Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BUG RESOLVED]: Incoming texts not received upon return from US

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Some exciting news! We wanted to let you know that our technical team has successfully implemented a fix for a known bug that has been affecting customers who have purchased a US Roaming Add-on where, upon the Add-On expiring, incoming texts would not be received for up to 24 hours. 

Our team has successfully identified, implemented, and tested a solution, which was deployed on January 27th. Customers who have purchased a US Roaming Add-On since then should experience no issues receiving text messages once they return to Canada. 

We want to thank everyone who flagged this issue to us and for your patience as we worked towards a solution. We are continually focused on improving the reliability of our systems as well as your experience. 

- The Public Mobile Team Smiley Happy

65 REPLIES 65

Anonymous
Not applicable

Coincidentally on the same day of the announcement my texting add-on had expired. Everything worked on that next day. I appear to also have got the 10 - 24 hour periods. There's another customer that had about the same thing in around the same time. He went ahead and had the mods add it again rather than wait.

@Chipster : We'd be interested to know when yours expires and when you can see the same add-on again in the Purchase Add-ons screen. At what point it removes itself from your Plan Details and then how long until you could buy it again...without buying it of course. Because there's a period of time after it expires and removes itself before you would see it in the list to buy again. We so far know it's at least an hour. I wonder if it would be midnight ET of that last day. Could be the next day. If you're willing to observe it for us that is.

@srlawren 

Absolutely! And maybe anyone already in progress when it was "fixed" will benefit from the fix too. The wording just sounded to me as though you had to start the add-on after "the fix" was in .... to benefit. We should start to get some reports soon hopefully!

AE_Collector

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AE_Collector wrote:

This fix looks as though it was only announced 7 days ago and it fixes "the problem" for anyone purchasing a US roaming add on from that date forward. Thus I don't think anyone would have purchased the add on since the announcement and got to day 11 to see what happens yet.

@AE_Collector it's also possible @Tiana_V was being overly cautious with the announcement in a CYA type of move.  Always better to under-promise and over-deliver...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Don't hold your breath unless you are certain you added the roaming add-on after the "fixed" announcement as they said it won't fix add-ons already in progress before the fix was implemented. You might be good as hopefully they fixed it a day or two before the announcement.

AE_Collector

Chipster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

AWESOME!!! Coming off a 10 day US plan tomorrow. Looking forward to my texting working as usual!!!

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

This fix looks as though it was only announced 7 days ago and it fixes "the problem" for anyone purchasing a US roaming add on from that date forward. Thus I don't think anyone would have purchased the add on since the announcement and got to day 11 to see what happens yet.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smp99 wrote:

Is the bug about waiting 24hrs before you can renew a US roaming add-on still there or has that been addressed as well?

The bug was about incoming texts after expiry. From my and another customers observations, that does seem to be fixed.

The re-buying is still unknown. That other customer didn't see the same item for an hour and went ahead and asked the mods to re-add it.

It also looks like they made it 10 - 24 hour periods.

We await further evidence of the re-buy.

srlawren

@smp99 wrote:

Is the bug about waiting 24hrs before you can renew a US roaming add-on still there or has that been addressed as well?

@smp99 this is a good question.  I don't believe that issue was mentioned in the announcement, so I would assume it is not resolved.  What is resovled is that after your US Texting Roaming add-on expires at the end of the 10th (technically, 9.xth) day, there was a period of time of up to about 12-24 hours where you would not receive any incoming SMS messages.  The sender would not know anything went wrong, you would not know anything went wrong (unless the sender followed up with you later asking why you never replied to something you never received), and any incoming SMS during that timeframe would be lost forever (rather than just delayed until the end of that 12-24hours).  MMS was not affected.

This was a particuarly annoying bug that should have been squished much closer to the Nov 2016 launch of US Roaming add-ons, but at least it is finally dead.  (Apparently Robot LOL )

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@smp99 

I would assume they are the same glitch or at least related to each other.

AE_Collector

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PsyJade  You can make that your new years resolution!

PsyJade
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@LovesToPM Thanks for posting those links! It seems I missed the contest deadline by two hours 😹 (mental note, check the Public Mobile community more often.)

BDW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks Public Mobile. Great work!

This is great! Thank you, PM! Keep improving and being the best phone providerSmiley Happy

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is wonderful news.  I'm sure it will make many happy as the issue was frustrating for many lately.  Great job resolving the issue.

srlawren

@AE_Collector wrote:

But as we all know, every time someone works on programming two more bugs are created!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector those of us in this line of work call this "job security" Robot LOL

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Good news - this was a long time coming.  I never personally experienced this bug but many did.

But as we all know, every time someone works on programming two more bugs are created!

AE_Collector

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

One small fix at a time and eventually it'll finally all be fixed and we'll all be out of a job!

@darlicious I would welcome that day!

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wow, this is a great news. Thanks!

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

One down 100 more to go.

One small fix at a time and eventually it'll finally all be fixed and we'll all be out of a job!

srlawren

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Tiana_V, So glad to hear that a fix has been implemented it has a been a LOOOOONG 3 years waiting for this!!

@ShawnC13 I guess that old adage still holds up:  "Better [3 years] late than never!"

RossN
Mayor / Maire

that,s really great news great start for 2020 !!

I don't think anyone (even Public) would argue that this fix shouldn't have come much sooner. It's good to hear though that this bug has finally been fixed. 

@Anonymous 

Uh...yeah. How many "I just subscribed this afternoon and can't see the promotional credit (or referal credit) in my account yet" questions get asked here per week!

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CannonFodder wrote:

Glad to see something has been fixed..... now I'm wondering when we'll see fixes for the myriad of other issues. OTOH, if they fix all the issues, all of us that hang out on the forums will be losing our lucrative 😉  tech support jobs.

Yeah...I just noticed that they added a blurb about the 400 minute countries in the purchase add-ons area...twice. 'Course...people need to read stuff still.

Glad to see something has been fixed..... now I'm wondering when we'll see fixes for the myriad of other issues. OTOH, if they fix all the issues, all of us that hang out on the forums will be losing our lucrative 😉  tech support jobs.

Yowza! A Golden Starlite Phone award for Public Mobile!

One small step for PM, one giant leap for PM customers!

Thankyou!

AE_Collector

C44359FC-6DF5-416D-837A-81B7024E4E9D.jpeg

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Tiana_V, So glad to hear that a fix has been implemented it has a been a LOOOOONG 3 years waiting for this!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.