Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on November 17, 2021

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

On November 17, 2021, the Government of Canada will conduct an Alert Ready Test to compatible mobile devices in each province and territory. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test message will be distributed on TV, radio and compatible wireless devices. The emergency alert will display on customers' devices, accompanied by the alert sound, unless your phone is set to vibrate, silent or turned off. However, not all wireless devices will receive the test message. This may occur for various reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage, and device software and settings. 

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca

-  Public Mobile Community Team 

43 REPLIES 43

@GeekWithTea wrote:

Yeah, I get these but I rarely get the Amber Alert ones, which is concerning as now that I live in the city where most come from, I don't get them. I didn't turn them off either. I think they are targeting regionally, but I don't use a VPN.

The official alerts are unrelated to VPN. They do not use an internet connection.

GeekWithTea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yeah, I get these but I rarely get the Amber Alert ones, which is concerning as now that I live in the city where most come from, I don't get them. I didn't turn them off either. I think they are targeting regionally, but I don't use a VPN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : What's with the scare quotes? Have you seen the pictures? It's incredible in its scope. A months rain in two days. Insane.

I got it right on the scheduled time myself.. but I am in Ontario..

For BC.. there is a real "disaster" now.. no need another Test, i guess. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : A state of emergency does nothing for the selfish idiot hoarders. Unbelievable. Supply lines can be through Osoyoos or AB. The rest is only needed for those washouts and a new friggin dike (I spelt it wrong) for that US river south of Abbotsford.

@Anonymous 

When you have serious damage to supply lines a province wide state of emergency is necessary to not only prevent hoarding and price gouging but opens up the ability to recieve federal relief from everything from cash to the armed forces.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I question a province-wide state of emergency. Southwest sure. Oh well. I'm not in charge.

@Anonymous 

No one I know recieved it but given the state of our province right now I can see why they cancelled it. Still for a nationwide test it doesn't bode well for this alert.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

Did I miss something? I thought I mixed up my days but there was no Alert sent out either on cell phones or on TV? The lack of comment today leads me to believe no one else recieved it?

It's possible the test was cancelled in BC since a province-wide emergency declaration was in effect at noon Pacific time yesterday, almost 2 hours before the scheduled test at 1:55PM PST.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : News. 3 accounts here and 1 Telus did not.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious I had received it yesterday right on time at 155pm EST. 

Did I miss something? I thought I mixed up my days but there was no Alert sent out either on cell phones or on TV? The lack of comment today leads me to believe no one else recieved it?

@ham_ahma wrote:

I'm also interested to know how it went. Please share your experience with others!!

haha.. likely another round of 911 Calls.. People are scared with these alerts and need to cry for help.

ham_ahma

I'm also interested to know how it went. Please share your experience with others!!

stevenanto

@softech Thank you for the times!

everyone ready?  this is the exact time :

PROVINCE/TERRITORY

LOCAL TESTING TIME

Alberta*

1:55 PM MST

British Columbia

1:55 PM PST

Manitoba

1:55 PM CST

New Brunswick

10:55 AM AST

Northwest Territories

9:55 AM MST

Nova Scotia

1:55 PM AST

Newfoundland and Labrador

10:55 AM NST

Nunavut

2:00 PM EST

Ontario

12:55 PM EST

Prince Edward Island

12:55 PM AST

Quebec

1:55 PM EST

Saskatchewan

1:55 PM CST

Yukon

1:55 PM PDT

Rusty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just waiting until Fast Food companies get their own "Alert System".

"WEE WOO WEE WOO"

WARNING! 2 can dine for $12.49 ends tonight!!

"WEE WOO WEE WOO"

0PX9O4

@dougc wrote:

@0PX9O4 

Thanks for mentioning that,  about alert being possibly 'pushed'  thru even just a  vibrate setting .   

Will be an experiment  🙂

Switching over now (also requires ring/notification volume turned off) otherwise will likely forget  . . . .

Cool! @dougc Please post an update tomorrow to let us know how it went.

dougc

@0PX9O4 

Thanks for mentioning that,  about alert being possibly 'pushed'  thru even just a  vibrate setting .   

Will be an experiment  🙂

Switching over now (also requires ring/notification volume turned off) otherwise will likely forget  . . . .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WoozyPolarBear : I think I'd prefer to see alerts as they happen. (nevermind the top bar...it's a screencap)

z10user4_0-1637078806789.png

@WoozyPolarBear 

What are these studies based on? Since they are still testing the system how can there have been conclusive study? With so many people who do not rely on broadcast television, radio or other traditional means of getting information the Alert Ready System is an important emergency broadcast method that can deliver life saving information to affected people quickly and efficiently.

With the widespread natural disasters unfolding over the last 48 hours and the devastating wildfires this summer in BC this system needs to be up and running sooner rather than later as climate change creates more and more of these kind of severe weather related conditions that can lead to states of emergencies that we could not have imagined a decade ago.

WoozyPolarBear

@stevenanto wrote:

These alerts startle me every time, so loud but it can save lives. 

Many studies have actually concluded that these alerts do basically nothing in terms of public safety, and are virtually useless. 

@softech, I can't force my students to turn off their phones. I teach in a higher education, and as adults, I ask students to take the calls outside of the room. We will all be running outside! hehe

@mpcdesign wrote:

Oh great! So, while I be teaching, all our phones in class will be going off on the 17th! Wonderful! 

@mpcdesign haha.. their phone should be all during class time everyday !!! LoL

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Oh great! So, while I be teaching, all our phones in class will be going off on the 17th! Wonderful! 

0PX9O4

@dougc 

I thought the audible alerts come through even with the device set to vibrate-only. Is that not the case?

dougc

Thanks for  the 'heads-up' !

Will make a note to switch over mid-month,   to vibrate  !

EstherAnn

Thanks for letting me know

stevenanto

These alerts startle me every time, so loud but it can save lives. 

Need Help? Let's chat.