Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on Nov 16

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

On November 16, 2022, the Government of Canada will conduct an Alert Ready Test📢 to compatible mobile devices in each province and territory. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test message will be distributed on TV, radio and compatible wireless devices. The emergency alert will display on customers' devices, accompanied by the alert sound, unless your phone is set to vibrate, silent or turned off. However, not all wireless devices will receive the test message. This may occur for various reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage, and device software and settings.

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alert ready.ca.

- Public Mobile Team 

10 REPLIES 10

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This ability will end though, I'm pretty sure. The workaround for now is wcdma only when you truly don't want to be disturbed (as they override do not disturb), but with them killing wcdma that's going away fairly soon

I have no issues with them existing, but just make them a standard text. Anyone awake and around is probably already staring at their phone. Anyone at work is working, anyone asleep is sleeping, etc

Better yet make them MMS and send us a **bleep** picture of who we're supposed to be looking for. Even for people already out who could easily look, unless they already know those people in which case they're already looking, but if they don't know them, how many middle aged men have short black hair as a random example ?

I believe that to some extent, these test might have negative unintended consequences.  Not wanting to be alerted of a test (especially when the customer arleady knows what the emergency messages look like and that they work on the device), some customers will simply find ways of making it so that the test message doesn't get received. This means that if there really is an emergency today, less people will know about it.

Cool.

this is the schedule.  coming up the BC soon

PROVINCE/TERRITORY

LOCAL TESTING TIME

Alberta

1:55 PM MST

British Columbia

1:55 PM PST

Manitoba

1:55 PM CST

New Brunswick

1:55 PM AST

Newfoundland & Labrador

10:55 AM NST

Northwest Territories

1:55 PM NST

Nova Scotia

1:55 PM AST

Nunavut

2:00 PM EST

Ontario

12:55 PM EST

Prince Edward Island

No test scheduled

Quebec

1:55 PM EST

Saskatchewan

1:55 PM CST

Yukon

1:55 PM PDT

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I just received the AB alert while waiting room. Suddenly, every cellphones are getting the alert.

Miffed
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wonder if this has to do with Nasa's alert of an impending, wait ... did it just pass ... NEO!?

breezey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks!

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Kind of amazing they're still testing this when they've been forcing it into compatible devices for years, isn't it? I mean, is that just me?

It would be nice if it just used your systems own sound that you use for regular texts, and wouldn't override DND mode. It gets thru DND which otherwise means "shut up except for this person" or even just "shut up unless they call more than once within X minutes"

JennL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for this! I'll have to set a reminder to turn my phone to silent before I go to bed that night. I usually have it on vibrate at the other end of the room and the constant buzzing and flashing is a horrible way to wake up.

Great point. Post is now pinned! 😊

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

Another heads up! Thanks.....But has anyone seen it? Shouldn't announcements even mundane ones by pinned to the community's landing page for customers to actually see?

Need Help? Let's chat.