Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on November 25, 2020

Vivian_Y
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hi Community,

On November 25, 2020, provincial and territorial governments will be conducting another test of the Alert Ready system. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test alert will be distributed on TV, Radio and wireless. However, not all Canadians will receive the test alert on their mobile device. This may occur for a variety of reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage and device software and settings.

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca.

- Public Mobile Community Team

39 REPLIES 39

I miss the good old days when they had those "civil defense sirens" ("air raid sirens").

I really liked the ones in my neighbourhood which sounded like a droning submarine AWOOOGAAAAH. It was hard not to get the message at 135dB.

Way more effective than this officiously busybody "Canada Alert Ready" text messaging system. What a waste of tax dollars.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Recieved loud and clear today at 1:55pm pt. So loud it scared my cat !

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I set my phone to airplane mode for an hour this morning at my doctor's office.

I did not received Alert today unless it was sent out during my doctor appointment.

The emergency was recieved by both sim cards in my dual sim galaxy A3 (LTE/3G/2G) and (3G/2G). It was not recieved on the samsung core cell phone. On time at 1:55pm pst but about 2 minutes later on the tv?!!

No alerts received on my three test devices. No alerts received on two other devices.

No SMS-CB broadcast. Nothing to test. Much ado about nothing.

Can't say this inspires my confidence in this "emergency alert system". 🙄

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It seems emergency alert system wide fail in Alberta.

Relatives in Calgary Alberta

Bell iphone no alert

Shaw Mobile iphone no alert

@LurganIeUk wrote:

uh.....my phone is on LTE but my cellular switch is off...but I got it!!

Data doesn't need to be turned on to connect to the LTE network, nor does data need to be enabled to received the official alerts.

uh.....my phone is on LTE but my cellular switch is off...but I got it!!

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@westcoastsurf wrote:

Vancouver, LTE on, did not receive.

Ok...dumb question.....what does LTE on have to do with receiving a text??

For whatever reason, this alert system was only setup so that the messages would only be sent out over LTE networks. 

@westcoastsurf wrote:

Ok...dumb question.....what does LTE on have to do with receiving a text??

westcoastsurf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We got ours today in Port Coquitlam BC..the same place as the last test was done. We were at Costco!!!  Gee....I must hang around there toooooo much!!!

farmbot

No alert on friend's Telus phone south Alberta

No alert on other friend's Koodo phone south Alberta

How about Roger or Shaw or Bell network in Alberta?

Anyone know?

farmbot

No alert message on Android 10 device Lte connected in southern Alberta as of 4:30 mst

Got it in Toronto, ON

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Got it in BC at 1:55

Ditto. WTS 🙂 .

For anybody wondering why they didn't get it, you need to be primarily connected to LTE and to have not blocked or disabled these alerts.

The alerts can't be blocked (on most phones) other than by turning off the LTE networks. The settings in the phones to disable these alerts do nothing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Ditto. WTS 🙂 .

For anybody wondering why they didn't get it, you need to be primarily connected to LTE and to have not blocked or disabled these alerts.

Edit: thanks computergeek541. I was sure I saw that setting somewhere and I did...it was on and greyed out 🙂

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Got it exactly at 13:55 EST (Quebec) 

@Jb456 My wife's phone received it on time, mine is too old so I did not receive it.

Got it exactly at 13:55 EST (Quebec) 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here’s when the test message will be issued across the country:

Alberta: 1:55pm MST

British Columbia: 1:55pm PST

Manitoba: 1:55pm CST

New Brunswick: 10:55am AST

Newfoundland and Labrador: 10:55am NST Northwest Territories: 9:55am MST

Nova Scotia: 1:55pm AST

Nunavut: No test scheduled 

Ontario: 12:55pm EST

Prince Edward Island: 12:55pm AST

Quebec: 1:55pm EST

Saskatchewan: 1:55pm CST

Yukon: 1:55pm MST

Read more at MobileSyrup.comCanada’s public alerting system issuing test on November 25

It's most likely required....

treefarm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank for the notice.

Public Mobile is everything my previous provider wasn't. 

Beenbable to show some friends what a great deal they can get by switching .

Keep it simple Public Mobile. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for the head up.

It's good that it is only  a test.  Never want to have a real thing 🙂

@NoseyNick 

So you think we think Public Mobile thinks we think this alert about an alert shouldn't be unnecessary?

NoseyNick
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for your reply about the alert for the alert.

This is a reply to your reply about the alert for the alert.

"NOTICE: If you notice this notice, you'll notice this notice wasn't worth noticing"

@Pawprints1986 

A modded version of Signal SMS. It was a project which took a few hours (almost all of the work already done by devs, I just changed and customized things I didn't like). Now I put an hour or so into it a couple times a year (because Signal updates encryption/etc, because I can't replicate things like SMS-CB transmissions on demand).

If you can code and compile then you can change any aspect of the app's behaviour you can think of, within device hardware limits. The focus of my modding was to not be confined by the various inconvenient/undesirable privacy limitations (invasions!) the consumer version of the app is legally required to implement. Plus I wanted access to iMessage emoji libraries because I interact with some iPhoners.

https://github.com/signalapp

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth you have me curious, what have you modded ? 🤔 I'm still wondering if there's a way to get it to not over ride  do not disturb mode... Even with no sounds except repeat callers it comes through. Best I've found is a setting to not over ride silent mode, it just shows visual display which I'm cool with... I want the same with DND mode !

hbrendler
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Vivian,

Thank you for keeping us informed. I was good not to be caught off guard.

Need Help? Let's chat.