cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Alert Ready Test on November 27, 2019

@Antikz wrote:

I’ve actually never got one of these alert test messages or calls. I’ve been working along side 3 people where everyone receives it but me lol. Although I was with Virgin Mobile from 13 months ago prior.

Looking forward to see if Public pulls through!

From the alertready.ca website:

"In order for a wireless device to be capable of receiving an alert three broad conditions must be met.

The wireless device must be:

• A wireless public alerting (WPA) compatible device, like a smartphone, capable of connecting to an LTE network (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”); and
  • Equipped with the latest version of its operating software; and
  • Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued or joins the network while the alert is still active.

Older cell phones that operate exclusively on non-LTE networks will not get an alert."

Mayor / Maire

11:09am PT...another one?! Identical. Still not on my secondary account.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks to let me know.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

2:55 pm EST

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for letting us know. Will be interesting to see how the alert is.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@KkuraWiz wrote:

Thanks for letting us know. Will be interesting to see how the alert is.

It'll be the same as usual. These aren't new these tests happen on a regular basis.

Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs wrote:

It will be interesting to hear if it works or not.  Based on what you have written, I don't believe it will as our Alert system is not based on SMS messaging.

The app is named "Signal SMS" but it is not restricted to SMS only.

The full source includes functionality for "all" SMS and MMS modes, voice modes, and auxiliary/ancillary (legacy) radio modes.

I won't pretend to understand it all, it's not my industry and I'm not quite that curious/obsessive. But (most of) the source is documented well enough. It points to relevant datasheets, SMS specifications, GSM standards, 3GPP protocols, etc. And it is (mostly) written by people in the industry who do have expert understanding. 

So my modded version allows user option to block "channel 50" and "channel 60", to block generic "SMS-CB" and "SMSCB" packets (which are not true SMS in the strict technical sense, but that's still what they're called in much of the technical literature), and to block certain incoming 3GPP emergency protocols/flags on conditional basis.

(Also logging, blocking, and monitoring lots of other "hidden" SMS-related stuff, incoming SMS-M2M, outgoing SMS-A2P, etc, but that's not really relevant here.) 

Whatever works and whatever doesn't work will be logged during the event. I have to rely on real SMS-CB events for testing. 

Hmmm. I have a BC# and an Ont #. Both on public Mobile. Both Motorola.

But I was physically in BC for the Amber Alerts that (rightly) annoyed so many folks in Ont. I didn't get it on either phone #. Meanwhile friends with Bell Ont # were jolted out of their BC bed by the Amber Alert.

Blasting millions of phones with an unstoppable noise, whatever the reason, will NOT alter the course of events. If there's a fire or natural disaster, surely the locals will notice. If there's a terrorist attack, the violence has already happened. Etc. Etc.

I don't think that I've consented to this kind of intrusion and interruption of my life when I signed up for my phone so I want to be able to easily opt out

Where do I get one of those non LTE phones? Please please please save me from the "nanny-state"!

Mayor / Maire

@SparkydogYou can just turn off LTE on your phone.