cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big News: We just launched even better rate plans!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We’ve got great news!  We listened to your feedback on our pricing and plan options and are excited to announce that we are launching new plan options today!

We encourage you to check out the new plan options here or at publicmobile.ca/selfserve to understand which plan best meets your needs and so you receive the biggest bang for your buck. Below is a summary of some of the major changes.

We are saying hello to:

• 2GB on a 30 day plan - We know this has been something all of you have been pushing for!
  • 3GB on a 90 day plan - We wanted to simplify the data options so we have removed the 1 GB and 4GB options and added a 3GB option for 90 days.

We are saying goodbye to:

• Canada Wide Text - Global text will be the only text option going forward.
  • 1GB and 4GB on a 90 day plan
  • 6GB on a 30 day plan - Very few customers were taking advantage of this plan.

With this pricing change, we want to leverage the new pricing of the 6GB, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text (now $120), to showcase this awesome plan:

CommunityPostPricingPromov3.jpg

We think that this plan will be a home-run, worthy of a Bautista bat flip!

Most plans are either cheaper or have more for the same price, but a few plans will be more expensive. If you like what you see, you can go ahead and make changes to your current plan.  But don’t worry – if you want to keep your current plan as-is, you will be able to do so.  No problem.

Below we have a list of FAQs. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

A huge thanks to all of you who took the time to give us your feedback. We are constantly incorporating your ideas to make Public Mobile better for everyone.

Public Mobile Community team 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happens if I sign up for a more expensive plan right before the rate plan options change? Am I able to change my plan without a penalty?

Customers who are on a 90 day plan and have used less than 45 days of service will be able to have their plan changed or credited. The chart below outlines a couple of scenarios and how Public Mobile will assist you so that you receive the best value for your money.

Scenario

Action

You are on a 90-day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

If you have used less than 45 days of service, we can either: (1) credit you the difference between your existing rate and the new rate for a plan with the same options or (2) update your existing plan to the new suite of plans. If you take advantage of the credit, it will be one time only. After then, you are expected to update your plan options to the one that best meets your needs.

Be sure to take action quickly if you want to take advantage of the new plan options.

If you have used more than 45 days of service, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you have used more than half of your existing plan.

That being said, you are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 30 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

Sorry, since you are on a short term plan we won’t be able to credit or change your rate plan.

You are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 10 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

As with the 30 day plan, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you are on a short term plan.

You can future date your plan for the next billing cycle.

You update your plan options, but then realize you would like to go back to your old plan

You won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after moving to the new suite of plan options. Be sure that you want to switch before you do!

1. Am I able to keep my current plan if I am happy with it?

Yes! You will be able to keep your existing plan. If you later decide you would like to take advantage of the new rate plan options, then just log in to publicmobile.ca/selfserve. However, you won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after renewing with the new rate plan options.

1. Why has the Canada-wide text option been removed?

The option has been removed in order to simplify the plan experience for customers. We also want to provide customers with the peace of mind that, while you are in Canada, you will be able to receive and send text messages from all over the world. @srlawren recently shared an improvement idea on our Public Lab saying that we should allow iMessaging confirmation texts to go through regardless of your text plan. This idea stemmed from the fact that some Canada-wide text plan customers weren’t receiving text messages from companies like Apple, who send messages from various locations around the world, notifying you to turn on your iMessage. With a global text option, you will no longer have to worry about this problem!

1. Why isn’t there a plan for heavy data users?

We think our sweet spot is medium data users, which is why the largest data plan is 12GB for 90 day customers and 4GB for 30 day customers. This is something that we will continue to re-evaluate based on your feedback.

Feel free to post any of your questions here, and we will be sure to get back to you. 

261 REPLIES 261

chreds
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've seen a few comments re: no 1GB plan anymore on 90 days. I too wish this would come back. My wife is very data-light user and I know other non-public mobile users who were thinking of switching to this low-cost option which is no longer available.

Chris

fmpsportsguy

A question about your "global" messaging option, is there an error in your terms? Not updated for new plan?

3.Includes text and picture messaging. Premium and subscription-based messages, and messaging to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included. Picture messaging on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

j4y4r

Really great news! For a while I was afraid PM would be increasing their rates because of the weak dollar. This is a big and welcome surprise! 

I hope you don't mind, but I PM'd you Brooke in hopes that you could look into changing my account.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@9991313,

PM received! i'm working on changing your plan 🙂

Please allow a few moments before checking your inbox!

Cheers,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

@Brooke_C wrote:

Hey Community,

We’ve got great news!  We listened to your feedback on our pricing and plan options and are excited to announce that we are launching new plan options today!

We encourage you to check out the new plan options here or at publicmobile.ca/selfserve to understand which plan best meets your needs and so you receive the biggest bang for your buck. Below is a summary of some of the major changes.

We are saying hello to:

• 2GB on a 30 day plan - We know this has been something all of you have been pushing for!
  • 3GB on a 90 day plan - We wanted to simplify the data options so we have removed the 1 GB and 4GB options and added a 3GB option for 90 days.

We are saying goodbye to:

• Canada Wide Text - Global text will be the only text option going forward.
  • 1GB and 4GB on a 90 day plan
  • 6GB on a 30 day plan - Very few customers were taking advantage of this plan.

With this pricing change, we want to leverage the new pricing of the 6GB, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text (now $120), to showcase this awesome plan:

CommunityPostPricingPromov3.jpg

We think that this plan will be a home-run, worthy of a Bautista bat flip!

Most plans are either cheaper or have more for the same price, but a few plans will be more expensive. If you like what you see, you can go ahead and make changes to your current plan.  But don’t worry – if you want to keep your current plan as-is, you will be able to do so.  No problem.

Below we have a list of FAQs. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

A huge thanks to all of you who took the time to give us your feedback. We are constantly incorporating your ideas to make Public Mobile better for everyone.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happens if I sign up for a more expensive plan right before the rate plan options change? Am I able to change my plan without a penalty?

Customers who are on a 90 day plan and have used less than 45 days of service will be able to have their plan changed or credited. The chart below outlines a couple of scenarios and how Public Mobile will assist you so that you receive the best value for your money.

Scenario

Action

You are on a 90-day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

If you have used less than 45 days of service, we can either: (1) credit you the difference between your existing rate and the new rate for a plan with the same options or (2) update your existing plan to the new suite of plans. If you take advantage of the credit, it will be one time only. After then, you are expected to update your plan options to the one that best meets your needs.

Be sure to take action quickly if you want to take advantage of the new plan options.

If you have used more than 45 days of service, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you have used more than half of your existing plan.

That being said, you are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 30 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

Sorry, since you are on a short term plan we won’t be able to credit or change your rate plan.

You are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 10 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

As with the 30 day plan, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you are on a short term plan.

You can future date your plan for the next billing cycle.

You update your plan options, but then realize you would like to go back to your old plan

You won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after moving to the new suite of plan options. Be sure that you want to switch before you do!

1. Am I able to keep my current plan if I am happy with it?

Yes! You will be able to keep your existing plan. If you later decide you would like to take advantage of the new rate plan options, then just log in to publicmobile.ca/selfserve. However, you won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after renewing with the new rate plan options.

1. Why has the Canada-wide text option been removed?

The option has been removed in order to simplify the plan experience for customers. We also want to provide customers with the peace of mind that, while you are in Canada, you will be able to receive and send text messages from all over the world. @srlawren recently shared an improvement idea on our Public Lab saying that we should allow iMessaging confirmation texts to go through regardless of your text plan. This idea stemmed from the fact that some Canada-wide text plan customers weren’t receiving text messages from companies like Apple, who send messages from various locations around the world, notifying you to turn on your iMessage. With a global text option, you will no longer have to worry about this problem!

1. Why isn’t there a plan for heavy data users?

We think our sweet spot is medium data users, which is why the largest data plan is 12GB for 90 day customers and 4GB for 30 day customers. This is something that we will continue to re-evaluate based on your feedback.

Feel free to post any of your questions here, and we will be sure to get back to you. 

I have PM @Brooke_C & @Shazia_K about a plan change as I am less then 45 Days into my Plan

I currently have 90 Day Can US talk, Canada Text & 4GB of Data for $150 would like to change to the new plan 90 Day Plan with unlimited can us talk, global text & 6GB Data which is also $150. 

deljo_agtor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not sure why the 1GB 90 day option was taken away.  I think you'll find a lot of future customers would have benefited from that plan option.  All the people that I've reffered have chosen that 1GB 90 day plan and that hinders my ability to refer more people.  One thumb down 😞

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just switched to new plan starting next renewal.  Was already on the $120 over 90 days so this a bonus for me! 

JaK

I agree with @urameatball, I'm not happy to see the 1G option dropped for the 90 day plans. I too have a relative that was in the process of moving over to that plan, was just waiting for a phone unlock, and now he will be stuck with a much more expensive plan for data that he doesn't need... 😞 

This really is an unfortunate development, and takes away a lot of PM's attractiveness to low data users.

kevin_camera

Thanks...!  I believe this is the first time I've seen a canadian telecom company change their plans and 1) did not increase prices 2) offers new features which we will actually use

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PMed. Also why couldn't you just auto upgrade everyone on the old 4GB/90 days plan to the new 6GB/90 days plan. The price will be the same. Who's going to object to that.

urameatball

@homer I'm on the $90/90day plan as well, and it's showing the same as you ($135, but payment is still $90). It's unfortunate this plan is grandfathered because I told a couple of friends last week about this plan, and were planning to switch to public mobile. Only one of them switched over in time.

Nice to see good plans for heavier users, but light users like my friends and I... We like the old plans

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@homer

Sorry to see that's happening on your account. 

I will be happy to assist you with this, can you also send me your Public Mobile phone number?

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

homer

@Shazia_K my account is in the same situation - I think it's just a display error? I am on the $90 /1 GB / 90-day plan. The "amount due" still shows $90, but under "my plan" it shows $135. 

homer

Great plans for heavy data users, but I will keep my 90 day / 1GB plan for now. Would prefer to see a cheaper data add-on though since I occasionally need more data 🙂 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Aamna

I'm sorry about this, 

I'd be happy to fix all of this for you, can you please send me a private message with your Public Mobile phone number?

Thanks,

Shazia

Aamna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, this really messed up my billing. My previous plan was the 4GB, unlimited text and unlimited provice wide calling for $120 over 90 days. And now when I go to pay for the next 90 days it's showing up as $165/90 days for the same plan?! I tried to switch my plan over to one of the newer ones but it says the change will only take effect on October 25th. Am I stuck with my old plan until then? And if so, why is it $45 more expensive??

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I see it too.  Could be happening to everyone.

Only the display of the current plan shows full cost.

The Amount due is accurate.  

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Jonavin and @ute1978

Can you PM me your phone numbers so we can look into why this is happening? Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will work quickly to get this fixed. 

ute1978

@Jonavin wrote:

Perfect. The only weird thing is that the old plan now shows the non-discounted rate ($165 for 90 days/4G for example). Won't matter for me because I am switching to 90/6GB for the same $120.

Yes, same here. Instead of my old $96 the plan shows $141. But if you look on the "Amound due" for next Autopay it shows the right amount.

ute1978

This is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

What I checked first and completely approve of: On the 30-day-data-only-plan the difference between 1 GB and 2 GB is only $8. Only $8 for an additional 1GB. This is something nowhere to be seen!

Jonavin

Perfect. The only weird thing is that the old plan now shows the non-discounted rate ($165 for 90 days/4G for example). Won't matter for me because I am switching to 90/6GB for the same $120.

Need Help? Let's chat.