Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the recent changes

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello Community,

The past week has been full of announcements and changes: we launched 3G speed plans, we made our SIM cards available at Walmart, we changed the pricing for 4G LTE plans, and we changed how our support model works. That’s a lot. I want to take the time to thank you for coming on this journey with us, for reading all about the changes, and for voicing your opinions (good and bad). I also want to take some time to share with all of you, the path of learning we have been on at Public Mobile, in hopes that it provides context to some of the changes you have seen.

Nearly two years ago, we defined what ‘doing wireless differently’ would look like, and we launched Public Mobile in beta. At the time, we had a grand vision of being a small niche brand that appealed to a very specific person - a ‘life hacker.’ Many of you joined us during that time and have been with us through the ups and downs (and we love you for it). Since then, we have learned a lot. We have learned about our competition, our industry, and most importantly, we have learned a lot about Canadians and how they use their wireless services.

Those learnings are what have brought us to today and to the changes you’re seeing now. We’re coming up with new ways to deliver more options for Canadians and new ways to remain competitive. Many of these decisions were challenging to make - change always is - but we believe they are the right things to do to continue to offer Canadians more choice and flexibility at great rates on Canada’s largest mobile network. And we believe we’re celebrating those changes by being transparent about it through our “Less for Less” campaign: managing expectations and making sure that customers know that they are trading some frills in favour of lower prices.

Today, I ask you to continue supporting us on this journey. If you have a plan you love, keep enjoying it. If you have a friend who wants a great network for less, tell them about us - why we’re great and why we are different. We aren’t for everyone, but we believe we are the right choice for a lot of Canadians. We are not who we were a few weeks ago, but we are proud of how we’ve evolved to keep up with the wireless needs of Canadians and hope you will join us on this path.

Sincerely,

Dave

195 REPLIES 195

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Thank you! I hope everyone has a nice weekend! 🙂

TheOldVR

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Interesting reading all these comments 🙂

^^^ This.

Just a few comments as I wanted to stay out of conversations related to the recent changes now... with that said:

1) @Dave_M: thanks for the note, not sure we could expect more from a corporate communication but thanks for at least trying to reach out. There is a ton of feedback here that I suggest PM really takes in to consideration as the feedback is from some of your most loyal customers.

@2) @PM - please talk to a marketing company about your whole "Less for Less" thing.... you might have avoided a lot of negativity if you didn't select that slogan.

@3) @Everyone.... this is baked now peeps. Good to share your thoughts if you have not already, but otherwise I suggest we move on and get back to enjoying life... It's FRIDAY!!!

So, EVERYONE... hope you have a great weekend, enjoy the weather, and party on!!! ✌🏾

🤔 Now I wonder if the dude that was waiting 2-3 weeks for his SIM card to start working is okay now.... 

Michael77
Hi,

I believe this is the wrong direction for Public Mobile to take. Your 4g LTE plans are very expensive and your 3g plans mirror Chatr. With these prices I feel you should have call centres.

It seems like you are targeting a different type of client. I do hope this strategy works out for you but as someone else mentioned, the market will dictate. I assume you know what is best for your business. I guess if things do not work out, you could always change your direction again in the future.

Thank you.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I believe the sales will come with back to school, and black friday boxing day etc.

At which point they may have 50% off, wait isnt 50% off just the same as pricing from early 2017. yup. Or just enough of a sale to compete with Chatr etc.

@Dave_M, The 3G has PPL up jumping and galloping across the Spectrum, what PM needs is a Killer PROMO, LIke HAPPY HOUR, a 1 HR Firesale Promo, who knows, maybethat might make the Masses happy, and keep Little Nicky in the Sandbox, lol

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Interesting reading all these comments 🙂

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Imagine going into No-Frills and paying Loblaws pricing?...... Whoa!!!

Halfdome
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
So sorry to see this new direction that public mobile is taking. I think that your loyal customers were your best advertising source but by making such drastic increases how can we promote your plans anymore. I was just looking at koodos plans and one offers more for less money. Public mobile seems like a Sears ad which shows big discounts when there isn't really any savings. I hope that you return to the way you were.

SmEdD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

All talk no substance, I had 6GB+everything else you need for $65 a month with Bell when I moved over, and that was missing the Nov promo by a day. The concept and standard pricing of PM was amazing. A company that wasn't greedy but were here to provide a solid service. I have since told many people about it and helped 5 people moved over. You lost my loyalty with this change and if a deal comes up else where I will be jumping ship.

Dave I think you need to do you homework on what made PM the way it is; cheap, reliable and family. Now it is just reliable.

A good book you should read is "The Power of Why".

@jtm02 30 days notice before your renewal date

Required by wireless code

@jtm02 wrote:

How will the 30 days notice work? I will only have to pay the updated amount when I go to renew on my renewal date?

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Dave_M

I don't understand this: “Less for Less” campaign: managing expectations and making sure that customers know that they are trading some frills in favour of lower prices.

I see the less frills, but I don't see the lower prices (as they have essentially gone up, because we used to have more ["frills" if that is what PM is calling it]). It looks more like "More for Less" to me.

As a friend of mine recently said, "It's not about the quantity [more gigs in this case], but the quality [3G vs LTE]". Isn't that what drew FM clients to change to PM with the most recent promo? What good is more data if you can't access it as freely as you want to?

Thanks for updating us back. But things still not clear as they suppose to i know lots of peoples who were about to join pm. And lots of my friend ordered sim already but this new plan doesn't seems attractive to them actually doesn't attract any of them and they all moving to freedom. Which is reasonable some how. Pm prices are pretty much same as big 3 carrier and they are like if they have to pay that much they would prefer going by 3 big carrier or freedom instead pm.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

ryanwoo
The market will tell you if you're doing the right thing or not... It's not what you think...

@Raven_Jet wrote:
I wasn't expecting to hear a message so quickly from the team. I am happy to hear from you.

Thank you for the letter :)!!!

PM staff and us Oracles are part of the community just like you all are. We care and take further steps in order to keep the community together Smiley Happy

Wonder_why

@canucks4life wrote:

LMAO Canuck tell Dave to show us good PROMO Cat Happy

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for sharing this @Dave_M

IWIK
Learn not to love. A corporation anyway.
Haha

Adam Sandler, he has songs that bring memories, and perhaps we need some comedy to help soothe our minds

I know how PPL may feel about the situation.

It's exceptionally painful, yet sometimes necessary.

Here's a Song that could inspire some motivation skills

@jtm02 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

So it's out with the old: "At the time, we had a grand vision of being a small niche brand that appealed to a very specific person - a ‘life hacker.’" Robot Very Happy

And in with the new: "offer Canadians more choice and flexibility at great rates on Canada’s largest mobile network. And we believe we’re celebrating those changes by being transparent about it through our “Less for Less” campaign: managing expectations and making sure that customers know that they are trading some frills in favour of lower prices." 

Some expectations to manage:

a) when offered, how long are promo prices "guaranteed"? 30 Days notice

b) are future promos to be restricted or open to all? Targeted at Chatr Customers

We do tend to forget that Publlc Mobile is a work in progress (Brownian motion anyone?) and not yet cast in stone. Robot wink

Adding what I am worried about for the future in RED to @Luddite, post

How will the 30 days notice work? I will only have to pay the updated amount when I go to renew on my renewal date?

The 30 day notice is in the fine print.  It basically says that they are free to change any terms and conditions by simply giving you a 30 day notice.  Unless you receive this notice, there will be no change when you renew. 

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you Dave. It explains some recent change, hope PM becomes better. Offer more affordable wireless plan for us. Thank you PM team and keep moving. Smiley Very Happy 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

OMG, this diatribe has as much substance as a speech from a politician.  Bottom line is all previously available LTE plans have gone up 50% overnight.  By any measure, Public Mobile is a no frills company selling at top shelf pricing.  I would not call it flattery to immitate Chatr.  Is this less for less approach going to include shrinking the home zone ala Chatr in the future?  That would be the ultimate in giving customers even less.  As long as my grandfathered plan stays the way it is, I am happy to stay put.  Don't expect me to bring any customers over at the current prices. 

Watoko

That's what PR really is. Just fluffed up stories to calm the masses.

IWIK
@Dave_M I really don't see how this answered any pricing questions. More like "we did what we did, so yea..."

With some fluff and thanks thrown in.

@Jamar_so_far wrote:

@xtwister

I really don't see this happening, they will honor it, as realistically, how many users are there on PM? Anyone fathom a guess? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite wrote:

@jtm02 "a) when offered, how long are promo prices "guaranteed"? 30 Days notice

b) are future promos to be restricted or open to all? Targeted at Chatr Customers"

These responses are definitely "tongue in cheek"

I had this more in mind:

a) 3 years

b) open to all

@Luddite, yes they were to an extent.  I was just stating that there truly is no guarantee to our pricing and with 30 days notice ty can change it.

My fear for future promo's is that we won't see what we have in the past 12 gb LTE $120 as I am sure it took to many top tier clients but we will see more promos directed at Chatr an maybe  again at Freedom.

My comments  are just my concerns.  I am still personally a very happy PM custmoer and so is my wife and we have no intention on leaving.

@sheytoon, agree with your post totally!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Jamar_so_far

@xtwister

I really don't see this happening, they will honor it, as realistically, how many users are there on PM? Anyone fathom a guess? 

Jamar_so_far

I think that new sub's (prior to price hike) or old legacy users are a bit jaded because they thought they were signing up for something different than just another telecom company, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. I think now it's a prove that you're still different and own the motto "less is less." 

I'm personally not happy about the change in plans because I can't really recommend it to any family members or friends, which I was previously hyping up with the great plan deals. But it remains to be seen if they continue to offer competitive promo deals and if they do, I will of course recommend the company. 

Its just hard not to see this and go "uh-oh, I see where this is headed" with the recent price/plan changes. 

@jtm02 "a) when offered, how long are promo prices "guaranteed"? 30 Days notice

b) are future promos to be restricted or open to all? Targeted at Chatr Customers"

These responses are definitely "tongue in cheek"

I had this more in mind:

a) 3 years

b) open to all

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Respectfully, the message from Dave doesn't really say anything other than "we have heard that you guys are not happy, but this is the way it's gonna be". This direction is certainly coming down from up top (TELUS).

I just hope grandfathered plans do not get price increases in the future.

Need Help? Let's chat.