cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big News: We just launched even better rate plans!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We’ve got great news!  We listened to your feedback on our pricing and plan options and are excited to announce that we are launching new plan options today!

We encourage you to check out the new plan options here or at publicmobile.ca/selfserve to understand which plan best meets your needs and so you receive the biggest bang for your buck. Below is a summary of some of the major changes.

We are saying hello to:

• 2GB on a 30 day plan - We know this has been something all of you have been pushing for!
  • 3GB on a 90 day plan - We wanted to simplify the data options so we have removed the 1 GB and 4GB options and added a 3GB option for 90 days.

We are saying goodbye to:

• Canada Wide Text - Global text will be the only text option going forward.
  • 1GB and 4GB on a 90 day plan
  • 6GB on a 30 day plan - Very few customers were taking advantage of this plan.

With this pricing change, we want to leverage the new pricing of the 6GB, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text (now $120), to showcase this awesome plan:

CommunityPostPricingPromov3.jpg

We think that this plan will be a home-run, worthy of a Bautista bat flip!

Most plans are either cheaper or have more for the same price, but a few plans will be more expensive. If you like what you see, you can go ahead and make changes to your current plan.  But don’t worry – if you want to keep your current plan as-is, you will be able to do so.  No problem.

Below we have a list of FAQs. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

A huge thanks to all of you who took the time to give us your feedback. We are constantly incorporating your ideas to make Public Mobile better for everyone.

Public Mobile Community team 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happens if I sign up for a more expensive plan right before the rate plan options change? Am I able to change my plan without a penalty?

Customers who are on a 90 day plan and have used less than 45 days of service will be able to have their plan changed or credited. The chart below outlines a couple of scenarios and how Public Mobile will assist you so that you receive the best value for your money.

Scenario

Action

You are on a 90-day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

If you have used less than 45 days of service, we can either: (1) credit you the difference between your existing rate and the new rate for a plan with the same options or (2) update your existing plan to the new suite of plans. If you take advantage of the credit, it will be one time only. After then, you are expected to update your plan options to the one that best meets your needs.

Be sure to take action quickly if you want to take advantage of the new plan options.

If you have used more than 45 days of service, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you have used more than half of your existing plan.

That being said, you are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 30 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

Sorry, since you are on a short term plan we won’t be able to credit or change your rate plan.

You are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 10 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

As with the 30 day plan, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you are on a short term plan.

You can future date your plan for the next billing cycle.

You update your plan options, but then realize you would like to go back to your old plan

You won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after moving to the new suite of plan options. Be sure that you want to switch before you do!

1. Am I able to keep my current plan if I am happy with it?

Yes! You will be able to keep your existing plan. If you later decide you would like to take advantage of the new rate plan options, then just log in to publicmobile.ca/selfserve. However, you won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after renewing with the new rate plan options.

1. Why has the Canada-wide text option been removed?

The option has been removed in order to simplify the plan experience for customers. We also want to provide customers with the peace of mind that, while you are in Canada, you will be able to receive and send text messages from all over the world. @srlawren recently shared an improvement idea on our Public Lab saying that we should allow iMessaging confirmation texts to go through regardless of your text plan. This idea stemmed from the fact that some Canada-wide text plan customers weren’t receiving text messages from companies like Apple, who send messages from various locations around the world, notifying you to turn on your iMessage. With a global text option, you will no longer have to worry about this problem!

1. Why isn’t there a plan for heavy data users?

We think our sweet spot is medium data users, which is why the largest data plan is 12GB for 90 day customers and 4GB for 30 day customers. This is something that we will continue to re-evaluate based on your feedback.

Feel free to post any of your questions here, and we will be sure to get back to you. 

261 REPLIES 261

@rrusu also to point out, Bell/Telus have much better coverage in most of Canada as well. Rogers is 3rd and ... well ... people who used Wind are not doing so for the coverage Cat Embarassed

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @rrusu!

Great to hear that you have started saving $$ while getting more data. I was with Rogers too and now I am very satisfied PM customer of 1 year.  I can easily buy a smartphone I like and still have net savings for the year.  Goodbye Robbers and the contracts.  🙂

Lack of phone support or retail stores is what many are afraid of but we have seen over and over that things get done with PM model of support as well.  And we get rewarded with big savings for a little patience when things go wrong.  

rrusu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I'm really impressed by the system PM's got going on.

I was previously with Rogers and was paying twice what I pay now for, get this, 500MB a month!! Not only does PM offer me exactly what I need (and more) with phone service, but it's been smooth sailing talking to and resolving any issues I had with the new plan. 

Currently in the process of convincing my whole fam to switch over to PM too, I'm their beta tester 😉

Thanks Mary for the help!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good afternoon @rrusu

Thank you for posting!

Please private message me your phone number.

We'll take a look at the latest transactions on your account and take it from there 🙂

Thanks,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

rrusu

So I switched to the new plan, but the credit was not added to the account, essentially I paid twice...
Any idea how I can get the refund for the other one? Or should I have gotten the refund first...?

I wish there were step-by-step intstructions and who to send refund info to in the original msg

imm1304

Hello @rrusu!

Pro-rated refund is added to your account and will show as "Available funds".  

Then, your new plan is selected and the difference may need to be topped up depending on your choice.  

@rrusu wrote:

For those of us that want to switch and are under the 45-day limit, how do we go about receiving the credit? Or is that automatically applied once we get on the new plan?

Thanks

I am not sure as well. May be @Shazia_K can answer this. 

Ichong88

I was with Rogers for the longest time....I have no idea why since their service is horrible and they constantly tried to get more and more money from me for the same plan.  And then I switch to Public Mobile and got a far better data plan for about ~35% less/mth!  Now it gets even better!!  I've just been informed by Public Mobile via txt that there are new plans that offer 6GB of data and international txt for the same price of $120 for 90 days, when previously I had 4GB and only Canada-wide txt!  So I wanted to say, Bravo Public Mobile, great service to keep your subscriber satisfied by providing better value and better customer service than your competitors! 

rrusu

For those of us that want to switch and are under the 45-day limit, how do we go about receiving the credit? Or is that automatically applied once we get on the new plan?

Thanks

@imm1304 wrote:

Hi @kav2001c!

I think Mary and Shazia do cover for each other already for a seamless communication.  

This is why there is no need for the "out of office" announcement.  At least one modertor is around to respond to all inbox messages 7 days a week.  

@imm1304

No

If such a protocol does exist it is very loosely followed

I have seen many threads like that & have personally been a victim of one (where a week later somebody came back and asked "oh did anyone do this yet")

Burning a client like that is a very poor response because when a client is already upset at something not working at the very least there should be some sort of feedback on status not a "whoops sorry we forgot"

I started a couple of threads for various issues over in the lab but none accepted yet Cat Frustrated

Even in this very thread

They acknowledge reading an email from Jem (friday) and no comment about resolved + asked yook2000 to send a private message on Sat (if you knew you are out of office on Sun makes more sense to ask send private message to whoever covers right)

But both of these look unresolved as of Monday (over 48 hours later)

imm1304

Hi @kav2001c!

I think Mary and Shazia do cover for each other already for a seamless communication.  

For example, today's message from @yook2000 to Mary would have been replied to by Shazia even if we didn't tag her.  So, depending on how busy they are, everyone should receive a reply sooner or later.  

This is why there is no need for the "out of office" announcement.  At least one modertor is around to respond to all inbox messages 7 days a week.  

@NDesai @Mary_M @Shazia_K

This is a serious issue that keeps popping up though

yook2000 was told (by Mary) yesterday to send a private message

Today she is out of office

Without some kind of out of office announcement (or better yet, if Shazia works as a backup so it is seamless) there are far too many issues that can fall through the cracks resulting in customers not getting issues fixed or timely answers

@yook2000 Mary_M is off today, so @Shazia_K will help you. 

yook2000

@Mary_M 

I have send a private message to you. Please check and help me to change the plan and issue a credit ( I think there should be some). Thank you. 

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @yook2000

Thank you for your interest in changing plans.

Please send me your phone number by private message and I'll make the changes for you.

@JEM I have received your private message and will respond very shorly, I appreciated your patience 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

@yook2000 Sure you can and sorry you did not get response form PM. 

PM staff member will help you with this. She will be in touch with you tomorrow. 

@Mary_M

yook2000

Could you please help me change to this new plan, $120 for unlimited provincial talk, global text and 6G data for 90days. I just renewed my 90 days plan 3 weeks ago, and would like to switch to this new plan. I did send message by "contact me" , and also send private message to you. but no reply yet. Please help. Thank you. 

@deljo_agtor wrote:

I believe that adding data to the old 90 day province wide calling and Canadian text was $0

In the new plans adding data to the 90 day province wide calling and global text is only $5 more.  Why would anyone not choose the data and go with a data add on for $30/1GB?  It would take 6 months to recoup the $30 data add on charge!

The data & voice buckets are relatively the same

I am more annoyed at the +$15 extra for Global TXT

JEM

I just signed up 3 days ago.  My Voice Mail is not working, my texts are still not all coming in and my phone calls are not coming in either.  Mary_M has been looking into it all day today but I've not heard anything back.  I saw that the new plan is better than the 90 day plan I just took out 3 days ago for: Canada wide talk, text and 3 gig data and read on this post that I could change my plan if, on the 90 day program, I hadn't used more than 45 days.  I haven't really had anything even working yet but when I tried to change my plan it said I needed to pay over again.  I set it to the new plan for my renewal in October but can't I change this plan now without repaying?  I paid th $120 plus taxes already.

Thanks,

JEM

Yes, voip does seem the best way to control cost, especially when used with wifi. I have same issue at home concerning voip but my sister loves it, especially the price.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Barth
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I priced out a plan that would work for my wife just before the 1G-90-day plan went away. It worked out to $25/month without considering the Autopay credit. I almost sold my wife on changing after the other carrier's plan matures.

While I am ecstatic to use my data-only plan with voip.ms, she won't go for it. She just doesn't want to think about phone functionality that much. It is what it is. I suspect there are other economy-minded phone users who think the same way. PM doesn't need to win all of the business.

@Barth It's always true though; different places, different plans, different prices. Take your pick. Just remember PM's product 90 days prov calling, global texting, 3 GB data is $105 after autopay reward. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@Barth these are valid points.  Unfortunately, PM doesn't offer anything less than unlimited buckets if you want Talk included in your plan; ifyou want to save a little and don't care about calling outside your province (or do so so rarely that you could use the long distance add ons over a long period of time) then you could drop down to unlimited Province-wide.  

Yet another option for budget conscious might be to go on a data-only plan and use an app like Fongo to do your calling and texting. A 90-day, no talk, no text, 3GB plan is $75, which is the equivalent of $25.35 per calendar month ($75 / 90 days * 365 days / 12 months).  I beleive Fongo charges $2/month on top of that for texting, so you'd still be under the $30 barrier, but have approx 1GB of data per month, which would get used for your calling and texting also, while not attached to a WiFi network.  This might be a viable alternative for some.  (Credit to @Luddite for suggesting this possibility!)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Barth

I can acknowledge that PM is following a general trend to provide bigger packages, and drop smaller packages. Furthermore, I agree that PM is competitive for medium-size packages.

If I go to a Ford dealership looking for an economy car, but they will only show me pick-up trucks, I'll find another dealership.

What happens for potential customers that are not looking for unlimited this and large bucket that? Will they still come to PM?

Koodo - $30/month. $7/month less.

Virgin - $30/month. $7/month less.

I guess my wife and some other friends will stay with their current carrier, unless PM decides to reinstate the lower cost options.

No biggie.

deljo_agtor

@Scaredy wrote:

By minimal, I really meant minimal. If it's only for emergency use, it might very well take you longer than 6 months to use up 1GB. That would be up to the person to decide. I did the same with the long distance minutes, choosing province-wide and relying on those for the occasional time I'd need to call out of province.

I'm sorry, but it still wouldn't make any sense.  1000MB/6 months = ~166MB/month and that's to break even!  If you can make 1GB last you one year (and you'd have to TRY really hard to make it last you one year), going the $30 add on route would only save you $30 a year!  It would only make sense for 0.1% of users.  That's small enough to not even talk about!  Again, just my 2 cents 🙂

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
My wife is on the grandfather $25 plan and her $30 1gb bucket has lasted a year so it's doable depending on your situation

Scaredy

By minimal, I really meant minimal. If it's only for emergency use, it might very well take you longer than 6 months to use up 1GB. That would be up to the person to decide. I did the same with the long distance minutes, choosing province-wide and relying on those for the occasional time I'd need to call out of province.

deljo_agtor

@Scaredy wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

On the other hand the $90 plan was very popular IMO because there are many people who are not interested in data

Most of them would happily sign up for a $25 talk & txt plan

But Public had a nice bump by offering minimum data for emergency type use when they really need it

I personally would never use a $90 plan Cat LOL but I can tell you 3 of my referals do Cat Surprised

Another less obvious option people might have if they want minimal data for only emergency-type use is to get a PM talk & text plan, and then just add a data add-on. Since they don't expire and a base data plan isn't required, they might have that data block available to them for a long while if they only use it minimally.

I believe that adding data to the old 90 day province wide calling and Canadian text was $0

In the new plans adding data to the 90 day province wide calling and global text is only $5 more.  Why would anyone not choose the data and go with a data add on for $30/1GB?  It would take 6 months to recoup the $30 data add on charge!

Scaredy

@kav2001c wrote:

On the other hand the $90 plan was very popular IMO because there are many people who are not interested in data

Most of them would happily sign up for a $25 talk & txt plan

But Public had a nice bump by offering minimum data for emergency type use when they really need it

I personally would never use a $90 plan Cat LOL but I can tell you 3 of my referals do Cat Surprised

Another less obvious option people might have if they want minimal data for only emergency-type use is to get a PM talk & text plan, and then just add a data add-on. Since they don't expire and a base data plan isn't required, they might have that data block available to them for a long while if they only use it minimally.

srlawren

@kav2001c personally, I agree with yourself and others that have expressed desire for PM to retain/bring back the 90/1GB plans.  I do think they are a valuable way to get new customers.  Unfortunately, this is not the direction PM has chosen to go at the moment, and they feel this allows them to deliver better value to the majority of their customers with the new plans that offer greater value (typically) than the plans they have replaced.

And you're right that my analysis was a bit limited, I didn't delve into the various promos available, just the standard rate that seemed to offer comparable choices.  I did see some promo plans on a couple of carriers but they all had limited buckets of minutes (e.g. 300 daytime minutes) and/or only included local calls and not Canada-wide or even province-wide, so it wasn't a fair comparison. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.