cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Alert Ready Test on May 8, 2019

It's TRUE, I often set my phone to DND mode and the stupid alert go off like the apocalypse is here.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Let the fun begin!  Or not  Smiley Happy

My wife subscribed to the LTE data plan and she gets the alert on her iPhone 6. I have the Hwawei P20 Pro, subscribing to the 3G service, and I am not getting the alerts. Does it mean all those on 3G networks will not be getting the alert?

I checked the Emergency Alert web site:

"In order for a wireless device to be capable of receiving an alert three broad conditions must be met.

The wireless device must be:

• A wireless public alerting (WPA) compatible device, like a smartphone, capable of connecting to an LTE network (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”); and
  • Equipped with the latest version of its operating software; and
  • Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued or joins the network while the alert is still active.

Older cell phones that operate exclusively on non-LTE networks will not get an alert. "

@pckku, have you forced a 3G only connection on your phone, or are you still allowing it to connect to LTE?

If you are forcing the 3G connection, you are expected to not get the alerts.  If your throttled 3G speed LTE plan is using the LTE, you *should* be getting if the P20 is compatible.

EDIT : made reference to the P30, rather than P20.

@Klane wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@zork1984, the notifications seem to be Provincewide, rather than smaller regions.  Possibly Ontario *could*  be broken up smaller, but why bother?  It's an emergency alert - we're all getting it (if issue do not prevent the notification).

I literally just said why bother.... I dont want to be bothered by alerts in another region or woken up. I AM all for putting amber alerts on the highway signs or the police know where they may be headed target those areas... they dont need to broadcast it to people that are in thier house... I wont be able to help from my bed.... and I dont want them waking my family or upsetting my kids for no good reason.

There are plenty of good reasons to design an emergency alert system in Canada, and I AM IN TOTAL SUPPORT of the Emergency Alert System (EAS).  However, the EAS is different from situations such as rules that affect public safety such as Traffic laws, seat-belts, mandatory airport security screenings etc. where they are designed to safeguard the life of others.  So I do see the rationale for some that they do not want to be bothered by such EAS, and considered it as "Optional".  Their choices NOT to participate in finding a missing child, getting alerts on natural disasters, evacuations, etc.  So, perhaps there should be a system in place for people to opt out of this EAS. We are living in a democratic society and people should have a choice. However, even a person never giving blood to the blood bank, will always get the blood he/she needs during operation.  Every time when someone (whether or not they support the EAS system) own loved ones are missing, there will be people like yourself helping out by receiving the emergency alert messages!  Smiley Happy

@stonechucker wrote:

@pckku, have you forced a 3G only connection on your phone, or are you still allowing it to connect to LTE?

If you are forcing the 3G connection, you are expected to not get the alerts.  If your throttled 3G speed LTE plan is using the LTE, you *should* be getting if the P20 is compatible.

EDIT : made reference to the P30, rather than P20.

I checked and did turn off the LTE. Have turned it back on and will wait for May 8 to confirm if this work...

I remember a line from the TV Show 'The Big Bang Theory' in reference to a previous quote from the character 'Spock' of StarTrek series and movies.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

@pckku 

I actually support the system, I just believe it needs improvement.  allow opt out as I believe it's a right to now be disturbed.  

My biggest suggestion is in cases like that last amber alert, put it on highway signs & radio as it will reach people in thier cars... then only send the message to phones hitting towers in that region.  

I am over 4 hours east and the woman was heading west so no need to notify eastern Ontario at all.  Plus I am at home so they aren't showing up here or my local stores.  Again highway boards and radio + targeted towers is the solution to a good EBS

Way too late for kids with school in the morning !

@stonechucker wrote:

I remember a line from the TV Show 'The Big Bang Theory' in reference to a previous quote from the character 'Spock' of StarTrek series and movies.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

Tv is fiction, spock is not real or a citizen  of earth, we as people have the right not to be bothered by information that does not pertain to us... the ont govt is spamming our phones, please see my previous comments on how to have a better system.