, it was incredibly bitter because of all the lemon they used. It was an incredible turn off and I don't think I'll want to try it for a while. I don't know how it's made but basically avacado's squished with a bunch of stuff mixed in like onions, coriander, and etc.

jp2

1. Mash up

• 3 medium ripe avocados
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 medium tomatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoons lime juice

2. Enjoy 

DooFt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My best reciepe.

2-3 ripe avacodos

Half a sweet onion (FInely chopped)

1-2 Jalapinos

Celatro (1-2 sprigs minced)

one glarlic clove (Minced)

salt and peper to taste

Half a lemon (squeezed)

optional - half to 1 tomatoe (chopped)

TMS

Not a big fan of cilantro, and limes, so.....slice an avocado neatly on plate of pita chips. drizzle honey. dust with cinnamon.....much better than traditional guac!!! very simple. enjoy!!!

cappaj

The best I've ever made was some quickly mucked up avocado with a bit of onion, garlic and tomato. Wasn't the greatest but it did the trick!

recon9

This is what I do, usually without measuring anything:

Avocado

Squeeze of lime

Sour cream

garlic powder

cumin

Cilantro/tomatoes/onions if I have them.

JFF

INGREDIENTS

2 ripe avocados

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice or lemon juice

2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of minced red onion or thinly sliced green onion

1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced

2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped

A dash of freshly grated black pepper

1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped

Garnish with red radishes or jicama. Serve with tortilla chips.

JFF

INGREDIENTS

2 ripe avocados

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice or lemon juice

2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of minced red onion or thinly sliced green onion

1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced

2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped

A dash of freshly grated black pepper

1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped

Garnish with red radishes or jicama. Serve with tortilla chips.

rita12

Couple of ripe avocadoes, a little chopped red onion, a little chopped tomatoes, a few squeezes of lime, sprinkling of salt and pepper and done! Mmmm... need to go buy some chips now... 

Watoko

I love guac and make it all the time. I use the following ingredients:

• 2 avacados
  • salt
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • small amount of cilantro finely chopped (or herb of your choice)!
  • grated black pepper
  • 1/2 tomato, chopped

I find that the cilantro really provides a refreshing taste to it and freshly ground black pepper makes all the difference to give it that spice to accompany the lime juice zing.

I have also tried adding diced mangoes (because I love them), and it surprisingly works quite well.

MJN

I love my Guacamole this way:

• 2 Avocados, a little soft to touch but not too ripe, cut into 4 pieces
  • 1 Roma tomato cut into 2 pieces
  •  1/8 cup Red onion cut into small pieces
  • 1/8 cup Cilantro
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup Lime and lemond juice

Put them in a blender and mix until the texture you like.

Three good sized avocados, one lime, salt, bit of freshly ground black pepper, and 1/4 cup of finely chopped purple onion (or vidalia).  Make sure that the avocados are ground to a smooth consistency (details are everything in cooking).  The only problem with this recipe is that the end result only lasts less than 10 minutes due to voracious family members!

Don't forget to put the seeds in with the guac if you are not going to eat it right away; this will help the green stay green instead of oxidzing to brown.

szymon247

My best, fastest and often the cheapest recipe is taking a walk to my nearest Chipotle (or a Mexican restaurant nearby), ordering Guacamole as a side, and taking it home.

KellyD

My Guacamole recipe goes like this (super easy, no measuring) - one avocado, peeled and lightly mashed, 1/2 tsp of mayo, a squirt of mustard, a dash of salt and pepper, a dash of lime juice and mix.  Add a tsp of your favourite salsa at the end and lightly mix again!  Bam! Guacamole.

EdmondY

My favourite recipe involves going to the local restaurants and purchasing some!  But if I'm making it at home, I typically go for something quick and easy like this: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/135910/easiest-amazing-guacamole/ but I typically add a pinch of pepper for taste.

But I like eating more than cooking so I find myself going out instead more often and it's not to the grocery store...

Wongster94

One fascinating guacamole recipe I love includes (I don't think there is a name for it..maybe  Glazed Mango Guacamole dip):

Guacamole dip mixed with quinoa, mixed in with big chunks of mango and tad of honey to top it off. I don't know if people would find that tasty but it definitely is appealing to me!

glemlin

Fairly simple, couple avacados, mince half a small onion, add a bit of lemon or lime juice and a dash of salt.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@torontokris wrote:

Pre made and bought at a PC supermarket. Easy as 1 2 3

when the prize is a PC gift card

good one

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Pre made and bought at a PC supermarket. Easy as 1 2 3

Need Help? Let's chat.