Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@canucks4lifewrote:

CCTS received more than 1600 complaints over Public Mobile $40/4GB price hike

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/20/ccts-received-more-than-1600-complaints-over-public-mobile-40-4gb...

Based on the article, it sounds like most, if not all of the complaints will be rejected because people didn't contact PM and give them enough time for a resolution.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korthwrote:

I use the Sumas border crossing.

Most times they just let me drive through, and of course I don't pay any attention to my cellphone while driving through heavily-policed border zone.

Some times they make me submit to "random" inspections or paperwork or whatever.  Happens to us all.  The exit is a secure air-lock sort of room with a sign on the exit saying "Entering the USA".  There used to be an actual line painted on the ground, but I think they removed it.  I've stood on one side while experimentally moving my phone over this line, both ways, multiple times.  In and out of the Telus service area within a second and within a handspan.  I know radio doesn't normally work that way, not without multiple arrays of calibrated transmitters, but still impressive (to me) that they can "secure" national borders against cellular invasion.

Ha! I use that same border crossing quite often too. Normally I put my phone in airplane mode before crossing but the times I forget I ALWAYS get the "Welcome to USA" text right as I'm pulling away from the border guard, like within 50ft of the booth. Almost spooky.

I can't verify the indoor thing *knocks on wood* but based on what I just wrote I believe you.

@canucks4lifewrote:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/20/ccts-received-more-than-1600-complaints-over-public-mobile-40-4gb...

MobileSyrup got this information from the official CCTS statement.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

So ... the letter basically says

"hi, we're the CCTS, here's our preamble"

"here's the same confirmation you already read at PM in A letter from Dave"

"if you do not have any more complaints or issues then case closed our job is done"

"thank you, come again"

Noosiekins

@torontokriswrote:

Wait your saying your phone instatly goes from Home/Public Mobile to Roaming/no signal the second you cross the border, and back as you waive your hand?? 

What border cross is this? Id love to see video evidence of this. Or you mean there is a phone handshack.. yet your phone stays on the same PM tower?

My phone stays on Public Mobile for a good 5+ minutes crossing into Niagara NY before it cuts off... maybe 10+ minutes if I go on the Niagara Scenic Parkway route in the US

And my phone has GPS so it knows I am in the USA. However there is still some PM signal across the border so the phone stays connected.

No way! My phone wig out of PM or Telus signal before I even cross the border. It'll be in no man zone for a bit 

torontokris

@Watokowrote:

Got this this morning. Good job everyone. I wonder how many complaints they received.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS). The CCTS is an independent agency with a mandate to receive, facilitate the resolution of, and, if necessary, resolve eligible customer complaints relating to certain retail telecommunications services and retail residential subscription television services.

We have received your complaint dated February 15, 2018.

Please note that the CCTS has received confirmation from Public Mobile on February 16, 2018 that they would no longer be increasing your monthly price plan at this time. We would like to confirm if this has caused another issue that you would like to pursue or if we can withdraw the complaint and close this incident.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your complaint, or anything contained in this correspondence, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

CCTS Assessment Team

As I stated once PM cancelled the increase (that didnt even take effect yet) CCTS can no longer do much and will close the complaint (probably part of the reason PM backed down). However it still opens the door to those who switch to Koodo could then reply to CCTS saying they switched because of the threat of increase and lost their PM plan/rewards (also probably why PM did help one member with a bonus).

@pizzawrote:

@wetcoasterwrote:

If you have any intention on staying in Canada for a while (ie more than 6 month / a year) you might want to start building your credit history asap.

I totally agreed and I've tried, but I've been in Canada too long to start building credit with my current visa... A complicated situation boiled down to the fact that I was INITIALLY told (incorrectly) by my bank that I was not able to obtain any sort of Canadian credit card because I was here on a student visa. Never thought to question it.

Fast-forward 3+ years when I'm switching to a new bank and they're offering me credit cards, but I'm not eligible because I've already been in Canada too long. Can't win.

It's a constant battle with my (multiple) banks to try to get any credit to just start BUILDING credit. Thanks for the concern, though!

This is getting off topic - I'll send you a PM.

torontokris

@Korthwrote:

@torontokriswrote:

Wait your saying your phone instatly goes from Home/Public Mobile to Roaming/no signal the second you cross the border, and back as you waive your hand?? 

What border cross is this? Id love to see video evidence of this. Or you mean there is a phone handshack.. yet your phone stays on the same PM tower?

Most times they just let me drive through, and of course I don't pay any attention to my cellphone while driving through heavily-policed border zone.

Some times they make me submit to "random" inspections or paperwork or whatever.  Happens to us all.  The exit is a secure air-lock sort of room with a sign on the exit saying "Entering the USA".  There used to be an actual line painted on the ground, but I think they removed it.  I've stood on one side while experimentally moving my phone over this line, both ways, multiple times.  In and out of the Telus service area within a second and within a handspan.  I know radio doesn't normally work that way, not without multiple arrays of calibrated transmitters, but still impressive (to me) that they can "secure" national borders against cellular invasion.

I am into radios and radio frequencies and still dont understand how they could block a signal in a room on one side as you cross the imaginary border. They could certainly have cell blockers active but I highly doubt they will/could be set up exactly to stop a signal as you cross a line in a room. Maybe its possible, but not with my understanding of radios.

pizza
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@wetcoasterwrote:

If you have any intention on staying in Canada for a while (ie more than 6 month / a year) you might want to start building your credit history asap.

I totally agreed and I've tried, but I've been in Canada too long to start building credit with my current visa... A complicated situation boiled down to the fact that I was INITIALLY told (incorrectly) by my bank that I was not able to obtain any sort of Canadian credit card because I was here on a student visa. Never thought to question it.

Fast-forward 3+ years when I'm switching to a new bank and they're offering me credit cards, but I'm not eligible because I've already been in Canada too long. Can't win.

It's a constant battle with my (multiple) banks to try to get any credit to just start BUILDING credit. Thanks for the concern, though!

@pizzawrote:

@Jonavinwrote:

I'd imagine being pushed towards postpaid plans that require a credit check would also be a problem for some people whether they have good credit or not.

as a non-Canadian with *no* Canadian credit, I assumed this was going to be a problem for me. 

The problem would be the missing Canadian credit history, not your citizenship. (Been there...)

dr-et

i have a hard time understanding the difference unless one is on contract.

we pay ahead for services to be received.

postpaid the wait to be paid for services that they have already have provided.

thus if one uses services for afew thousand and not pay they lose.

They can never lose a penny from us..

:-}

Watoko

Got this this morning. Good job everyone. I wonder how many complaints they received.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS). The CCTS is an independent agency with a mandate to receive, facilitate the resolution of, and, if necessary, resolve eligible customer complaints relating to certain retail telecommunications services and retail residential subscription television services.

We have received your complaint dated February 15, 2018.

Please note that the CCTS has received confirmation from Public Mobile on February 16, 2018 that they would no longer be increasing your monthly price plan at this time. We would like to confirm if this has caused another issue that you would like to pursue or if we can withdraw the complaint and close this incident.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your complaint, or anything contained in this correspondence, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

CCTS Assessment Team

pizza

@Jonavinwrote:

I'd imagine being pushed towards postpaid plans that require a credit check would also be a problem for some people whether they have good credit or not.

as a non-Canadian with *no* Canadian credit, I assumed this was going to be a problem for me. 

@torontokriswrote:

Jonavin

I never really expected this plan to last forever but at the same time, I did not expect it so soon. 

My biggest gripe with this is that I depend on the flexibility of the 12GB across 3 months. A more suitable monthly replacement will need 6GB to be equivalent to me. The other issue is with credits for add-ons that are not supposed to ever expire (e.g. $30 for 1GB). Well, now they do expire if you're forced to leave. I'd imagine being pushed towards postpaid plans that require a credit check would also be a problem for some people whether they have good credit or not.

McGriff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

While they say, "While all good things must come to an end at some  point - that point is not today," they also said this not too long ago, "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Which statement shall they honour??

torontokris

@Korthwrote:

@Noosiekinswrote: 

I wonder if those that live near the border can take advantage of it... ya know jump across the border once or twice a week 

I don't know the answer to that.

But I do travel across the border fairly frequently.  And - I don't know how they do it, what kind of crazy overkill hardware they've installed - but my phone beeps (as it's configured to do) to indicate signal handover between networks/towers the very same moment I move it across the invisible line.  I've literally held my phone in hand and waved it back and forth "across the border", it instantly knows when it's in and out of my local service area.  I should note that my phone has no GPS at all (lol), so it can only know "exact" location through radio triangulation.

But this is a well-equipped high-traffic border station.  Normal radio communications near normal borders are probably far more blurry, far less accurately defined.  Just saying that the technological capability is there ... I wouldn't be surprised if it's used near borders whenever it can "make" more money than it costs.

My phone stays on Public Mobile for a good 5+ minutes crossing into Niagara NY before it cuts off... maybe 10+ minutes if I go on the Niagara Scenic Parkway route in the US

And my phone has GPS so it knows I am in the USA. However there is still some PM signal across the border so the phone stays connected.

@Noosiekinswrote: 

I wonder if those that live near the border can take advantage of it... ya know jump across the border once or twice a week 

I don't know the answer to that.

But I do travel across the border fairly frequently.  And - I don't know how they do it, what kind of crazy overkill hardware they've installed - but my phone beeps (as it's configured to do) to indicate signal handover between networks/towers the very same moment I move it across the invisible line.  I've literally held my phone in hand and waved it back and forth "across the border", it instantly knows when it's in and out of my local service area.  I should note that my phone has no GPS at all (lol), so it can only know "exact" location through radio triangulation.

But this is a well-equipped high-traffic border station.  Normal radio communications near normal borders are probably far more blurry, far less accurately defined.  Just saying that the technological capability is there ... I wouldn't be surprised if it's used near borders whenever it can "make" more money than it costs.

methyl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Civic_Ewrote:

@Rockdaddy22wrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

What a joke!!!

So I have already moved to Koodo because today Feb 16th was my renewal date for next 90 days. Now I lose the plan!!! and also had to pay for Koodo SIM card! !! !

@Civic_E good to see you again. I can’t believe you got screwed in all this 😢

@Rockdaddy22The screw up benefitted me though. Back with PM and got more than i lost or had asked for.

Can you elaborate?

Civic_E

@Rockdaddy22wrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

What a joke!!!

So I have already moved to Koodo because today Feb 16th was my renewal date for next 90 days. Now I lose the plan!!! and also had to pay for Koodo SIM card! !! !

@Civic_E good to see you again. I can’t believe you got screwed in all this 😢

@Rockdaddy22The screw up benefitted me though. Back with PM and got more than i lost or had asked for.

Noosiekins

@koimr1wrote:

Heh, do you remember this?

Big 3 telecoms launch 'Fair for Canada' campaign against Verizon

Yes! But it has yet to scare Robelus enough

Noosiekins

@Korthwrote:

@Noosiekinswrote:
Imagine if they open it up to "North America" ... 

That's just never gonna happen unless the Big Three (Big Four) oligopoly is toppled.

"Local calling" to North America (or even just Canada+USA) goes two ways.  I doubt many Canadians would pay Big Three premiums for Big Three limitations ... we'd all be eager to jump onto one of those frequent Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile promos with basically Unlimited Everything for about USD $20/month (even if that converts to CAD $30/month).

one can dream...

koimr1

@Korthwrote:

@Noosiekinswrote:

That's just never gonna happen unless the Big Three (Big Four) oligopoly is toppled.

"Local calling" to North America (or even just Canada+USA) goes two ways.  I doubt many Canadians would pay Big Three premiums for Big Three limitations ... we'd all be eager to jump onto one of those frequent Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile promos with basically Unlimited Everything for about USD $20/month (even if that converts to CAD $30/month).

Heh, do you remember this?

Big 3 telecoms launch 'Fair for Canada' campaign against Verizon

@Noosiekinswrote:

Noosiekins

@srlawrenwrote: Also, I'm pretty sure the US carriers have a clause where it has to be less than 50% of your monthly usage is in Canada, or something to that effect, to prevent such a scenario.

Noosiekins

@mimmowrote:

@Noosiekinswrote:

@ryanmobilewrote:

"While all good things must come to an end at some  point - that point is not today."

You admitted that there will be no surprises. So im not sure why you have this line in your response. Maybe focus on changing plans for new customers and leave the existing ones alone as promised.  

Soon as the plan changes again everyone will complain again even with the warning above... smh 

Thank you for continuing the plan and I hope you always do.

I can't wait to see how all this plays out between all the carriers. I also wonder if It's cheaper to find a friend in the states to set up a Verizon or T mobile phone for you WITH a roaming deal and if that would still be cheaper than paying a Canadian carrier

then everone that calls you would be paying long distance

No one really calls but the bank or job prospects lol. My whole family including extended all uses whatsapp now

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmowrote:

@Noosiekinswrote:
I can't wait to see how all this plays out between all the carriers. I also wonder if It's cheaper to find a friend in the states to set up a Verizon or T mobile phone for you WITH a roaming deal and if that would still be cheaper than paying a Canadian carrier

Also, I'm pretty sure the US carriers have a clause where it has to be less than 50% of your monthly usage is in Canada, or something to that effect, to prevent such a scenario.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Noosiekinswrote:

@ryanmobilewrote:

"While all good things must come to an end at some  point - that point is not today."

You admitted that there will be no surprises. So im not sure why you have this line in your response. Maybe focus on changing plans for new customers and leave the existing ones alone as promised.  

Soon as the plan changes again everyone will complain again even with the warning above... smh 

Noosiekins

@ryanmobilewrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.