cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST NOW CLOSED - Guac On! National Guacamole Day is Around the Corner.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

P2300_PUBLICMOBILE_Banner_Guacamole_DESIGN_V2_May3_May03.png

Break out the avocados, ladies and gentlemen, because this Sunday is – yep, you guessed it – Guacamole Day! Perhaps the most important holiday of the year, we should all take the time to celebrate by indulging in the king of dips. Guacamole is one of those rare tasty snacks you don’t have to feel guilty about eating, because it’s nutrient dense and packed with healthy fats. And that’s not all. Here’s a few fun guac facts, we bet you didn’t know:

1. An estimated 104.9 million pounds of avocados were consumed while watching the 2017 Superbowl. What are the chances it was just one guy?
  2. The world record for largest guacamole serving is 8,351 pounds. More than 350 people helped prepare the dip as part of Tancitaro’s 7th Annual Avocado Festival. That’s like the size of a small army, but for making guac.  
  3. Need potassium? Avocados have more of it than bananas. And, please don’t try and make guac using bananas.
  4. Avocados mature on a tree, but don’t ripen until after they are picked. That’s why you should always do the squeeze test at the grocery store. Nothing worse than having to wait five days to make guacamole.

Did you know any of those? If you did, you must be a guacagenius! We bet you have an awesome guacamole recipe up your sleeves, and we’d love to hear it! Comment below with your best guacamole recipe by Friday, Sept. 21st  at 12:00PM EST and we’ll randomly select three winners who will receive a President's Choice $50 Gift Card. That means if you win, no more passing up the green goodness because it’s extra! Have a great weekend and know that you’re a Guac Star.

CONTEST RULES 

Spoiler

Public Mobile Guacamole Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1. HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share their best guacamole recipe on the Public Mobile Community post. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

Contest runs September 14 to September 21, 2018 at 12:00pm ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded. Each winner will receive the following prize:

One (1) President's Choice $50 Gift Card

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile or cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about September 21 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form. If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.
  2. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation. Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.
  3. OTHER
    All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified. Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

54 REPLIES 54

MrMonk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Avacado, finely chopped onion lightly fried and cooled, paprika to taste, garlic powder to taste, diced fresh tomatoes, mix in a bowl and add ground black pepper. If you want hot Guacamole then add your fave hot sauce, sriracha, Franks, etc. It’s also nice with pickled onions, but some may not like this! 🥑 Enjoy!

zxcvbnm

1. Split open an avocado and remove the seed.

2. Whisper to the seed, "You'll never grow into a tree. You're going to decay in a landfill, worthless." Toss it unceremoniously in the trash.

3. Use your newfound sadism to pulverize the avocado into mush. Do not use a knife: You must effect this violence with your bare hands. Though if you have bear hands, they will also work.

4. Obtain a seven-year-old chocolate Easter bunny. Behead it.

5. Put the head in a separate bowl and drown it in peanut butter. Crunchy peanut butter. If you use smooth peanut butter, you are a failure and no one will ever love you.

6. Microwave the choco-peanut bunny head for five minutes, or until you no longer recognize the bunny.

7. Stir this weird gooey paste and add the mushed avocado.

8. Find your nephew with a peanut allergy and gloat that he will never taste your glorious guacamole. In lieu of salt, scoop up his tears and pour them into the bowl.

9. Add lime, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. Lots and lots of cilantro. The more cilantro you add, the more people will know you're an expert chef.

10. Pray, thanking the avocado seed and chocolate bunny for their sacrifices in conjuring this splendor.

11. Enjoy.

WhoSucks

My recipe is just an avocado, mashed chunky, half a limes juice, chopped coliander with salt and paprika for a little kick.

demon1102
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

avocados

lime juice

salt

cilantro

garlic

pepper

Dunkgirl

WORLDS BEST

2 very ripe avocados

Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup tomato, finely diced
1 green onion, thinly minced   

couple shakes of pepper (to taste)

2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel (or sea salt)

Peel and pit the avocados.

In a bowl, mash the avocado and lime juice with a fork.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Adjust the seasoning to taste, and serve.

VOILA

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not interested in clause 4.

I think this is a standard boilerplate clause used by marketing departments which reserve certain rights for advertising purposes.  This contest is so tiny that marketing would not waste time with meeting winners and doing a photo op. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not interested in clause 4.

3 avacode, 1/2 teaspoon suger 1 table spool lemon juice, 1 crushed onions, pinch of paprika, 1 bay leaf, 1 small crushed garlic, 1 crushed tomatoe

smp99

My favourite Guacamole is Salsa. Ya  - I don't really care for guacamole but I still wanted to enter.

youbme

A few years back, some friends hosted a guac-off party. There were some very interesting interpretations... Including one with grapes because they didn't have tomatoes, not as bad as it sounds...

For the record, my wife won the competition, she is of Mexican descent and grew up in California 😁

@mimmo wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

I don't think i have ever tried Guacamole. Come on people, give some recipe instead of recommending restaurant Smiley Happy

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14231/guacamole/ . it's got great reviews 🙂

Better yet,  we should all go and buy some presidents choice guacamole 🙂

I will go buy some PC guacamole if I can win some prize money to pay for it.  Smiley Very Happy

@NDesai wrote:

I don't think i have ever tried Guacamole. Come on people, give some recipe instead of recommending restaurant Smiley Happy

The customer base is so lacking in culinary and other creativity.  They are trying to steal my recipe!  You can maybe start by going to the local Chipotle.  Bring the antacid and a stomach pump just in case.  Smiley Tongue

youbme

@mimmo wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

There are lots of ways to make guacamole... But IMHO, cumin is the "secret" to bring out the flavours and if you like onion, go with green onion instead.

And for those buying it at the grocery store... Sorry, you haven't had real guacamole.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NDesai wrote:

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

My favourite recipe is a Harvey's Angus Burger, w/ bacon, cheese, onion, tomato, and BBQ instead of the guacamole.

Fries or rings on the side.

@mimmo wrote:

@Alan_K,  presidents choice gift card is this a possible  indication of a new  partnership public mobile  is slowly cultivating? 

Smiley Wink

mimmo

@will13am I guess it counts as @Alan_K called trips to Mexico a recipe:)

@Alan_K,  presidents choice gift card is this a possible  indication of a new  partnership public mobile  is slowly cultivating? 

Alan_K

@will13am wrote:

I am a lot better at eating guacamole than making it.  I don't know if this recipe meets criteria, the rules don't seem to clear enough.  My recipe involves getting out the visa card and visiting my favorite local Mexican restaurant, Cielito Lindo. 

@Alan_K, the contest rule link is pointing to this thread.  I assume there is a separate link full of rules that hopefully won't void my entry. 

I'm very familiar with that recipe too! Rules are in the spoiler Smiley Wink

youbme

Guacamole is a staple in our household, disappears quickly whenever it's made...

I keep it simple, 2-3 avocadoes spooned out into a bowl (must be ripe!), smashed to a mushy consistency. Squeeze one or two limes, add salt and cumin to taste and mix. Then dice tomatoes and cilantro if you wish to add (we often skip those when in a hurry).

On a side note, this Sunday the 16th is also Mexico's Independence Day! 🇲🇽

mimmo

Yeah my recipee is similar but I just go to my Mexican friends house who makes it. It's a lot cheaper than flying to Mexico 🙂

I find the most difficult part is getting ripe avocados. Typically at the store especially Costco they are super green and take 3-4 days to ripen

SD08

@will13am wrote:

I am a lot better at eating guacamole than making it.  I don't know if this recipe meets criteria, the rules don't seem to clear enough.  My recipe involves getting out the visa card and visiting my favorite local Mexican restaurant, Cielito Lindo. 

That sounds a lot like my recipe, except I use Mastercard.  LOL

Google is my friend...  <entering search terms>  guacamole recipe   Smiley Very Happy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Alan_K, the contest rule link is pointing to this thread.  I assume there is a separate link full of rules that hopefully won't void my entry. 

Need Help? Let's chat.