Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShayeSwrote:

I don't understand what you're talking about

That's okay...just like my comment above many of us don't understand what PM was talking about their price increase or to have us switch to Koodo

ShayeS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why would they want to lose customers?

ShayeS

I don't understand what you're talking about

Civic_E

@ShayeSwrote:

Hey I guesss I'm the last one to the party but what's happening at Public Mobile and why did I just get an offer to switch over to Koodo?  Is Public Mobile shutting down?  I don't understand the situation, can someone please enlighten me with some legitimate information.  Thank you

I know why they are doing this! Only for iPhone users...to give more space in their status bar.

"Public Mobile" takes up a lot of space and Koodo is simple one word.

This change helps iphoneX users a lot! Now Apple does not have re-design their iphoneIX

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShayeS, Public Mobile is not shutting down.  They are simply trying to move as many customers (thos on the fall 2016 promotion -mostly/for now) over to Koodo.

@ShayeSwrote:

Hey I guesss I'm the last one to the party but what's happening at Public Mobile and why did I just get an offer to switch over to Koodo?  Is Public Mobile shutting down?  I don't understand the situation, can someone please enlighten me with some legitimate information.  Thank you

No one knows why. 

ShayeS

Shan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm interested to see if you got a reply or had the chance to check this out?

thanks

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DavidNSwrote:

ANY chance of having brand loyalty with Telus = Koodo = Public Mobile is gone.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to exploit them for as long as possible the same way they tried to exploit me for the benefit of the executive level employees and shareholders.

That's actually a very good way of looking at it. Well said.

DavidNS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stallaepwrote:Will Telus take the high road here and extend the offer to at least May 15th to allow everyone to make a fair and smooth transition?

For me, that question is moot.  Telus (who owns both Koodo and Public Mobile which means by going to Koodo you're continuing to support the people who tried to raise the rate on your plan by 25%) in both word and deed has shown they don't care about customer loyalty.  The only thing stopping them was that they made a "no rate change, no surprises" promise heard round the world.  Rest assured they will NEVER make that "mistake" again and will change language everywhere moving forward to ensure their right to raise the cost of any plan when they see fit.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to continue paying my plan.  If they try again to "surprise" me I am going to file a complaint once again, and if in the end I lose and/or Telus forces my hand by outright closing PM, I will move to another carrier (unless another carrier offers a comparable deal sooner as it stands Virgin Mobile postpaid is within 5 bucks a month of me pulling the trigger).

ANY chance of having brand loyalty with Telus = Koodo = Public Mobile is gone.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to exploit them for as long as possible the same way they tried to exploit me for the benefit of the executive level employees and shareholders.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

And you don’t think Koodo will ever raise prices?

ToniCipriani

@sheytoonwrote:

@stallaep

Why not stay with PM for now? Price increase is cancelled.

They did threaten to increase it again...

@stallaep

Why not stay with PM for now? Price increase is cancelled.

stallaep

Hey Dave,

Here's some more feedback and I hope it comes through just as loud and clear.

I checked in at my local Koodo store yesterday and was told that I would not receive any credit for the remaining 2½ months I just renewed on my 4GB for $40 plan.  They told me the offer is only good until March 15th so I would be walking away from two months of prepaid service and most of all my data at PM.

They said that's what the $100 bill credit was for, but I said, that should be to offset the fact that I would loose my accumulated discounts and credits with PM, which were a big reason I joined, and encouraged so many of my friends to join. Then there is the hassle and the cost of a new SIM card, so that $100 probably comes shy of the true cost to customers.

I mean, come on...  These are all Telus companies here...  Not like we're asking a competitor to absorb a cost they they did not get the benefit from.

If it's too much of a hassle for PM and Koodo to figure out how to extend the credit, then the only fair thing to do would be to extend the Offer to switch to Koodo by another 2 months and give us all a chance to migrate smoothly in a cost effective way.  I was told the current offer expires on March 15th.  I just renewed my 90 days on Feb.13th so even if I waited until March 15th to switch, I would still be abandoning $80 and paying for a new SIM card with Koodo.  Not to mention loosing the flexibility to use my 12 GB of data any time over a 3 month period.

Will Telus take the high road here and extend the offer to at least May 15th to allow everyone to make a fair and smooth transition?

Watoko

@torontokriswrote:

@Watokowrote:

Honestly all this confusion about the Koodo offers going around right now could be clarified and straightened out once and for all if PM released an official statement. Where are you Dave???

The text message you receive is the official message! Also your asking PM's Dave to confirm / clear up Koodo offers?

Yeah, but like the discussions on the forum talking about their own offers are then confusing everyone else who may or may not have gotten the same offer. It would be nice to have an official thread to direct people to, given that we do know select customers receive certain offers, might as well officially publicize it. No use keeping it a secret if they want people to move to Koodo...

@Watokowrote:

Honestly all this confusion about the Koodo offers going around right now could be clarified and straightened out once and for all if PM released an official statement. Where are you Dave???

Asked for this many times was hoping to get some announcement or correct info as to what is really going on.  @Dave_M, @Brooke_C.  Any way to get some clarification and remove some of the confusion going around the board right now.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rockdaddy22

Yes specific PM to Koodo offers. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Watokowrote:

The text message you receive is the official message! Also your asking PM's Dave to confirm / clear up Koodo offers?

Watoko

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@singhcanadawrote:

Hi,

i did not get any message for $40 4GB plane to switch to Koodo.

can I get this promo code 4GB or 5GB in $40 with Koodo.

i am interested to switch an I have left only one day.

Regards,

6xxxxxx3

If you didnt get the text message and you are not on the $120/12GB/90 day plan you are probably not eligable. 

Text offer to 5133 (worked for me) or 5153. Assuming you didnt tell them to unsubcribe offers you may recieve a text back.

You are more likely eligible for the GOKOODOR454

Go to koodo site (when your not logged in) add any plan when you go to checkout it sya senter promo code add this code and if it says sucess your validated

Rockdaddy22

Unfortunately this deal is only available to people on the 4gb plan. 

singhcanada

2GB in $40 unlimited calls local 

Rockdaddy22

@singhcanadawrote:

Hi,

Regards,

6xxxxxx3

What plan are you currently on?

singhcanada

Hi,

Regards,

6xxxxxx3

spaceman

they did that already

PhoneSeeker

moving-up-the-value-chain-1

"In terms of being beneficial in that regard moving people of the value chain of pre to post migrations that there's a lot of opportunities for us to pursue in that regard."

-Telus CEO (https://seekingalpha.com/article/4144853-telus-tu-ceo-darren-entwistle-q4-2017-results-earnings-call...)

@rpatel9wrote:

So what does that mean, nothing changed and not to worry? Please resend SMS and clarify in simple short English those whom you had sent SMS please.

Price increase is cancelled for now.  You can still take the offer from Koodo if you wish.

themisfit
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I contacted Koodo and was able to change from the 4GB to the 5GB plan For both me and my wife. Also PM me if you need a referral code.

Heyadambrewsmit

So, I signed up for the Koodo $40 for 4gb plan for my wife and kid last week, after getting the message.  Now that people are getting 5gb for $40 for making the switch, I feel a little cheesed.  I am wondering if there's anything I can do to get the 5gb deal.  I was at Koodo today and the CSR said that I needed to get escalated and a text from Public Mobile with the new offer code on it.  Any ideas on how I can get this?

Thanks,

Adam

TheOldVR

I may  be missing something but it appears that the last response or comment from @Dave_M was a week ago with the apolgy letter.... nothing since, no responses to anything in this thread.

Sounds odd for an apology but perhaps I've missed something....

Need Help? Let's chat.