cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada’s Alert Ready + Test Alert Schedules

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update: To view the alert schedule for your province or territory please click here

Hey Community,

We wanted to let you know about an upcoming SMS you will receive regarding Alert Ready. Alert Ready will broadcast emergency alerts to inform you of critical or potentially life-threatening situations that require immediate attention to keep you and your family safe. As of April 6, 2018, Canada’s Alert Ready service will be available to compatible mobile devices. To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c  i just went to settings and used the search feature and was able to find teh menu.

Im runnung 7.1.1

Shoot, sorry I don't know. I'm on 8.1.

Check sound or display menus. Maybe it's in one of those??

@sheytoon any idea for Android 7?

I have different menus but neither shows;

Settings > Apps

or 

Settings > Notifications

Unless it only works in Android 8 (which I am assuming you posted since my menu seems different)

@kav2001c

Settings > Apps and Notifications > Advanced > Emergency Alerts

@Stormy what menu is that under???

Interesting some of the more spammy messages appear to have an opt out feature... (I guess I was not only one whining about them)

@Stormywrote:

Guess I'm ready for them then,

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Guess I'm ready for them then,

Screenshot_20180317-070306.png

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I doubt the specific nature of the emergency is as relevant as the lives which emergency warning might save.

"Aw, gee, there's no specific warning for time-travelling Nazi alien zombies, well too bad I guess the system won't work for us."

AK_41
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Canada better not accidentally send out some false alert SMS like they did in Hawaii telling that a missle is on it's way......  and afterwards say it was a miscommunication

This also is kind of snicker inducing

Like we REALLY need to know the reason the volcano warning is being issued

I can just picture some old guy sitting in his cottage all like

"well I *might* evacuate if we get a Lahar or Pyroclastic Flow

But I ain't runnin from no ash warning"

@kav2001cwrote:

We actually have *4* different types of volcano warnings lol

Lahar, Ash, Pyroclastic Flow, and Pyroclastic Surge

@sheytoon they also cleary say that local non threat emergencies are allowed to be inserted as well (eg under civil, local police alerts) and weather alerts (eg check the map, they are sending out snowfall and extreme cold alerts which are a total waste)

We shall all see how annoying this is & whether our handsets support it

The cell phone test is scheduled for May 10th at 10:55AM EST

*edit in Ontario test area, no idea on other provinces

@kav2001c

You're right, I didn't read the site thoroughly. I guess we'll see what they end up sending and how often. Hopefully it'll be extremely rare.

Clefort88
I can't quite imagine why we would need such a thing, off the top of my head, but I am sure that there will come a time where something happens and it will be looked upon with kind eyes afterwards.

Overall, good that the tech is coming our way. Several countries have had an overall alert system in place for years, mobile or otherwise. Right on!

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

here is an actual link https://www.alertready.ca/

@sheytoon did you actually read the website???

What you are claimimg is not true at all

https://www.alertready.ca/#types

We actually have *4* different types of volcano warnings lol

Lahar, Ash, Pyroclastic Flow, and Pyroclastic Surge

And there are many other absurd warnings from air quality alerts to amber alerts to thunderstorms 

Oh and don't forget meteors 

Magnetic Storms are another joke and a half

An alert that our electronic devices will not function being delivered to us via our electronic devices

Genius that

@kav2001c

This system is for specific, localized emergency alerts. No amber alerts, thunderstorms, or spam, and definitely no volcano warnings.

Any device which is compatible with the network will receive emergency broadcast messages.  It doesn't have to be any particular carrier, it doesn't have to be a Canadian carrier, it doesn't even have to have a SIM card or active service - if it's turned on then it will receive the alerts, whether you want them or not.

The only ways to avoid receiving these alerts are to have your cellphone powered off or to run firmware specifically modded to block these things out.

srlawren

I don't think it's clear that non carrier-supplied devices are excluded or incompatible.  Just because your device wasn't sold by a carrier, or certified by them a compatible, doens't necessarily mean it isn't (1) LTE compatible, and (2) contains WPA software, and (3) connected to LTE network.  (1) and (3) will be true for the majority of phones poeple are using today, even ones bought from other sources (except some overseas devices with incompatible bands, of course).  (2) is the real question mark, I think.  I'd bet most devices have this and it's sitting dormant.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

that's good to know!

denkom

I think it's about time this alert sevice came to Canada. Why is Canada always so behind? Lol.  It's been available in the US for a long time. I received an alert once while in the states (was using a US sim) for a flash flood warning.

Hopefully PM will be a supported carrier.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Curious about third party non-carrier phones...my OP5 has a bunch of Emergency broadcasts settings.

Seems to me like this was mandated for every Canadian carrier and PM (Dave) got caught with his knickers down again Cat LOL

Already discussed a little (yesterday) in this thread

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Alert-Ready-is-Public-Mobile-Compatible/m...

@kav2001c

Agreed, we don't need a volcano alert.  Because

1) as you sarcasticaly observed, "there are so many volcanoes active in Canada", and

2) you'll probably see an active volcano long before you get any phone alerts about it, lol

@LEGO

Nope, can't block emergency channels with standard phone operating systems and softwares.  Also can't block broadcast channels.  Unless you're running modded firmware.

It turns out that the vast majority of phones (old and new) will be "supported".  Because open broadcast to passive receiver (on emergency/priority channels) is something that's never actually been changed across networking technologies - the reserved emergency channels have been unchanged the cellular "1G" PCS era - they're also compliant to ITU standards so they remain globally uniform on every network in every country - and they cover a segment in every major frequency band (old and new).  Only the most antique cellphones won't be fully compatible with these WPA broadcasts.

@LEGO very few phones are supported

But I expect most new ones will be supported

@LEGO  Because you are not in any danger in future!  So you dont need to be alerted.  Smiley Happy

LEGO

@kav2001cwrote:

This is the page that makes me laugh the most

https://www.alertready.ca/#roles

Read what YOUR responsibility will be in case they ever issue an alert

We even have a volcano alert

You know cause there are so many volcanoes active in Canada 

Great that my phone is not supported! Smiley Happy

“Wireless alerts are sent on a specific cellular channel that is separate from normal text and data traffic.”

I’m wonder if an app can be created to block the frequency they use…

This is the page that makes me laugh the most

https://www.alertready.ca/#roles

Read what YOUR responsibility will be in case they ever issue an alert

Wondering which would win out should you read alert while driving a car 

I thnk this entire thing is a farce and personally do not want all these random messages (esp when they start spamming Amber Alerts which happen like weekly as is now)

Or looky; air quality alerts and thunderstorm alerts

Cat Surprised

We even have a volcano alert

You know cause there are so many volcanoes active in Canada

@canucks4lifewrote:

Can we try a missile strike test?

Instead of bringing the missile strike here. How about going to where there is potential of a missile strike.  I think things the way they are today.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Can we try a missile strike test?

raulg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
@LEGOwrote:

@Brooke_Cwrote:

To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

Public Mobile is NOT on the list of Wireless Carriers!

They must be doing some changes in their website. I saw Public Mobile in the carrier list yesterday, but it was taking you to PM's main page without any further information.

LEGO

@Brooke_Cwrote:

To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

Public Mobile is NOT on the list of Wireless Carriers!

SD08

@Brooke_Cwrote:

Hey Community,

We wanted to let you know about an upcoming SMS you will receive regarding Alert Ready. Alert Ready will broadcast emergency alerts to inform you of critical or potentially life-threatening situations that require immediate attention to keep you and your family safe. As of April 6, 2018, Canada’s Alert Ready service will be available to compatible mobile devices. To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Thanks for letting us know.  Robot Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.