cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST NOW CLOSED- Calling All Brothers and Sisters, It’s Siblings Day!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

4 - AprilEN (1).png

Hey Community,

What is Siblings Day exactly? It’s a day when we celebrate our brothers and sisters and all that they do for us. A sibling can be so many things: best friend, babysitter, competitor for your parent’s attention, tormentor, person you laugh with the most. Often times they’re also the person who knows the most about you. Here are four things only your sibling will get about you:

1. How to Push Your Buttons

They grew up with you, so they know exactly what makes you tick. Whether it’s playing music too loud or bringing up that one time in 3rd grade you peed your pants, they know exactly how to annoy you.

2. Inside Jokes About Your Family
Only a sibling will understand how hilarious it is when you say, “Mom asked me how to Facebook today,” or, “Dad asked me who Drake was.” Plus, your sibling does an amazing impression of your uncle saying something inappropriate.

3. Your Weird Quirks
They were raised in the same house so they probably don’t find it weird that you also eat ice cream with a fork or can recite every line from your favourite movie. Don’t be afraid to eat French fries with mustard, your sibling will understand.

4. Your Secret Sibling Code
All siblings have their own secret language. Sometimes it’s words or phrases you used in your shared childhood. Other times just a wink, a nudge, or a cough will let you know exactly what they’re talking about.

So, take time today to give your sibling a call and tell them how much they mean to you. Plus, share a funny sibling story below by 12:00 PM ET on April 17, 2019 and we’ll randomly select 3 winners to receive a $50 account credit. Play nice now, nothing too embarrassing 😜. Contest runs April 10 to April 17, 2019. Read Contest Rules before entering.

-Public Mobile Community Team 

Contest Rules

Spoiler

Public Mobile Sibling day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1.        HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY  
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share their funny sibling story on the Public Mobile Community post. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted. In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

If your entry contains a person, other than the entrant, by entering the contest, you state that you have obtained consent from everyone in the photo. If your photo contains a minor (under the age of 18) parental or legal guardian consent is required.

Contest runs April 10 to April 17, 2019 at 12:00pm ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded.  Each winner will receive the following prize:

One-time $50 Public Mobile account credit

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile or cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about April 17 at 12:00PM ET. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form.  If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

2. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation.  Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1. QUEBEC RESIDENTS

Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.

1. OTHER
    All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified.  Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.
55 REPLIES 55

Kovaelin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories! There were some good, bad, and ugly ones.

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Congratulations to the winners @wfitzpatrick , @Subbanator96 and @TheOldVR ! 

Congrats to all the winners.

TheOldVR

@Alan_K wrote:

Congratulations to our winners this month: @wfitzpatrick , @Subbanator96 & @TheOldVR ! Thanks for playing everyone Smiley Happy

Thanks Public Mobile!!!!

Alan_K

Congratulations to our winners this month: @wfitzpatrick , @Subbanator96 & @TheOldVR ! Thanks for playing everyone Smiley Happy

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Ever time when somebody asked my baby brother 'who do you like more mom or dad' he would say ' i like myself the most'

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I use to torment my younger brother by making him hide under a lazyboy and then closing it on him.  Eventually, he grew and could no longer fit under it.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Loved doing those McDonald's runs.

BTW: What happened to all those McDonald's characters that I use to see in their restaurants (Ronald McDonald & Sundae, Grimace, Hamburglar, Birdie the Early Bird + The Fry Kids)?

McDonaldland_1986

WF123

I think it is great that Public Mobile has contests for members.  Thank you.

For the story, I just have a fond memory.  When I was young, a long time ago before I came to Canada, my older brother and I enjoyed going to nearby farms to pick up leftovers after the annual sugar cane and sweet potato harvests.  There was lots to go around.  We had good times doing that.

Ciph

I remember my youngest brother being at the age were he was fascinated with water and fire.

He loved playing with water; freezing and thawing it in myriads of ways and while also mixing different stuffs (sand, toys, salt, sugar, potato cubes, whatever fell under his hand and fancied his particular interest of the day) or just making things float and sink in tupperwares or steel bowls/pots of various sizes.

One summer, while of our parents and older siblings were out, he got the bright idea - at the time - to dump the some of the cereals boxes (mostly rice crispies, corn flakes and/or others) in the bathtub and the bathroom sink while filled with water. I was none the wiser and even played along enthusiastically since we were having fun.

It was only after we removed the rubber drain stopper from the bathtub and sink that the scale of the disaster dawned on us. Frantically, we scooped up whatever soggy mush we could while running back and forth to the kitchen garbage dripping all over and worried our parents could come anytime now (in the panicked scramble, we did not think of bringing the garbage closer or using a bigger bowl instead of our tiny hands).

Finally, I was able to use the plunger on the bathtub drain and clear away the jam. However, the sink was too high (shoulder height for me at the time) to use the plunger at a correct angle.

Suffice to say that I was stuck eating hot oatmeal for breakfast for the rest of the summer (no regret, he was full of joy).

TMS

Put on your boxing gloves, and get in the ring, sibling!!!

819cookie

Our secret sibling code was loon calls. which is where u use hand and put it in front of your mouth in a special shape and blow into it. The sound that comes out is like loons mainting. we would have different tunes for different codes, so of course you don't know what they are. 

And here's how to make a loon call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsbxazgiGfc

Subbanator96

My grandparents were going on a cruise to Hawaii one year so as their gift we dressed up in hula skirts and sang Mele Kalikima. They loved it so kuch they wanted us to do it at the big family party a couple of hours away. We started a tradition of a little dance number for a couple years, the last one was where my brother sang Blue Christmas, Elvis hips and all at about 11. Good times 🙂

@dna2016 wrote:

I don't have a sibling joke, but I do want to give a shout out to my older sibling for everything he did for me when we were younger.  I remember when he worked his first job at McDonald's he'd take a good portion of his money and we'd go to the Nike store and get basketball shoes/gear.  I'd be wearing the same pair of shoes for years and when I got to high school he realized I was a good player and I should upgrade to something better.  He definitely looked out for me when it came to sports, and I just want to take this time to thank him.

I think it's important that we not only share the fun times but also the times where our siblings' really looked out for us.  My example above may not seem like much, but at the time it definitely meant a lot.

Yes, it is important. Thanks for sharing your story.

SriS

Once during a Business game in my childhood, my elder brother tricked me to buy the fake currency for real currency.

dna2016

I don't have a sibling joke, but I do want to give a shout out to my older sibling for everything he did for me when we were younger.  I remember when he worked his first job at McDonald's he'd take a good portion of his money and we'd go to the Nike store and get basketball shoes/gear.  I'd be wearing the same pair of shoes for years and when I got to high school he realized I was a good player and I should upgrade to something better.  He definitely looked out for me when it came to sports, and I just want to take this time to thank him.

I think it's important that we not only share the fun times but also the times where our siblings' really looked out for us.  My example above may not seem like much, but at the time it definitely meant a lot.

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Your Secret Sibling Code .... Yeah what you trying to pull here. If we tell you our secret sibling code it would not be a secret sibling code. First rule of secret sibling codes.is that you don't talk about secret sibling code(s).

Metal1967

When my younger brother was around and I had friends over and wanted rid of him fo a while..used to elastic band a dollar to a bottle rocket and send him on a treasure hunt..😀

c70nut
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Went with my brother on a winery road trip on Long Island a few years eside back.  We were in the tasting room seated beside a guy and his wife.  My bro reached over and helped himself to some of the guys cheeseball,  not realizing that the appetizers weren't provided by the winery, unlike the previous stop!

MelManchua

So many sibling stories, but I think this is the one.

When I was about 5 or 6, and my sister was 3 or 4, we were outside playing in the spring. For some reason, my sister had a plastic cup with her, and she used it to scoop up some water from a mud puddle. She offered me the cup and said, "Want some chocolate milk?"

I quickly passed on the "opportunity," so my sister brought the cup to her lips, tipped the contents back into her mouth, and said "Mmm, mmm, good!" If only I had video evidence of it.... 

nilimasaha

As east asian kids, we used to have one bike between myself and my sister. When a new bike was bought, my parents wants to give it to her since she's older, but I threw a tantrum. Not only did I almost get the bike thrown at mine but I never got to ride that bike.

markevee

One time my younger brother came into my room and cut my hair while I was sleeping; I woke up to him sitting in front of me with a pair of scissors, and to the sound of snipping. I'm still thankfull that I hadn't started school yet, so I didn't have to walk in the classroom with a botched hair-cut and also that he didn't cut my ear off.

Psygineer

I'm an only child so sadly I don't have a sibling story. I also grew up in a rather issolated place without access to many friends so I don't even have a good friends story. A coworker and I watch TV on our lunch break at their place, but that is about it.

819cookie

When I was a kid, my sister made me do things(chores) for her .....and I was a good kid. Did everything really well, completed the job nice and fast. And at the end she would pay me.....EXECEPT that it was paid in printed money and she told me not to tell my parents that she was paying me. So i just kept getting paid with printed money. At the end i saved a huge stash of them like a few hundred dollars. Then one day when my parents weren't home, I snuck out the house to go to the store, in hopst of buying a gameboy with that money. And guess what, the cashier told me that it was fake money and I was so confused and red.  She probably confused. didn't know whether I wanted to scam them or if I was a dumb cute kid. 

and now this day im richer than my sister. 

homer

Oops, I don't have a sibling, so no story to share Cat Happy

smp99

Chased my little brother around the house threatning to 'pop' his belly button and causing him to  flutter around the room like a balloon

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SD08 wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

I have another story:

When we were younger.....

@Nebula  Just to be sure you're aware, only one entry is accepted per participant in the contest, as per the terms specified in the OP.   Thanks for sharing the extra story though.  Smiley Happy

DISQUALIFY!!! 🙂 🙂

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nebula wrote:

I have another story:

When we were younger.....

@Nebula  Just to be sure you're aware, only one entry is accepted per participant in the contest, as per the terms specified in the OP.   Thanks for sharing the extra story though.  Smiley Happy

Nebula

I have another story:

When we were younger, we had to ask permission before using the computer. At night, my brother would wake me up and I would watch him play Command and Conquer (Red Alert). We would sneak into the living room where the computer was kept and he would drape a blanket over us and the computer before turning it on. I asked what the blanket was for and he said it was for the noise and light. Being a kid, I was all for the 'secrecy' and felt cool since my older brother included me in his plans. Eventually we got caught...

denis2

My older brother was a very good jack of all trades, one day whe he had a small job at one of our neighbours I tagged along and when we got there she was gone and the door was locked so my brother decided to go through the window, as he was trying to fit in the small window I was waiting in the parking lot and i noticed a police car coming so I ran on the sidewalk yelling "burgler, burgler" , that turned ugly pretty fast, took a lot of splaining and we both got in trouble that day, We laugh about it today, real funny story.

Need Help? Let's chat.