Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@echasketchwrote:

Great, I literally just ported over to Koodo. Why wasn't this communicated via text if that was the contact method you chose to notify the price increase? 😞

Some of us never even got the initial text. I didn't officially found out until logging on to the self-serve, when someone mentioned the message there.

This whole thing is a complete sh1t show.

slavitch
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Do you have any point in being a jerk? 

proto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@echasketchwrote:

Great, I literally just ported over to Koodo. Why wasn't this communicated via text if that was the contact method you chose to notify the price increase? 😞

I'd file a complaint against koodo for tricking you into taking their plan out of fear.  Force them to reverse the change.  Do whatever you can.

slavitch

You lost. Stop embarrassing yourself.

ToniCipriani

@Alexowrote:

@Dave_Mwrote:

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today.

I see this as nothing but damage control and setting the stage for a similar trick in the (possibly near) future.

The nost important thing that is conspiciously not addressed is the following statement (emphasis mine):

If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.

That was communicated to the customers on an official channel.

The wording of the promise is unambiguous, and the wording of Dave's letter is also unambiguous in that Telus/PM plan to violate that promise as soon as the furor dies down.

I urge everybody to take copies and screenshots of the thread in order to have proof of the promise even if PM decides to delete or modify that post.

The original thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

The latest copy saved on the wayback machine:

https://wayback.archive.org/web/20180216162521/https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announ...

A copy I just saved on archive.is:

https://archive.is/80Ma4

Remember, this is not over!

Also, for all those that submitted CCTS complaints:

When you are contacted, please insist that the only acceptable resolution for this fiasco is for Telus/PM to publically commit to honouring all the promises given to its customers.

I kind of feel bad for Brooke now. Hope she doesn't lose her job for writing this.

89alucas

Dave, 

While I'm glad we're able to keep our plans (for now apparently), I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say I hope a lesson was learned.

I understand it's unrealistic to think that I can hold on to this plan until I am 80 and still be paying $35 dollars a month. The economics of inflation go far beyond what I fully comprehend, but I get it. Things will continue to cost more money. And it's not necessarily the fact that you and telus were trying to raise the price. It's the sly,  underhanded way in which it was presented. Give people more time to prepare. Don't renew someone's contract 1 month before the switch will happen. If you need to raise prices, I think it's fair to do it gradually with inflation.

People love public mobile for the prepaid way it is run. I want to know that what I pay for is what I get to use. I don't want to be forced to another company like loads who will nickel and dime me for every little thing.  We want more choice in the wireless world we live in. Public mobile was something that tried to go against the corporate ways of telus, Bell, and Rogers. Companies that literally care about NOTHING else except their bottom lines. Making sure the CEO, CFO, CIO, CMO, and whatever other chief officers there are all had their bank accounts steadily climbing. Public mobile is a no frills, community based option for everyone who was sick of getting shafted over and over again.

So keep being different. Be the company everyone signed up for thought you would be.

Lucas

proto

@adam_19wwrote:

Humm glad public has backed down, but still I’m left unsure if I should just take the deal anyway or wait and see what they do in the future. 

WAIT and HOLD your plan because internet resources are only going to become more of a necessity and big companies will eventually be forced to decrease costs for service.  Always keep a lookout for better deals.

There's no need to take that deal because that deal is already a load of BS.

Balur

@MVP infamous doesn't mean "Not Famous" it means "Famous for a bad reason", similiar to notorous. It's infamous because they screwed up, and everyone knows about it and hates it.

dickwong

You have done the harm and caused frustration.  Instead of just reverting your decision, Public Mobile should honor to each customer $100 credit in order to release the anger.

As your customer, I still feel betrayed and be cheated.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Garrywrote:

@pakmodewrote:

@Garrywrote:

I'm still moving to Koodo while the opportunity is presenting itself. 

Telus will find a legal way to shut this down without any concern or compensation next time and they be the last one laughing here.....

You may have won the battle today, but you all know Telus will win the war. 

Leave now, while you can.......

Gary - you could not be more wrong.

Today we witnessed Internet Justice.

We witnessed 2500 filed complaints to the CCTS (they received 9000 last year TOTAL!).

This has emboldened the Internet Mob to be even more vocal and aggressive.  This is akin to their Second Amendment fight. 

The next time Telus does this there will be 5000 CCTS complaints. The Internet Mob will be even more vocal and outraged.  They have learned, they have evolved.  They are smarter and will not lose again. 

Today demonstrated to the Internet Mob that they could win.

They will be even more dogged and determined next time. 

They know how to win now Gary.  And you don't. You're not used to winning are you.

I've been waiting for an opportunity to leave this clusterfuk division of Telus......This is my out and I'm taking it. See ya!

Lol. Fair enough.

We all gotta take a package someday.

Just like 25% of the Shaw workforce who accepted voluntary packages this week lol. 

pokepok

Correct..but i will not trust them anymore. Given the chance, if a great promo from Freedom comes along, i will no longer be a PM subscriber. I will never ever give my business to Telus and its subsidiary like Koodo and PM. Great reprieve for now, atleast we have still time to look around any other options.

Tallguy11

@Nebulawrote:

@Tallguy11wrote:

@Nebulawrote:

I believe they can just get rid of the rewards, to force everyone to pay $40

Or throttle the data so that we get 3G speeds,

Does the original announcement mention LTE at all?

messing with the rewards and throttling the data would cause a huge uproar again! would be a stupid move on their behalf... i think the smart move would be take a loss on this plan and hope ppl switch away in time for faster technology as it comes avaliable.. and in the future don't make plans / promises you cant keep..

But the original advertisement saying no surprises had no mention of LTE or rewards. So we would no longer have a basis for our complaints. Do you know where I could at least find a communication by PM saying that the data is LTE?

all thier old plans were LTE..the 3g plans were brought in later.. again they have to grandfather the entire plan!!

@protowrote:

Yes, this it totally agreeable. Telus / Koodo should be penalized and not Public Mobile. That's a clear violation of posting / promoting a competitor plan on Public Mobile.  

The only promo they should be posting is and should only be for the benefit of Public Mobile and it's user base.  None of those competitors offer a 90 day plan anyway.

Nobody jump ship.  Don't drink their kool-aid.  I feel sorry for those that unfortunate folks that unwillingly took their BS / FUD offer.

They are the same company so I am sure it wouldn't be considered competition as it is always mentioned as Sister provider

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

MVP

BTW, why is the  “$40 for 4GB” plan  infamous!?

It is actually pretty FAMOUS, especially from yesterday/today! 🙂

What media coverage is/will there be these days?

Nebula

@Tallguy11wrote:

@Nebulawrote:

messing with the rewards and throttling the data would cause a huge uproar again! would be a stupid move on their behalf... i think the smart move would be take a loss on this plan and hope ppl switch away in time for faster technology as it comes avaliable.. and in the future don't make plans / promises you cant keep..

But the original advertisement saying no surprises had no mention of LTE or rewards. So we would no longer have a basis for our complaints. Do you know where I could at least find a communication by PM saying that the data is LTE?

adam_19w

Humm glad public has backed down, but still I’m left unsure if I should just take the deal anyway or wait and see what they do in the future. 

Garry

@pakmodewrote:

@Garrywrote:

Telus will find a legal way to shut this down without any concern or compensation next time and they be the last one laughing here.....

Gary - you could not be more wrong.

Today we witnessed Internet Justice.

We witnessed 2500 filed complaints to the CCTS (they received 9000 last year TOTAL!).

This has emboldened the Internet Mob to be even more vocal and aggressive.  This is akin to their Second Amendment fight. 

The next time Telus does this there will be 5000 CCTS complaints. The Internet Mob will be even more vocal and outraged.  They have learned, they have evolved.  They are smarter and will not lose again. 

Today demonstrated to the Internet Mob that they could win.

They will be even more dogged and determined next time. 

They know how to win now Gary.  And you don't. You're not used to winning are you.

I've been waiting for an opportunity to leave this clusterfuk division of Telus......This is my out and I'm taking it. See ya!

proto

Yes, this it totally agreeable. Telus / Koodo should be penalized and not Public Mobile. That's a clear violation of posting / promoting a competitor plan on Public Mobile.  

The only promo they should be posting is and should only be for the benefit of Public Mobile and it's user base.  None of those competitors offer a 90 day plan anyway.

Nobody jump ship.  Don't drink their kool-aid.  I feel sorry for those that unfortunate folks that unwillingly took their BS / FUD offer.

echasketch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Tallguy11

@Nebulawrote:

ute1978

@Mysterywrote:

@lukevaderwrote:

@Alexowrote:

Found the shill!

Said the troll.

By the way to be a shill I would have to be a customer........ which I am NOT anymore. I left with the $60/10 plan which you were too cheap to follow

?

You like PM so much that you still participate in the forums? But you're not a customer? 

Ok...I guess you have been defending PM's position quite defiantly. But if you're not a customer, why do you care? (respectfully speaking, of course).

@MysteryHe/She is here to spam and troll.

@Lorina88 The $100 credit you should've got during the activation process. The promo code you received as a text needed to redeem when you transfer to koodo. You will need to contact them and see if they will give you that credit. 

Mystery

@lukevaderwrote:

@Alexowrote:

Found the shill!

Said the troll.

By the way to be a shill I would have to be a customer........ which I am NOT anymore. I left with the $60/10 plan which you were too cheap to follow

?

You like PM so much that you still participate in the forums? But you're not a customer? 

Ok...I guess you have been defending PM's position quite defiantly. But if you're not a customer, why do you care? (respectfully speaking, of course).

amallya

@lukevaderwrote:

@Alexowrote:

Found the shill!

Said the troll.

Can you please leave the forums, and delete your account. Thx

ute1978

@tparchiewrote:

If that day comes, good bye all Telus brands.

Bell lost my business 10 years ago.

Will Telus be next?

@tparchieIf Rogers and Freedom Mobile do not appeal to you either, then there is only one communication method left: smoke signals.

Lorina88

Hello Dave, in my last message I asked  the Moderator how will I receive my hundred dollar credit for changing over to Koodo yesterday. As soon as I got the pm text  regarding price change.

I went directly to Koodo and switched my service from public mobile.

When will public mobile send me my hundred dollar credit?  Did you read my previous email?

I have already paid $40 to Koodo And $16 for a new SIM card.

Anticipating your reply, very best regards, Lorraine 

Nebula

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Garrywrote:

Normally, I would agree with you, but this is a tricky situation. The next time they try and change it, the same thing will happen, if not worse. Could they just find a way to shut down PM altogether? Sure, but then they will also lose all of their users, which is far worse than anything else. So, i'm sure if they do shut down, they'll make sure to give everybody an enticing offer just to switch them over to koodo. Similar to what Rogers did/is doing with mobilicity/chatr. If not, I suspect they'll take a loss with these $40/4gb plans, and think twice before making promises that they don't intend on keeping in the future.

I would definitely say bye to the rewards though, there's no way those are going to last much longer, sadly. Bosses gotta make their money somehow.

jpar

Who said there was gonna be an increase at all right now? 

billyschung

Is this some kind of joke? Or do you really treat your customers this idiotically? Thanks to this profit-driven stunt you just pulled, I am now going to keep my eyes open for another plan. Way to go, Telus. So instead of raising the rate by a shocking 25%, are you now going to devise a plan to raise it by a less-shockimg amount so your stupid customers don't notice this time?

Need Help? Let's chat.