cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Alert Ready Test on November 27, 2019

@popping wrote:

I just received the test alerts.   

The one I got from Rogers with title "EMERGENCY ALERT".

The one I got from PM with title "Presidential alert".  We don't have a president in Canada.  It may be a alert from Telus President/CEO.  lol.

Phones with Canadian operator firmware will display EMERGENCY ALERT / ALERTE D'URGENCE. US/international firmware may display other headers.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

@popping wrote:

I just received the test alerts.   

The one I got from Rogers with title "EMERGENCY ALERT".

The one I got from PM with title "Presidential alert".  We don't have a president in Canada.  It may be a alert from Telus President/CEO.  lol.

My alert on PM was titled "EMERGENCY ALERT/ALERTE D'URGENCE'.

I got a vibrate notification but no Amber Alert sound. Message stayed on screen until I cleared it.

Mine as well but my phone was on silent

Strangely, my phone was not on silent.  I know that specifically because I had received two calls in the hours previous to the test - 1 spam call and 1 wrong number.

Mayor / Maire

Modded software successfully received and disallowed (blocked/ignored) the test alert on three devices.

CAT S61, Android 9.0, Public Mobile

Asus ZenFone 3 Deluxe, Android 9.0, Telus Mobility

RCA RLTP6066,, Android 6.0, Public Mobile

Successfully received and allowed the test alert on two devices.

CAT S61, Android 9.0, Bell Mobile

LG G5, Android 8.1, Public Mobile

Was supposed to allow the test alert on another device but had Data off and WiFi off, received nothing. 

Samsung Galaxy S8, Android 9.0, Telus Mobility

And my ancient LG Eclypse C800G with no SIM card (Emergency Calls Only) received no alert.

It's obvious that some consumers demand the option to kill these alerts. But I could find no CRTC/CCTS regulatory mandates or wireless code (in public domain) which requires SMS software to comply, so I don't know why consumer software typically excludes the option.

I certainly don't want any incoming Presidential Alerts (or "Prime Minister Alerts"?), lol, Trump and Trudeau do not have my permission to spam my phone. 

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The test came through loud and clear!

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A little late to the party here.

I removed my PM sim card the day before the test and put it in my other phone. The phone with no sim card was connected to my home wifi network. The phone with the PM sim card received the 'Alert' at the proper time and to my surprise the 'no sim' phone also received the alert at the same time. 

Question...

Is a phone with no sim card and connected to a wifi network able to receive an Alert Ready Test?

@moegagner  I think you just answered your own question!

@moegagner wrote:

I removed my PM sim card the day before the test and put it in my other phone. The phone with no sim card was connected to my home wifi network. The phone with the PM sim card received the 'Alert' at the proper time and to my surprise the 'no sim' phone also received the alert at the same time. 

Question...

Is a phone with no sim card and connected to a wifi network able to receive an Alert Ready Test?

Obviously, the answer is YES!  And, I suspect, it had nothing to do with being connected to a wi-fi network.  If the phone is powered on, then it is connected to a mobile network.  That way, it can be used to make emergency calls and receive emergency alerts (even test ones).

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@jimbobs wrote:

@moegagner wrote:

Question...

Obviously, the answer is YES!  And, I suspect, it had nothing to do with being connected to a wi-fi network.  If the phone is powered on, then it is connected to a mobile network.  That way, it can be used to make emergency calls and receive emergency alerts (even test ones).

I understand that turning off LTE and allowing the phone to roam on the 3g network dissables the phone form receiving the alerts. Am I right? Soooo, which network is the phone connected to? PM, Telus, Bell?? Is it on LTE or 3g.

Please elaborate because I find your response lacking in a few details.

Thanks

Pm is on Telus network

Deepening where you are and what phone you use you may be on lte, to make calls and text you must be in 3g. If you have nice bars but can't make a call that means you are on lte and far from an older equipment. Public doesn't provide volte. You can force yourself phone y to only connect to 3g through your network settings

@moegagner wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

@moegagner wrote:

Question...

I understand that turning off LTE and allowing the phone to roam on the 3g network dissables the phone form receiving the alerts. Am I right? Soooo, which network is the phone connected to? PM, Telus, Bell?? Is it on LTE or 3g.

Please elaborate because I find your response lacking in a few details.

Thanks

Depends on your settings. I'm guessing PM/Telus if you used the phone in the previous days.