Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on May 4, 2022

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

On May 4, 2022, the Government of Canada will conduct an Alert Ready Test📢 to compatible mobile devices in each province and territory, except Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test message will be distributed on TV, radio and compatible wireless devices. The emergency alert will display on customers' devices, accompanied by the alert sound, unless your phone is set to vibrate, silent or turned off. However, not all wireless devices will receive the test message. This may occur for various reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage, and device software and settings. 

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca

- Public Mobile Community Team 

10 REPLIES 10

JL9
Mayor / Maire

So being in Ontario I guess I don't get to join in the fun

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Is BC opting in this time around?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Last test in AB, I was using a ZTE tablet with SIM card using mobile data as WiFi hot spot to monitor a house remotely

-  Ecobee thermostat for temperature + backdoor open/close sensor,

-  Chanberlain garage door opener + control outside light on/off at night

-  webcam at front door to see who is near the front door

-  webcam inside the garage to confirm the Chamberlain opener is not lying.

The day after the alert, I went to check on this house and heard beeping periodically.  This tablet keeps beeping every 10 minutes until I acknowledged the alarm.

@darlicious 

BC will broadcast emergency alert tests on TV and radio, but not on cellular services. BC did install and test some half-hearted SMS-CB stuff in some cities in previous years but they're not considered part of the Canada-wide SMS-CB network (yet).

https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca/alert-ready-wireless-public-alerting/

zlocksca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The next test for the provinces excluded from the May 4 test is on November 16 here is where I found the information:> https://www.alertready.ca/testing-schedule/

Thanks @zlocksca .  I was wondering if this is now a twice a year exercise.  You answered my question now.  Thanks

But my other question would be why some provinces are only having the test once a year and not twice???

zlocksca

I am not sure why some provinces have a test and others do not though I have seen if a province has had several alerts close to a test the test was cancelled example something like alerts with in a month of the test dates 

@zlocksca wrote:

I am not sure why some provinces have a test and others do not ...

Different provinces have different access to national politics, pay different taxes, have different qualities of healthcare/education/etc.

The government will spend money on things the government deems most important. It's in no rush to spend money on things it considers less important.

zlocksca

Not sure how provinces having different access to national politics would affect if they performed a emergency notification system test as it could be easily automated. 

Are you saying the differences between party forming government in the province is going to affect if a tornado alert is going to be issued late in one province and early in a different province?