Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the recent changes

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello Community,

The past week has been full of announcements and changes: we launched 3G speed plans, we made our SIM cards available at Walmart, we changed the pricing for 4G LTE plans, and we changed how our support model works. That’s a lot. I want to take the time to thank you for coming on this journey with us, for reading all about the changes, and for voicing your opinions (good and bad). I also want to take some time to share with all of you, the path of learning we have been on at Public Mobile, in hopes that it provides context to some of the changes you have seen.

Nearly two years ago, we defined what ‘doing wireless differently’ would look like, and we launched Public Mobile in beta. At the time, we had a grand vision of being a small niche brand that appealed to a very specific person - a ‘life hacker.’ Many of you joined us during that time and have been with us through the ups and downs (and we love you for it). Since then, we have learned a lot. We have learned about our competition, our industry, and most importantly, we have learned a lot about Canadians and how they use their wireless services.

Those learnings are what have brought us to today and to the changes you’re seeing now. We’re coming up with new ways to deliver more options for Canadians and new ways to remain competitive. Many of these decisions were challenging to make - change always is - but we believe they are the right things to do to continue to offer Canadians more choice and flexibility at great rates on Canada’s largest mobile network. And we believe we’re celebrating those changes by being transparent about it through our “Less for Less” campaign: managing expectations and making sure that customers know that they are trading some frills in favour of lower prices.

Today, I ask you to continue supporting us on this journey. If you have a plan you love, keep enjoying it. If you have a friend who wants a great network for less, tell them about us - why we’re great and why we are different. We aren’t for everyone, but we believe we are the right choice for a lot of Canadians. We are not who we were a few weeks ago, but we are proud of how we’ve evolved to keep up with the wireless needs of Canadians and hope you will join us on this path.

Sincerely,

Dave

195 REPLIES 195

Tallguy11
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13amwrote:

@jtm02 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

So it's out with the old: "At the time, we had a grand vision of being a small niche brand that appealed to a very specific person - a ‘life hacker.’" Robot Very Happy

And in with the new: "offer Canadians more choice and flexibility at great rates on Canada’s largest mobile network. And we believe we’re celebrating those changes by being transparent about it through our “Less for Less” campaign: managing expectations and making sure that customers know that they are trading some frills in favour of lower prices." 

Some expectations to manage:

a) when offered, how long are promo prices "guaranteed"? 30 Days notice

b) are future promos to be restricted or open to all? Targeted at Chatr Customers

We do tend to forget that Publlc Mobile is a work in progress (Brownian motion anyone?) and not yet cast in stone. Robot wink

Adding what I am worried about for the future in RED to @Luddite, post

How will the 30 days notice work? I will only have to pay the updated amount when I go to renew on my renewal date?

The 30 day notice is in the fine print.  It basically says that they are free to change any terms and conditions by simply giving you a 30 day notice.  Unless you receive this notice, there will be no change when you renew. 

I would be happy with 90 day notice. Since we are on 90 day plans.. This way I can run out my plan and switch away from telus! 

In related news; CCTS has job postings for complaint resolution officers Cat LOL

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ShawnC13

Thank you for editing @Wonder_why's post , greatly appreciated. I was very disturbed by the blasé comment and associated emoticons...

Bella
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Called up customer service with Koodo. They were very helpful.  

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Bellawrote:

Staying with Koodo. Got my SIM card fee credited. The $50 refer a friend and $100 bill credit I’m not going back to Public. They messaged and said I could but with no existing referral or loyalty credits. 

@Bella may I ask, how did you got your Sim Card credit ? I might switch 1 more line to Koodo, even there will not raise the price on March 20th

Bella

Staying with Koodo. Got my SIM card fee credited. The $50 refer a friend and $100 bill credit I’m not going back to Public. They messaged and said I could but with no existing referral or loyalty credits. 

@Wonder_why i am editing your post the comparison you made is not even close to what those victims face and not something we should use as a comparison standard

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wonder_why

@Bella you can always come back but not same $$$, would you come back again? 😉😀

@Bellawrote:

What about if we went to Koodo, are you going to allow us back to Public on our same plan. Very disappointed. Hope you let us back. 

Bella

What about if we went to Koodo, are you going to allow us back to Public on our same plan. Very disappointed. Hope you let us back. 

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would like to shamefully recall my first post on this topic. I was very wrong.

I actulaly had a glitch line that stayed active for over a year when I wasn't even using / paying for it

It was funny I thought but it got fixed eventually

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001cwrote:

@Rockdaddy22 don't Oracles get service for free basically?

I don’t know why you’d say that. Plus most month I don’t even get the right amount. 

The only reason I might stay is for @Shazia_K, she’s the absolute best 🙂

srlawren

@kav2001cwrote:

@srlawren hmm ... well just as an FYI then....

Koodo Oracles get plan discounts PLUS free hardware (seriously, they send them phones to "test" and report back on)

I actually had my service down to $0 at one point on referals alone but not optimistic about future 

Wow good to know @kav2001c! I've never really spent any time on the Koodo community .I guess I better get acquainted with it now. Sigh .  Edit: not that I want to be an oracle anywhere else ever again 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@kav2001cwrote:

Not even close this price increase word out my Oracle reward so basically auto-pay, loyalty and referral (if any left) if what reduces my price now

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren hmm ... well just as an FYI then....

Koodo Oracles get plan discounts PLUS free hardware (seriously, they send them phones to "test" and report back on)

I actually had my service down to $0 at one point on referals alone but not optimistic about future 

srlawren

@kav2001cwrote:

@kav2001c no, definitely not. The community reward is only marginally higher at the oracle level. Anyone doing it for the reward is doing it doe the wrong reason.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

IWIK

RIP PM

Rockdaddy22

What a joke this is, the dream is dead. 

JackL

Thanks for the reply. I am glad you are on the same side. PM's term still contradict what they were offering, according to screenshot during signup. Anyways, this have nothing to do with you. Just PM.

For furture reference:

screenshot.png

@JackLwrote:
@ShawnC13wrote:
@JackL wrote:
Totally agree with u.
On top of that, PM system is BUGGY. Activation problems, signal problems etc.

If you want to charge as same as what others have. You better offer what others have as well.

Your $10 Oracle people is far not enough to replace call center. And you are being cheap. I am sure all those people spend more than an hour on the forum to help people out, and $10, not even minimum wage for an hour of work. Tsk. Now you want to charge more from customer. NO!

How likely am I willing to recommend friends to PM?
Absolutely NOT.

Am I satisfied with PM?
After price change, absolutely NOT.
Buggy lack of support, lack of roaming countries, being cheap, lack of communication by changing price without notice. Not honoring legacy plan by keeping the price. Now let's see how long PM would increase price on those people who got 4GB data promo previously.

@JackL, it states that prices and plans can change without notice.  That will be the same with all providers PM is no different. Legacy plan pricing was honoured for over 2 years.  We must remember it wasn't Telus that offered the Legacy Plans. But they did offer the Fall Promo and the Freedom Promo so it will be interesting to see how long those prices stay around.

PM slapped you right there IN YOUR FACE @ShawnC13.

At least legacy plan honored for two years, fall promotion didnt even last close to 2 years.

Price didnt even last for a year since your comment.

FINE PM WANTS TO DELETE THIS POST SHAME ON YOU PM.

@JackL, it is a slap in the face to all of us and didn't I say they could change prices at anytime and wonder how long the other promo's would last?  Doesn't it look like I was almost expecting a change coming?!?!

JackL
@ShawnC13wrote:
@JackL wrote:
Totally agree with u.
On top of that, PM system is BUGGY. Activation problems, signal problems etc.

If you want to charge as same as what others have. You better offer what others have as well.

Your $10 Oracle people is far not enough to replace call center. And you are being cheap. I am sure all those people spend more than an hour on the forum to help people out, and $10, not even minimum wage for an hour of work. Tsk. Now you want to charge more from customer. NO!

How likely am I willing to recommend friends to PM?
Absolutely NOT.

Am I satisfied with PM?
After price change, absolutely NOT.
Buggy lack of support, lack of roaming countries, being cheap, lack of communication by changing price without notice. Not honoring legacy plan by keeping the price. Now let's see how long PM would increase price on those people who got 4GB data promo previously.

@JackL, it states that prices and plans can change without notice.  That will be the same with all providers PM is no different. Legacy plan pricing was honoured for over 2 years.  We must remember it wasn't Telus that offered the Legacy Plans. But they did offer the Fall Promo and the Freedom Promo so it will be interesting to see how long those prices stay around.

PM slapped you right there IN YOUR FACE @ShawnC13.

At least legacy plan honored for two years, fall promotion didnt even last close to 2 years.

Price didnt even last for a year since your comment.

FINE PM WANTS TO DELETE THIS POST SHAME ON YOU PM.

srlawren

@Jenniferhacking wrote:
Does This usually happen? Because I run a business and I can't have my phone not working. It's very important I get my phone going if not I'm going to have to go with a different career.

@Jenniferhacking unfortunately it is a possibility.  For anyone that needs near instant fix of issues, PM may not be the best fit.  Sometimes you get what you pay for, so if you need that guaranteed uptime, you may need to pay a little more by using a different provider.

@Jenniferhacking wrote:
Does This usually happen? Because I run a business and I can't have my phone not working. It's very important I get my phone going if not I'm going to have to go with a different career.

@Jenniferhacking It's rare; been here 3 years with no service interruptions. However, peruse my thoughts on the matter if you wish:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/SECURITY-OF-SERVICE/m-p/23214#M4783

Is your service down? If yes, check this post: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/SERVICE-SUSPENDED-ACCOUNT-PAID-

BTW: You have posted to an old thread. In future you will have more assurance of help by creating your own topic on the forum, or sending a private message directly to the moderators.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Jenniferhacking 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jenniferhacking
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@Jenniferhacking,

I like your name. 🙂

I've tagged the moderators for you. They are very busy helping other customers. Hopefully they will help you soon. Thanks.

@CS_Agent

Rockdaddy22
Everyone who has this issue should send a private message to @CS_Agent immediately. I'm so sorry you're experiencing these issues

Jenniferhacking
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I paid for 3 months on aug 5th and after a few weeks I'm disconnected. And I can't seem to talk to anyone. Please help me as I have important phone calls I'm not able to take

Rockdaddy22
Need Help? Let's chat.